• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How much is too much for Klay

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's going to get an extension, I'm guessing the FO puts on the knee pads and shells out atleast 8 a year, I don't imagine they'll go crazy and give him more than Steph ($11 mil a year).

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steph's deal will not be a factor at all in determining the value for Klay. Steph was coming off a major injury in back to back seasons. The Warriors and Curry were both taking a risk by signing the deal. The Warriors would have been stuck if Curry's injury lingered and he wasn't able to produce. Curry would have been playing below market value if he was able to stay healthy and produce.

Klay's shown that he's not only durable but he's a top 5 SG in the NBA. His value is easily double digit millions per year. I would say his deal will be closer to what Iguodala signed for. I could see 4 years 48M (12M per). I think the Warriors would likely have to pay a minimum of 4 years 40M.

The past few years SG's deals have been going lower and lower. Monta recently signed a 3 year 24M deal (8M per). Ginobili averages 7.5M, Afflalo 7.5M, Derozan 9.5M, Martin 6.5M, Redick 6.5M. The fact is Klay is better than all those guys.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's going to get an extension, I'm guessing the FO puts on the knee pads and shells out atleast 8 a year, I don't imagine they'll go crazy and give him more than Steph ($11 mil a year).

Interesting question. If Klay's agent made the argument that he's now the 2nd best 2 guard in the association (Harden being the top dog) I couldn't discount it, considering his age, continued improvement and the fact that he's a rare two way player at his position. Wade is old, Beal is still getting there..not Ellis or Stephenson - Derozan, Matthews? Just thinking about it convinces me more than ever that he shouldn't be moved. I'll say pretty close to Curry.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steph's deal will not be a factor at all in determining the value for Klay. Steph was coming off a major injury in back to back seasons. The Warriors and Curry were both taking a risk by signing the deal. The Warriors would have been stuck if Curry's injury lingered and he wasn't able to produce. Curry would have been playing below market value if he was able to stay healthy and produce.

Klay's shown that he's not only durable but he's a top 5 SG in the NBA. His value is easily double digit millions per year. I would say his deal will be closer to what Iguodala signed for. I could see 4 years 48M (12M per). I think the Warriors would likely have to pay a minimum of 4 years 40M.

The past few years SG's deals have been going lower and lower. Monta recently signed a 3 year 24M deal (8M per). Ginobili averages 7.5M, Afflalo 7.5M, Derozan 9.5M, Martin 6.5M, Redick 6.5M. The fact is Klay is better than all those guys.

Exactly what I was going to say. Curry's deal was made at a time when Curry's health was a HUGE question mark. I doubt it'll have anything to do with Klay's deal.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Thompson but a lot of teams do and if the Warriors want to improve themselves up front he may be one of the pieces they need to part with. If he gets a reasonably priced extension he will be easier to trade should they decide to go that route.

JustOneDennisBergkamp

Gunner for Life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Thompson but a lot of teams do and if the Warriors want to improve themselves up front he may be one of the pieces they need to part with. If he gets a reasonably priced extension he will be easier to trade should they decide to go that route.
No disrespect intended, but I'm sure glad you're not my team's GM. This kid is a "build around" and not "trade to improve other areas" kind of player.

He''ll get around what Curry's getting, and he'll be worth every penny since he brings his A-game to both ends of the court.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No disrespect intended, but I'm sure glad you're not my team's GM. This kid is a "build around" and not "trade to improve other areas" kind of player.

He''ll get around what Curry's getting, and he'll be worth every penny since he brings his A-game to both ends of the court.

Maybe, not a "build around" guy but a very capable player. I don't think the Dubs want to get rid of him but if they want to improve up front which they really need to do IMNSHO, you have to give up something good to get something good. For instance, if he is the final piece the Wolves want as part of a package for Love I could see the Dubs going for it.

If you wouldn't trade Thompson and say Barnes for Love then I don't think I'd want you as my GM either.

