• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How much is too much for Klay

CohanHater

Long Time Warrior Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps if Klay was approaching 30, I would be inclined to agree that his position might be easier to fill than most. But he is still young and hasn't reached his full potential yet. NBA All-Star potential. Team USA potential.

To let this kid go for anything short of a deal that would make the Dubs title contenders would be a crime.

Tons of potential... next year, yes. But what about the year after that. What's it gonna cost to keep him?
And I agree, no need to dump him. Love is arguably the best 4 in the league. He's definitely top 5. I think that pushes the team up a notch, personally.

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tons of potential... next year, yes. But what about the year after that. What's it gonna cost to keep him?
And I agree, no need to dump him. Love is arguably the best 4 in the league. He's definitely top 5. I think that pushes the team up a notch, personally.

It does until you factor in the fact that we would have to start HB at the 3 , who struggled, even when heas there with the 1st unit.

Our bench as is, consists of Nedo, Green, Kuzmic. Blake is gone, JC is probably gone.

Its like taking 2 steps forward, but taking 3 steps back, that's something Dub teams from the early 2000's would have done. If its HB+Lee for Love, I could get behind that deal, Klay present is greater than HB's future at this point.

CohanHater

Long Time Warrior Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Barnes at the 3 struggled in a system without structure
2) You can always bring in a Sefolosha-like player to split those minutes
3) Draymond can play minutes at the 3 as well.

I think it's like taking 1 step back and 3 forward. Love would space the entire floor and make room for a slasher like Barnes to succeed.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gordon Hayward just signed an offer sheet for 4 years 63M, coming out to an average salary of 15.75M per year.

Hayward essentially just set the market price for Klay. Again, I love Klay but there's no way the Warriors can give him anywhere close to 16M a year.

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gordon Hayward just signed an offer sheet for 4 years 63M, coming out to an average salary of 15.75M per year.

Hayward essentially just set the market price for Klay. Again, I love Klay but there's no way the Warriors can give him anywhere close to 16M a year.

:wtf2:

What exactly has Hayward done to deserve 15 mil a year? :scratch::scratch::scratch:

I see a lockout coming in the next 2 years, owners are throwing money around , even with a "soft cap/luxury tax".

If the Dubs S&T Jordan Crawford for cap relief somehow, I still don't see how Klay gets more than 11 from us

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Contract #s this FA have been insane. A LOT of people are overpaying for players.

Jazz will probably match that offer sheet, too.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marc Stein is reporting Chandler Parsons agreed an offer sheet with the Mavs for 3 years in excess of 45M. 15-16M seems to be the magic number for swingmen.

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even with the Cap at a all time high,

I would imagine if Klay really wanted to stay here, he's going to have to leave some $$$ on the table.

He's on contract this year, and if he plays hard ball, then I say ship him out to MINN for Love. We shouldn't pay Klay more than Steph.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even with the Cap at a all time high,

I would imagine if Klay really wanted to stay here, he's going to have to leave some $$$ on the table.

He's on contract this year, and if he plays hard ball, then I say ship him out to MINN for Love. We shouldn't pay Klay more than Steph.

A few of the bay area writers have already said that Klay is going to seek the max. And really why shouldn't he? If those guys are getting the cash out, he should too. I don't blame guys for getting their money. I blame the guys who give it to them.

Klay's contract demands are going to really dictate his future with the Warriors. With Bogut, Iguodala, Curry and Lee all already locked into big contracts, it's going to severely handcuff the Warriors and what they do to field a balanced roster.

CohanHater

Long Time Warrior Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few of the bay area writers have already said that Klay is going to seek the max. And really why shouldn't he? If those guys are getting the cash out, he should too. I don't blame guys for getting their money. I blame the guys who give it to them.

I wonder what his allowance will be if he gets the max

SoPortland

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's getting the max... nothing they can do about it. The market is dictating as such. I wouldn't be surprised if the Lakers offered him as much next season. He's getting paid.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's getting the max... nothing they can do about it. The market is dictating as such. I wouldn't be surprised if the Lakers offered him as much next season. He's getting paid.

No one said he wasn't getting the max, just likely not from the Warriors.

