• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How I rank the "Big Six" in this year's draft

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For all the talk of being coachable, it would be statistically unprecedented for someone of Allen's profile to be a solid NFL QB.

The man had a 49 completion percentage at JC.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't hate the position Cleveland is in if they take him. If Tyrod comes in next year and has a solid year and we show great improvement, I'd like to see them give him another 1-2 year contract. If Allen doesn't start until he's 24, I've got no problem with that. Ideally he'd start pushing Taylor after this season and prove himself worthy. If he's not quite there, you have Tyrod there ready to go.
I don't think you can take a player #1 overall and stash him for more than 10 games. This would be more comparable to what the Rams did with Goff than what the Chiefs did with Mahomes. Maybe you see Tyrod playing all next season if the Browns are 6-4 after those 10 games but otherwise I'd imagine whoever the Browns take at #1 is going to see multiple games in 2018.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you can take a player #1 overall and stash him for more than 10 games. This would be more comparable to what the Rams did with Goff than what the Chiefs did with Mahomes. Maybe you see Tyrod playing all next season if the Browns are 6-4 after those 10 games but otherwise I'd imagine whoever the Browns take at #1 is going to see multiple games in 2018.
Dorsey has shown before that he has no problem redshirting rookie QBs, even 1st rounders. It's what makes me happy he's in Cleveland. We've been down the path too many times of throwing in kids that aren't ready only to see them totally flop.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dorsey has shown before that he has no problem redshirting rookie QBs, even 1st rounders. It's what makes me happy he's in Cleveland. We've been down the path too many times of throwing in kids that aren't ready only to see them totally flop.
I feel like there is a difference between a 1st rounder and a #1 overall in terms of expectations. Its one of the main reasons I have separation in my rankings because the 2018 season has value.

I could be wrong. Dorsey could sit the #1 pick all year. My over/under would be that he plays 8 games, though.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like there is a difference between a 1st rounder and a #1 overall in terms of expectations. Its one of the main reasons I have separation in my rankings because the 2018 season has value.

I could be wrong. Dorsey could sit the #1 pick all year. My over/under would be that he plays 8 games, though.
That's the problem I have with that logic. Where you take a guy should mean nothing. If you're taking a guy #1 overall because he's ready, then you play him. If you're taking him #1 because you love his potential but he needs coaching, then you don't play him until he's ready. If your mindset as a GM is "I have to play my #1 overall pick QB regardless of if he's ready because that's what's normally done", then you should be fired. The Browns are definitely not in "must win now" mode. Bringing him in early could just destroy his progression.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the problem I have with that logic. Where you take a guy should mean nothing. If you're taking a guy #1 overall because he's ready, then you play him. If you're taking him #1 because you love his potential but he needs coaching, then you don't play him until he's ready. If your mindset as a GM is "I have to play my #1 overall pick QB regardless of if he's ready because that's what's normally done", then you should be fired. The Browns are definitely not in "must win now" mode. Bringing him in early could just destroy his progression.
Sitting him for a year and going 2-14 with Taylor can cause some issues, though.

Maybe the Browns start firing all of their coaches.
What do they do with their top 3 pick in 2019 if they don't know what they have at QB?
How are those attendance and jersey sales looking when the star player isn't playing?
How upset is everyone going to be when the Giants win 10 games with Barkley being in MVP contention?

Sitting a QB is a great idea. Sitting a top 5 pick all season seems like a way to get everyone fired.

Its about opportunity cost. Mahomes was drafted 1 pick ahead of Marshon Lattimore. For all we know, the Chiefs might have won a Super Bowl with Alex Smith and Marshon Lattimore. Sitting a QB for a year kinda stinks.

Last edited:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sitting him for a year and going 2-14 with Taylor can cause some issues, though.

What do they do with their top 3 pick in 2019 if they don't know what they have at QB?
How are those attendance and jersey sales looking when the star player isn't playing?
How upset is everyone going to be when the Giants win 10 games with Barkley being in MVP contention?

Sitting a QB is a great idea. Sitting a top 5 pick all season seems like a way to get everyone fired.

Its about opportunity cost. Mahomes was drafted 1 pick ahead of Marshon Lattimore. For all we know, the Chiefs might have won a Super Bowl with Alex Smith and Marshon Lattimore. Sitting a QB for a year kinda stinks.

No, I think we're pretty sure they weren't going to win a Super Bowl with Alex Smith and whomever else...

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't know Daryl Worley posted here.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
even professional NFL scouts miss on QB's all the time so everyone's guesses in this thread are just that .... guesses.

Having said that, out of the 6 QB's being discussed here, about the only safe bet is that (based on a very lengthy NFL draft history), not all of them are actually going to be legit, long-term starting QB's in the league. Some of them will not live up to their hype. The only question is how many?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There are a shitload of injuries and catastrophes that would have to happen for Cleveland to go 2-14. This team is built to go at least 5-11 or 6-10 at worst. Their personnel upgrades have been phenomenal. You're literally taking the absolute worst case scenario and making it sounds like it's going to happen.

Maybe Tyrod comes in and they win 9 games and they go to the playoffs, like he did with a less talented Buffalo team last year.
Maybe Allen sits and learns and gets acclimated to a pro clubhouse while practicing with his main targets like Landry, Gordon, Duke Johnson, Njoku, and whoever they draft at WR - all of whom will be there in 2019.

OR

Maybe Dorsey follows your guidance and throws Allen to the wolves and he collapses because he's not ready.
Maybe he ends up floundering entirely because his confidence is shot.
Maybe in 2020, the Browns are drafting another QB in the first because they've, yet again, managed to screw up another highly-drafted QB who wasn't ready to play as a rookie.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anybody freak out about the Vick-Jackson comparison yet?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really doubt whoever Cleveland drafts gets fewer than 2 starts. Tyrod is notorious for getting hurt. Alex Smith has been relatively healthy for quite some time now.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really doubt whoever Cleveland drafts gets fewer than 2 starts. Tyrod is notorious for getting hurt. Alex Smith has been relatively healthy for quite some time now.
What?? He started 14/15/15 games in 3 years in Buffalo. One of those missed games was when they idiotically tried to start Peterman over him. He missed 1 game with a knee sprain, and missed 2 games in 2015 with an MCL sprain. That's it.

Check your sources on that one.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I think we're pretty sure they weren't going to win a Super Bowl with Alex Smith and whomever else...
Nick Foles won a Super Bowl. I believe anything is possible, to be honest.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Vick could walk the 40 in 4.2 and flick his wrist to send the ball 80 yards on a rope. Lamar Jackson looks more like Reggie McNeal as a prospect than a better version of Mike Vick.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Vick could walk the 40 in 4.2 and flick his wrist to send the ball 80 yards on a rope. Lamar Jackson looks more like Reggie McNeal as a prospect than a better version of Mike Vick.
Very good comparison, and well illustrated point.