CohanHater

Long Time Warrior Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is exactly the point people are missing. It's just a matter of relative value. 2 guards (unless you have someone who is an MVP candidate, are simply not worth a huge contract.) You can get a MLE type of guy and not have a huge drop off (as good as Klay has been). If Klay is asking for anything in the 10M or up range, I think it's too much (Which he'll definitely get and has earned). Don't get me wrong, I love how hard he's worked and developed... but the way the salary cap works these days, that kind of money for #3 guy on your team is setting yourself up for mediocrity. I'd much rather put that money in the front court.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how much mom and dad will increase his allowance to? :D

JustOneDennisBergkamp

Gunner for Life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, not a "build around" guy but a very capable player. I don't think the Dubs want to get rid of him but if they want to improve up front which they really need to do IMNSHO, you have to give up something good to get something good. For instance, if he is the final piece the Wolves want as part of a package for Love I could see the Dubs going for it.

If you wouldn't trade Thompson and say Barnes for Love then I don't think I'd want you as my GM either.
More than likely no one would want either of us as a GM.

If Love would come signed for five years, yeah, that deal might have to be made, but other than something incredibly favorable, Klay is arguably as valuable as Steph since he also plays tough D.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More than likely no one would want either of us as a GM.

If Love would come signed for five years, yeah, that deal might have to be made, but other than something incredibly favorable, Klay is arguably as valuable as Steph since he also plays tough D.

We disagree.

JustOneDennisBergkamp

Gunner for Life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We disagree.
Yes, we do, but consider this: since Steph isn't even half the defender that Klay is, he would need to be twice the offensive player simply to be as good as Klay. Last I checked, you play both ways in The Association.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can get a MLE type of guy and not have a huge drop off (as good as Klay has been).

Is this just your opinion, or is based upon some metric you've looked at? True two way players are rare at any position, and Klay can guard both guard positions and small forwards, so he is very versatile. Perimeter defense is crucial in today's NBA game, and with Klay and Iggy we are the enviable position of having two great perimeter defenders. I'm not so sure that's so easily replaced.

JustOneDennisBergkamp

Gunner for Life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this just your opinion, or is based upon some metric you've looked at? True two way players are rare at any position, and Klay can guard both guard positions and small forwards, so he is very versatile. Perimeter defense is crucial in today's NBA game, and with Klay and Iggy we are the enviable position of having two great perimeter defenders. I'm not so sure that's so easily replaced.
As we are beyond the era of center domination on offense, stopping today's scorers, the elite twos and threes, is of prime importance to defending well. The Warriors have the basketball equivalent of two lock down cornerbacks that don't need help very often from their mates.

And guess what? We have yet to see the best of Klay Thompson. Scary.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, we do, but consider this: since Steph isn't even half the defender that Klay is, he would need to be twice the offensive player simply to be as good as Klay. Last I checked, you play both ways in The Association.

Point taken, but there is a lot more that goes into what a player means to a team than just his offensive and defensive numbers.

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As we are beyond the era of center domination on offense, stopping today's scorers, the elite twos and threes, is of prime importance to defending well. The Warriors have the basketball equivalent of two lock down cornerbacks that don't need help very often from their mates.

And guess what? We have yet to see the best of Klay Thompson. Scary.

This, Klay is a deadly shooter, and when the lane was open this year, he was able to drive around his man, and finish strongly at the hole.

Next year, I expect more of this, especially with a motion type of offense that Kerr that is wanting to put in

JustOneDennisBergkamp

Gunner for Life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CohanHater

Long Time Warrior Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's an opinion that I think many would agree with. Now everything is stat based, I'm not a stat guy. Take a look at teams that do well consistently... how many of them have 2-way 2 guards? I never said anything that said perimiter defense isn't crucial. In fact, I've been saying exactly that. You can find a guy pretty cheap at the 2 that plays perimiter D and can hit open 3s on the cheap. He's not going to be as big of a threat as Klay. I don't think you would dump Klay for nothing, but if you have a chance at Love, then I would jump on it.

JustOneDennisBergkamp

Gunner for Life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's an opinion that I think many would agree with. Now everything is stat based, I'm not a stat guy. Take a look at teams that do well consistently... how many of them have 2-way 2 guards? I never said anything that said perimiter defense isn't crucial. In fact, I've been saying exactly that. You can find a guy pretty cheap at the 2 that plays perimiter D and can hit open 3s on the cheap. He's not going to be as big of a threat as Klay. I don't think you would dump Klay for nothing, but if you have a chance at Love, then I would jump on it.
Perhaps if Klay was approaching 30, I would be inclined to agree that his position might be easier to fill than most. But he is still young and hasn't reached his full potential yet. NBA All-Star potential. Team USA potential.

To let this kid go for anything short of a deal that would make the Dubs title contenders would be a crime.