• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL How far will these misfit Lakers go?

How far will these misfit Lakers go?

• Implode mid-season

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • Western Conference Finals Loss

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • NBA Finals Loss

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Beat the Celtics in the Finals

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • First Round Loss

Votes: 18 30.5%
  • Second Round Loss

Votes: 22 37.3%

• Total voters

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. Last I checked, Kyrie and Love

were all stars. How many do the Lakers have?

Not really. The Cavs had 10 players with playoff experience, the Lakers have 6. In both cases, with the exception of Lebron, they were veteran role players at various stages of their careers, some of whom probably didn't/won't receive a whole lot of playing time.

oh no doubt the Cavs were much much more talented because of Kyrie and Love- no doubt about that--- my point was Love and Kyrie were still both relatively young guys that had never played in a playoff game. Almost none of the Cavs main rotation had playoff experience.

I am trying to think of guys on that Cavs team that had playoff experience.

not many of the guys that played--- James Jones, Shawn Marion. Obviously LeBron. I have NO CLUE where you get 10 guys from. lol....I mean- there are only 15 on a roster and Waiters, Kyrie, Love, TT, Delly, Harris, OBVIOUSLY never had any playoff experience. Out of the guys that actually really played any kind of minutes- Mike Miller who averaged 13 minutes a game is practically the only one that had playoff experience. Varejao too i suppose (he ended up getting hurt and only playing 26 games).

the Lakers have guys like Stephenson and Rondo that have way more playoff experience than anyone on the Cavs out of guys that actually play any real minutes. Pope has been to the playoffs (albiet shortly), of course Deng has oodles of playoff experience but he is not likely to play. McGee has playoff experience. Surprisingly enough Beasley has been to the playoffs 5 times.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have NO CLUE where you get 10 guys from. lol.

Lebron, Shawn Marion, James Jones, Mike Miller, Amundson, Haywood, JR Smith, Kendrick Perkins, Varejao, Shumpert.

Like I said, in both cases, there are vets who played/will play and some who didn't/won't.

the Lakers have guys like Stephenson and Rondo that have way more playoff experience than anyone on the Cavs out of guys that actually play any real minutes. Pope has been to the playoffs (albiet shortly), of course Deng has oodles of playoff experience but he is not likely to play. McGee has playoff experience. Surprisingly enough Beasley has been to the playoffs 5 times.

As the season goes on, I expect that Stephenson won't be playing a whole lot. McGee will probably get the same type of minutes he got with the Warriors (unless the Lakers want to see him on Shaqtin' A Fool a lot. lol).

I expect Rondo will play a good bit because, if things go as planned, he'll be backing up Lonzo, KCP will play. Beasley is interesting, he always puts up solid numbers offensively in whatever minutes he gets, but never really seems to get a lot of minutes. Not sure what will happen with him.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lebron, Shawn Marion, James Jones, Mike Miller, Amundson, Haywood, JR Smith, Kendrick Perkins, Varejao, Shumpert.

Like I said, in both cases, there are vets who played/will play and some who didn't/won't.

As the season goes on, I expect that Stephenson won't be playing a whole lot. McGee will probably get the same type of minutes he got with the Warriors (unless the Lakers want to see him on Shaqtin' A Fool a lot. lol).

I expect Rondo will play a good bit because, if things go as planned, he'll be backing up Lonzo, KCP will play. Beasley is interesting, he always puts up solid numbers offensively in whatever minutes he gets, but never really seems to get a lot of minutes. Not sure what will happen with him.
ohh--- you are actually counting what happened DURING the season.

As we obviously cannot anticpate who the Lakers will add via buyouts/trade- I started with what their rosters were at the VERY start of the season- and htat obviously did not include Jr, Shumpert, Mozgov etc....guys like Haywood, Perkins, Amundson, Marion, Jones played very little- that would be like counting Deng.

My point was- out of the guys that actually should play minutes- the Lakers have guys like Stephenseon, Rondo, and maybe even KCP who have actually seen the playoffs- where the vast majority of the Cavs guys that ACTUALLY played had no playoff experience.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ohh--- you are actually counting what happened DURING the season.

