• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How much is too much for Klay

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Klay's Magic # is now 21? 21 days until the deadline to get a deal done this year?

I never fault a player for wanting to get paid, but if he wants to win here, I still think he's going to have to take less than the max.

Is he a better player than Parsons, Bowl cut Hawyard, Eric Gordon and some of the other players who signed larger deals? I think so. But a "hometown discount" would help the team this year and into the future.

rayhl111

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Klay is an excellent two way guy but I doubt he'll ever be dominant or elite. It comes down to what you a pay for a 22 pt scorer, a very good D SG, and really not stellar in any other area - maybe shooting the 3s. He's 13 mil IMHO. The Ws ran the #s on him and decided he was a better fit than Love so you kind of know they are going to pay up for him.

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Klay is an excellent two way guy but I doubt he'll ever be dominant or elite. It comes down to what you a pay for a 22 pt scorer, a very good D SG, and really not stellar in any other area - maybe shooting the 3s. He's 13 mil IMHO. The Ws ran the #s on him and decided he was a better fit than Love so you kind of know they are going to pay up for him.

How would you define "Dominant or Elite"? Seems like we discussed the Dubs defense as "above average/elite level" these last few years, so where would you rank Klay in the league currently?

How many other 2-way SG's in this league would you take today, if salary wasn't an issue. Would I love to have Lebron/Durant vs Klay, yes. I wouldn't call Lebron a SG though. Durant's best position is 3?

I would strongly stand behind the statement that Klay is a top 5 , two-way SG at this moment. I could probably say top 3 and not blink. Is he the best in the league? These next few years will define it.

rayhl111

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBK: I define elite as a go to guy who can w some consistency and under duress take over a game. JRich used to even though he was somewhat awkward. Mitch did a lot. Even a guy like Manu (whose career avg's - I'm guessing here - about 14 per game) is elite. It's players who want the ball and deliver results in tough times. Joe Johnson is not elite even thogh he wants the ball so wanting the ball in crunch times is not the sole factor. Klay might be a top 3 SG in the league. But I don't think he is aggresive enough. That could change as his game is still progressing. Klay needs to board more and go the hole more. Once that is accomplished, he'll be much closer to elite status.

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBK: I define elite as a go to guy who can w some consistency and under duress take over a game. JRich used to even though he was somewhat awkward. Mitch did a lot. Even a guy like Manu (whose career avg's - I'm guessing here - about 14 per game) is elite. It's players who want the ball and deliver results in tough times. Joe Johnson is not elite even thogh he wants the ball so wanting the ball in crunch times is not the sole factor. Klay might be a top 3 SG in the league. But I don't think he is aggresive enough. That could change as his game is still progressing. Klay needs to board more and go the hole more. Once that is accomplished, he'll be much closer to elite status.

See what your saying, Klay may never be that type of a player if that's how you want to "define elite".

But he's still top 5 SG in the league in my book. There's also going to be nights where he puts up 25/4/4/2/1 and limits the other teams best offensive threat to an "off night".

And maybe for this team, that's enough. His shot looked really good these last 2 games, he's not hesitating, and the balls are ripping the bottom of the net.

In this new scheme that Kerr has installed, I wouldn't be surprised to see KLay cut to the hole more and get more finishes at the rim and or gets fouled in the process. It seemed like the DUbs shot 100 FT's in the 1st half.

CohanHater

Long Time Warrior Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Kobe thinks Klay's ready to take the leap.

Klaus built the tool set, not let's see that he has the mental toughness to stay focused and not get rattled.

I like the way Klay has been under control with the ball around 15 feet. He looks like he knows that he has options which has slowed the game down for him. It could be a huge season for the Warriors.

Then again... It's only preseason:hope:

rayhl111

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious: why doesn't Klay hit the boards more often?

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious: why doesn't Klay hit the boards more often?

I'm going to guess its a biproduct of the offensive scheming.

If you notice, last year atleast would have the ball 85-90% of the time, and start the offense. Klay being the best defender / tied with AI#9, would have to always rotate to the top of the key cover the break , players leaking out the other way down the court.

I"m guessing Klay could crash the court more, but due to spacing and where he's normally playing on the perimeter its hard for him to get down there to get in position.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to guess its a biproduct of the offensive scheming.

If you notice, last year atleast would have the ball 85-90% of the time, and start the offense. Klay being the best defender / tied with AI#9, would have to always rotate to the top of the key cover the break , players leaking out the other way down the court.

I"m guessing Klay could crash the court more, but due to spacing and where he's normally playing on the perimeter its hard for him to get down there to get in position.

Sounds right on offense. On defense, he most often is paired with the best perimeter player on the other team defending them. He can't give as much help and/or his man has the ball the majority of the time. He's the guy who's closing out on the ball, which pulls him away from the boards. It's not really about effort, but more what he's doing defensively and where he's positioned on the court.

JustOneDennisBergkamp

Gunner for Life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that going into last season, you would have identified Iggy as the team's shut down defender for prolific 2s and 3s. Klay has made himself into a top-flight defender, and he should be the guy covering their "guy" at crunch time, but he'll need help from AI and others throughout the rest of the game so that his shooting doesn't suffer.

As to the rebounds, yeah, if your job is to stay in their best player's pocket, ain't a whole lot else you can be asked to do.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No disrespect intended, but I'm sure glad you're not my team's GM. This kid is a "build around" and not "trade to improve other areas" kind of player.

I couldn't have said it better. While I love Curry and his game, when you consider Thompson's total game, he's worth at least what Curry gets. Thompson is much younger than A.I. but he's got a great offensive game to go with a more than solid defensive skills, bordering on a "lock-down" defender. Thompson has come a long way in the last 2 years by expanding his game to more than a 3-point shooter. Both Curry and Thompson have the advantage of having former NBA player dads and great parents which, in my opinion, translates to them having a great work ethic as well as just being good people who will never bring embarrassment to their team.

I'd love to see these two (Curry and Thompson) play their whole careers together.