If he's not willing to take a home team discount, he'll likely be moved at some point. The only way I could imagine them keeping Klay would be by trading Iguodala or getting Lee off the books somehow, while finding a solid replacement. Both are tough tasks.

SoPortland

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one said he wasn't getting the max, just likely not from the Warriors.

If he's not willing to take a home team discount, he'll likely be moved at some point. The only way I could imagine them keeping Klay would be by trading Iguodala or getting Lee off the books somehow, while finding a solid replacement. Both are tough tasks.

Lee will be easy. Igoudola wouldn't be hard either. Why would they dump either unless they're signing a top tier free agent. They aren't going to just let Klay walk. Don't be silly.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lee will be easy. Igoudola wouldn't be hard either. Why would they dump either unless they're signing a top tier free agent. They aren't going to just let Klay walk. Don't be silly.

Who said anything about letting him walk? He's a huge trade commodity. If the dubs and Klay are extremely apart in negotiations the warriors will have two options.

1) Trade Klay

2) Create cap space by way of clearing contracts.

There's not unlimited money going around. They are paying 4 guys double figure salaries at the moment and by constraints of the cap and luxury tax cannot afford to give Klay a max contract.

dubabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Klay but he's not worth the money he'll ask (14-15 million a year) if not a max deal, that's why the Warriors should've pulled the trigger in the Love trade. Giving that money to Klay will not only put this team well into luxury tax hell territory, but also with zero chance to improve other areas.

Unfortunately it seems Wiggins is on the table now and the Timberwolves would be dumb not to do that instead of getting a guy that will soon be a FA. The Warriors took too long to decide and if they don't get Love because they couldn't decide to move Klay, they'll have no other option but to pay the man.

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Klay but he's not worth the money he'll ask (14-15 million a year) if not a max deal, that's why the Warriors should've pulled the trigger in the Love trade. Giving that money to Klay will not only put this team well into luxury tax hell territory, but also with zero chance to improve other areas.

Unfortunately it seems Wiggins is on the table now and the Timberwolves would be dumb not to do that instead of getting a guy that will soon be a FA. The Warriors took too long to decide and if they don't get Love because they couldn't decide to move Klay, they'll have no other option but to pay the man.

You could argue Klay is a top 5 "2 way guard" in the league at this moment.

Could you make the same argument that Wiggins is a top 5 rookie? Wiggins was a #1 pick, sure but, he could also be a #1 bust. The guy hasn't played a minute of NBA ball yet.

I'm not saying the Dubs should include Klay in a trade, but at this point, is he a more valuable player than Wiggins? Yes.

dubabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could argue Klay is a top 5 "2 way guard" in the league at this moment.

Could you make the same argument that Wiggins is a top 5 rookie? Wiggins was a #1 pick, sure but, he could also be a #1 bust. The guy hasn't played a minute of NBA ball yet.

I'm not saying the Dubs should include Klay in a trade, but at this point, is he a more valuable player than Wiggins? Yes.

If you're talking strictly about players, yes I agree. But then there's the contract situation, Wiggins is under control for cheap for 4 years, Klay will be a FA soon so there're other questions besides who's better right now, is he willing to sign longterm with Minnesota? And is Minnesota interested in giving Klay a max or close to max deal to keep him?

Wiggins IMO becomes more attractive for a team like Minnesota. If we were talking about a contender Klay would be a better deal but not on this case.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're talking strictly about players, yes I agree. But then there's the contract situation, Wiggins is under control for cheap for 4 years, Klay will be a FA soon so there're other questions besides who's better right now, is he willing to sign longterm with Minnesota? And is Minnesota interested in giving Klay a max or close to max deal to keep him?

Wiggins IMO becomes more attractive for a team like Minnesota. If we were talking about a contender Klay would be a better deal but not on this case.

If what the media is reporting today is correct, Flip Saunders still prefers Klay Thompson over Wiggins in a trade. Warriors still seem to be in the driver's seat, not Cleveland.

gsw_lightning

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see why Flip Saunders prefer Klay over Wiggins. And if Klay is thinking long-term on this Minnesota trade proposal, Klay must be thinking this: who makes me better down the road... a Curry-Klay (Warriors) backcourt, OR a Rubio-Klay (Wolves) backcourt?