• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How I rank the "Big Six" in this year's draft

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MY TOP SIX
1. Mason Rudolph, Oklahoma State
2. Sam Darnold, USC
3. Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma
4. Josh Rosen, UCLA
5. Lamar Jackson, Louisville
6. Josh Allen, Wyoming

I like Allen the least of the big six. He's got great athletic gifts, and it clearly shows on tape. I have watched about 7 games of his on youtube (only against quality competition) and saw the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl on ESPN. My problems with him rests in his completion% (never over 56%) and the fact that his stats dipped significantly from 2016 to 2017. How bad of a dip was it? In 2016, his passer efficiency rating was 144.9. In 2017, it dipped to a 127.8. For his YPA, it went from an impressive 8.6 to a 6.7.

Lamar Jackson is Michael Vick, only BETTER. Jackson, just like Vick, showed he can beat you with his arm and his legs. Any team that drafts him will have to adjust their offense to his skill sets. My issue with Jackson is his completion% (never above 59.1%) and the fact that running quarterbacks tend to have the shortest life span and the most prone to injuries.

For my top 4 quarterbacks, they all consistently up elite passing stats, across the board during their college career, and possess excellent passing skills. The more games I watch on these guys, the more I see them as top tier NFL quarterbacks.

Rudolph remains as my #1 guy here. Yes, his short-to-intermediate throws needs some fine-tuning, but his deep ball accuracy is off-the-charts and I see no character issues with him. Rudolph to me is the safest pick of the big six.

Darnold has fumble issues. Last season, he fumbled the ball 12 times and lost 9 of them. However, I feel like coaching can reduce the turnovers.

Mayfield and Rosen are the hardest for me to project/evaluate. Take away the 2017 arrest and the idiotic behavior against Kansas, and he's easily the #1 prospect. But with Mayfield, you don't know how he's going to handle the lights of the NFL or whether he's going to get in trouble again for drinking excessive.

Now we turn to Rosen. I really like what I see on film. He's got the passing skills you look for in a legitimate NFL quarterback. The problem here is that he's got major durability issues (had season-ending injuries in both the 2016 and 2017 college football season) and his personality rubs people the wrong way.

What do you guys think of the big 6? How would you rank them from best to worst?

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you think Lamar Jackson is Vick only BETTER amavd yet still have him 5th on your list then you must think this is the best QB class ever lol

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how about rudolphs footwork, pocket awareness, and limited progressions?? did u forget about that

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson's completion percentage was below 60, as well. It was for all 3 years as a starter. You didn't watch him if you think he's "Vick, only better". That's the dumbest analysis I've heard of him. He's a great college QB, but I'll be shocked if he actually makes it as a starter at all in the pros. His anticipation, ball placement, and progressoin management are all sub-par and need a lot of work. He's got more Vince Young to him than Mike Vick.

I don't hate your idea that Rudolph is underrated, but he's not the top QB prospect in this class. His deep ball accuracy is very much on the charts, and it's above average but not elite. Also, while he doesn't have any character concerns in the sense of being a bad person, he does in the fact that the overarching opinion is that he's not an alpha and will have issues taking control of an NFL huddle. He'll do well to carve out a backup role for 7-8 years or so, making spot starts periodically.

As far as "safest", it's without question Darnold. 12 fumbles is a major issue, but it's his only issue. He's immensely talented and can make any and every throw. His character, his mental makeup, and off the field demeanor are fantastic. He's accurate, and his pocket mobility is underrated. Don't forget, with his numbers last year, he was playing with a very green offensive line and inexperienced pass catchers for the most part. He will be a high-level starter in the pros.

1. Darnold
2. Allen
3. Mayfield
4. Rosen
5. Rudolph
6. Jackson

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you think Lamar Jackson is Vick only BETTER amavd yet still have him 5th on your list then you must think this is the best QB class ever lol

Do I think this is the best QB class ever? No.

But it's unquestionably a deep class at the top. 4 of the big 6 are expected to get drafted in the top 10 or maybe in the top 5. Jackson and Rudolph are expected to get drafted anywhere from mid-way in the 1st to the bottom of the 2nd. I saw that's impressive.

My point about Jackson is that he's more polished than Vick coming out of college. Jackson doesn't have character issues and he throws the ball more accurately. My problem with Jackson is that I don't think he's going to have a long career in the NFL. Vick was special in his first couple of seasons, and then he dropped off the map due to Dog fighting and bad quarterback play.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lamar Jackson is Michael Vick but better?

oooooooooook!