Yeah, I basically just looked at the Cavs 2014-15 roster and the anticipated Lakers 2018-19 roster and counted guys with playoff experience.

that would be like counting Deng.

You kind of did. lol

Although you did qualify it by saying he won't play.

My point was- out of the guys that actually should play minutes- the Lakers have guys like Stephenseon, Rondo, and maybe even KCP who have actually seen the playoffs- where the vast majority of the Cavs guys that ACTUALLY played had no playoff experience.

Yeah, the Cavs had Jones, Shumpert and JR who played quite a bit in the playoffs and had previous playoff experience...but Rondo and Stephenson definitely have more than they did with the possible exception of Jones.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers weren't giving up Ingram. Everyone knew this. So the article is pointless click bait.
what about the #2 pick that became Ball?

in retrospect I gotta believe you would DEFINITELY do that deal if you had the chance to do it over.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what about the #2 pick that became Ball?

in retrospect I gotta believe you would DEFINITELY do that deal if you had the chance to do it over.

Nope. Even if Ball ends up terrible, that was just a poor choice with the #2. Playoff P is not worth a #2 pick (and I'm sure they wanted more than just the #2). I wouldn't give them what the Lakers did offer due to who the picks became: Randle, Clarkson, #27 (Kyle Kuzma), #28 (traded for #30 Josh Hart and #42 Thomas Bryant). Josh Hart could end up a poor man's Paul George anyway.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean- isnt George pretty much exactly what you hope and wish Ingram can turn into?
HurrjOo.jpg

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How high are you right now?
As for Ball- i could not imagine anyone not being on board for trading him for George right now.

Ingram is the tougher question- though he likely wont become the player George is.

if Ingram turns into a Paul George type player Lakers fans should be ECSTATIC. That pretty much represents the ceiling of his potential.

Paul George is 28 and still has at least 3 prime seasons left. Likely 4 or 5.

he has made:
5 All-Star Teams
3 All-NBA Defensive Teams
4 All-NBA teams

For the last 3 seasons he has averaged about 23 pts, 6.5 boards, and 3.5 assists, 1.8 steals per game while shooting about 39% from 3- which is basically when he started entering his prime (from age 25-27)--- this upcoming season is his age 28 season.

He is generally regarded as a top 20 player at a minimum. at some points he was in consideration as high as about top 10. What are the chances that Ball or Ingram are ever considered a consensus top 15 or so player? I would say substantially unlikely.

If Ingram even SNIFFS the success that George has had, he will be considered a solid player. It is unlikely either Ball or Ingram have the success that George has/is having as an elite NBA player having made multiple All Star games, and All-NBA teams--- not totally impossible, but unlikely.

Last edited:
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for Ball- i could not imagine anyone not being on board for trading him for George right now.

Ingram is the tougher question- though he likely wont become the player George is.

if Ingram turns into a Paul George type player Lakers fans should be ECSTATIC. That pretty much represents the ceiling of his potential.

Paul George is 28 and still has at least 3 prime seasons left. Likely 4 or 5.

he has made:
5 All-Star Teams
3 All-NBA Defensive Teams
4 All-NBA teams

For the last 3 seasons he has averaged about 23 pts, 6.5 boards, and 3.5 assists, 1.8 steals per game while shooting about 39% from 3- which is basically when he started entering his prime (from age 25-27)--- this upcoming season is his age 28 season.

He is generally regarded as a top 20 player at a minimum.

If Ingram even SNIFFS the success that George has had, he will be considered a solid player. its unlikely either Ball or Ingram have the success that George has/is having as an elite NBA player having made multiple All Star games, and All-NBA teams.

You're comparing a 28 year old dude to two guys who have a combined total of 2.5 years of NBA experience and neither of them is even old enough to buy a beer.

I very much doubt you'd find a single GM in the league that would trade Ingram and Ball for PG13

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're comparing a 28 year old dude to two guys who have a combined total of 2.5 years of NBA experience and either of them is even old enough to buy a beer.