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson's completion percentage was below 60, as well. It was for all 3 years as a starter. You didn't watch him if you think he's "Vick, only better". That's the dumbest analysis I've heard of him. He's a great college QB, but I'll be shocked if he actually makes it as a starter at all in the pros. His anticipation, ball placement, and progressoin management are all sub-par and need a lot of work. He's got more Vince Young to him than Mike Vick.

Lets begin where we agree. I very much agree that Jackson should be toward the bottom of the "big 6 debate" and has accuracy issues. No doubt about that.

Here's where I disagree with you. I compared him to Vick because of what he brings to the table: a running quarterback with a big arm, but spotty accuracy issues. I said he's "better than Vick" for two reasons: (1) He's taller than Vick, had a better completion%, and played in more games in college. (2) Vick himself compared his style of play to Jackson's style of play, and said they are akin.

I don't hate your idea that Rudolph is underrated, but he's not the top QB prospect in this class. His deep ball accuracy is very much on the charts, and it's above average but not elite. Also, while he doesn't have any character concerns in the sense of being a bad person, he does in the fact that the overarching opinion is that he's not an alpha and will have issues taking control of an NFL huddle. He'll do well to carve out a backup role for 7-8 years or so, making spot starts periodically.

Rudolph is indeed a top QB prospect in this year's draft. He's frequently mentioned as a late 1st round pick to 2nd round pick, and consistently ranks in the top 100 among media big boards. CBS Sports even has him as the 10th best player in the draft.

Rudolph could very well be a backup QB in this league. But I just feel that his ability to throw the football down-the-field makes him the best out of this class. Darnold has the fumble issues. Rosen has character and durability concerns. Mayfield is a trouble-maker and his problems could continue to haunt him. With Rudolph, I feel you can coach him on his mechanical issues. I fully understand that Big-12 QBs have a long history of being average in the NFL. I fully understand that Rudolph played with clean pockets a lot.

As far as "safest", it's without question Darnold. 12 fumbles is a major issue, but it's his only issue. He's immensely talented and can make any and every throw. His character, his mental makeup, and off the field demeanor are fantastic. He's accurate, and his pocket mobility is underrated. Don't forget, with his numbers last year, he was playing with a very green offensive line and inexperienced pass catchers for the most part. He will be a high-level starter in the pros.

He's my #2 guy and I very much agree that the fumbles are his ONLY issue. He's a dazzling QB. Even his game against Ohio State, I saw amazing tight window passes. But you have to admit the fumbles are a BIG ISSUE. And if the turnovers continue, Darnold is going to be a backup quarterback too.

1. Darnold
2. Allen
3. Mayfield
4. Rosen
5. Rudolph
6. Jackson

Why in the world do you have Allen #2?

Anyway, I hope the best for your Browns. Darnold would be a great fit.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do I think this is the best QB class ever? No.

But it's unquestionably a deep class at the top. 4 of the big 6 are expected to get drafted in the top 10 or maybe in the top 5. Jackson and Rudolph are expected to get drafted anywhere from mid-way in the 1st to the bottom of the 2nd. I saw that's impressive.

My point about Jackson is that he's more polished than Vick coming out of college. Jackson doesn't have character issues and he throws the ball more accurately. My problem with Jackson is that I don't think he's going to have a long career in the NFL. Vick was special in his first couple of seasons, and then he dropped off the map due to Dog fighting and bad quarterback play.
If Vick hasn't missed basically 4 full years he's likely be a fringe hall of famer. I think this class in pretty bad and the only readon you'll see so many guys in the top 10 are teams are going to reach and pray. I like Mayfield best bit he's not a top 30 talent in this draft imo

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I hear of a QB taek on the NFL forum

get

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Vick hasn't missed basically 4 full years he's likely be a fringe hall of famer. I think this class in pretty bad and the only readon you'll see so many guys in the top 10 are teams are going to reach and pray. I like Mayfield best bit he's not a top 30 talent in this draft imo

dafuq:wtf:

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I firmly believe this. He missed his prime years. Came back after and had his best season ever. Without missing those years he probably ends up around 35k yards passing and 8-9 rushing. Plus he was a dynamic game altering talent. You don't have to agree but it's not a stretch by any means

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Mayfield
2) Allen
3) Rosen
4) Jackson
5) Darnold

All go in the 1st

6) Rudolph

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Darnold
2) Rosen
3) Mayfield
4) Allen
5) Rudolph
6) Jackson

Not based on talent per say, just think this is the order they get drafted.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1a) Rosen
1b) Mayfield
3) Jackson
4) Darnold
5) Rudolph

Sack of shit

Then somewhere Josh Allen is on the other side

How it will actually happen?

Probably

Darnold
Mayfield
Rosen
Allen
Jackson
Rudolph

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your contention that Lamar Jackson is "like Vick but better" is not an apropos comparison, in my opinion.