I very much doubt you'd find a single GM in the league that would trade Ingram and Ball for PG13
I never said they SHOULD trade Ingram AND Ball for George- but if the Lakers offered Ball they would be laughed at, and Ingram, as I said above, would at least make OKC think bu I think itst likely OKC would turn it down.

As I said- if the Lakers could trade Ball and cap flotsam to match contracts for George the deal would be done in about half a second flat.

this was my WHOLE point- as the article I quoted said- the Pacers would have sent George to the Lakers in an instant for the #2 overall pick. Obviously now I dont know how anyone could say they would prefer Ball over Oladipo and Sabonis-- though i gotta think the Pacers would not have wanted to touch Ball at his baggage at #2 overall and they would have maybe picked Tatum or someone else.

Ingram at least would be a more interesting conversation, as he is young- but obviously there is no gurantee he will become an elite NBA player like George. The main driver for a trade like that for OKC would be the money part of it I would think if they actually considered it. Its why I said above- that Ingram would be a more interesting discussion.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. Even if Ball ends up terrible, that was just a poor choice with the #2. Playoff P is not worth a #2 pick (and I'm sure they wanted more than just the #2). I wouldn't give them what the Lakers did offer due to who the picks became: Randle, Clarkson, #27 (Kyle Kuzma), #28 (traded for #30 Josh Hart and #42 Thomas Bryant). Josh Hart could end up a poor man's Paul George anyway.
I absolutely think a top 15 player in his prime is worth the #2 pick in what was considered, at the time, a relatively weak NBA draft. Especially one like Ball's draft where their was no truly outstanding players at the top like a Simmons or Towns or Kyrie, etc.

Especially since George was highly likely to resign.

The Cavs basically made a very very similar deal trading for a in-his-prime top 15-20 player in Kevin Love for Wiggins to get a player that lined up more with LeBron's prime and it obviously aided in delivering them a championship. Wiggins was more highly regarded than Ingram as well.

3-4 years from now when Ingram and Ball are just beginning to enter their primes, LeBron's prime will be long gone.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said they SHOULD trade Ingram AND Ball for George- but if the Lakers offered Ball they would be laughed at, and Ingram, as I said above, would at least make OKC think bu I think itst likely OKC would turn it down.

As I said- if the Lakers could trade Ball and cap flotsam to match contracts for George the deal would be done in about half a second flat.

this was my WHOLE point- as the article I quoted said- the Pacers would have sent George to the Lakers in an instant for the #2 overall pick. Obviously now I dont know how anyone could say they would prefer Ball over Oladipo and Sabonis-- though i gotta think the Pacers would not have wanted to touch Ball at his baggage at #2 overall and they would have maybe picked Tatum or someone else.

Ingram at least would be a more interesting conversation, as he is young- but obviously there is no gurantee he will become an elite NBA player like George. The main driver for a trade like that for OKC would be the money part of it I would think if they actually considered it. Its why I said above- that Ingram would be a more interesting discussion.

Why is this even a discussion? Lonzo barely played 50 games last season. And you're comparing him to a 5 time All-Star? Or Oladipo?

I know you actively hate Lonzo Ball for some bizarre reason but this argument is complete nonsense.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is this even a discussion? Lonzo barely played 50 games last season. And you're comparing him to a 5 time All-Star? Or Oladipo?

I know you actively hate Lonzo Ball for some bizarre reason but this argument is complete nonsense.
I posted an article confirming what many of us thought- that the Lakers could have had George for either Ingram or the #2 pick.

In retrospect I believe that the Lakers wish they would have pulled the trigger at the very least regarding the #2 pick, while commenting that Ingram is more of an interesting question.

That was the point.

You dont think the Lakers wish they would have dealt the #2 pick for PG at this point? As I said about the Cavs- when they were in a very similar situation they dealt a more highly regarded prospect than Ingram for Love- who- like George- at the time was considered somewhere around a top 10-15 player and it worked out well, he resigned and aided in delivering them a title.