• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Conjuring 2 (2016)

Phenomenal, outstanding, epic, etc. James Wan can easily throw his hat into the ring for the current "King of Horror". He has been perceived as such for quite a while, but he's really starting to cement himself into the position as undisputed. IMO nobody does it better. His cinematography may not be as outlandish as Del Torro's works, but the way Wan can maximize his films with the subtle & simplistic approach sets him apart. The tension & suspense of this movie was stellar. The way he builds tension is awesome. My wife just about jumped out of her skin multiple times throughout the movie. Outstanding performances all around but I have to give a shout-out to Vera Farmiga in particular. Talk about an actress that can say a thousand words with only her eyes. She has incredible range. I've always been a fan of hers. As nasty_magician already pointed out, some may squawk at the underlying religious theme or the length of the movie. But definitely not me. I didn't realize how long the movie was until I got to my car after the movie and looked at the clock. Most of the time that length of a movie would make itself apparent during the viewing, and most are exhausting. But not this movie. Not even close. This movie had me on the edge of my seat throughout the entire film. The climax may have been a little bit carbon copied and predictable, but the plot twists he threw in prior & during made it unnoticeable. One of my only gripes with the movie has to be the frequent use of jump scares. But the nice thing was that Wan diluted those with anti-jump scares where he would lead you to believe one was coming only to have nothing happen and proceed onto the next scene. That sort of unpredictability made it all the more enjoyable. Not to mention the entire tone & atmosphere of the movie was frightening enough so he really didn't need them! There were multiple tense moments that were more scary than any of the jump scares. Overall I would recommend this movie to anyone and everyone. If you are a fan of horror then you owe it to yourself to go see this movie. Worth every penny.

Instant classic! 10/10

No matter how good a horror movie it is I am not supporting the Warrens and putting money in their pockets. No no no. Fuck those crooks. If I miss out on 2 hours of fun at a movie theatre as a result, so be it.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No matter how good a horror movie it is I am not supporting the Warrens and putting money in their pockets. No no no. Fuck those crooks. If I miss out on 2 hours of fun at a movie theatre as a result, so be it.
You're missing out! But I hear ya. For what its worth, I do think the Warrens are complete and total frauds. That's a pretty well-known fact throughout the paranormal community. I don't trust any story that the Warrens have been involved with. All they ever wanted was fame. They would lie, cheat, and fabricate anything they had to in order to be famous...

But that doesn't make these stories/films any less interesting or compelling. Hell, it has been well documented how these writers have taken many liberties with these stories. They juice them up with a lot of fabrications to make them more appealing. The phrase "based on true events" should never be taken seriously.

If seeing these movies in theaters means indirectly supporting those frauds... Doesn't bother me one bit. If you've seen the same amount of regurgitated muck in the horror industry that I have, then you'd be one of the people camping out in front of the theater with bells on prior to every release.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're missing out! But I hear ya. For what its worth, I do think the Warrens are complete and total frauds. That's a pretty well-known fact throughout the paranormal community. I don't trust any story that the Warrens have been involved with. All they ever wanted was fame. They would lie, cheat, and fabricate anything they had to in order to be famous...

But that doesn't make these stories/films any less interesting or compelling. Hell, it has been well documented how these writers have taken many liberties with these stories. They juice them up with a lot of fabrications to make them more appealing. The phrase "based on true events" should never be taken seriously.

If seeing these movies in theaters means indirectly supporting those frauds... Doesn't bother me one bit. If you've seen the same amount of regurgitated muck in the horror industry that I have, then you'd be one of the people camping out in front of the theater with bells on prior to every release.

I don't think there's anything "indirect" about it though, is there? I thought that Lorraine was directly involved with the movie.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think there's anything "indirect" about it though, is there? I thought that Lorraine was directly involved with the movie.
Yes she did. But did the film producers say anything about it being a work of non-fiction? It wasn't a documentary. It was a fictitious film. Her being a fraud and helping create the movie isn't much different than a writer making his own piece based off something he read on the internet and using the same "based on true events" phrase. Yea I agree its bogus that she claims most of everything to be true, but it doesn't take a detective to figure out she is lying.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most Likely To Die (2015)

This movie had a decent premise going for it. The idea behind it was somewhat innovative and it provided a good backstory for the cliched mess that followed. Unfortunately, the script is just downright awful. The dialogue is so stilted and incredibly ridiculous that you just want the movie to end. Then, there are decisions made that defy stupidity. Almost as if the writers wanted their characters to go out of their way to appear stupid. Do the victims know how to use a gun effectively? Of course not... Do they ever stick together? Of course not... I guess all that would be too easy. Didn't help that the acting was sub-par so that added even more to the stupidity. The gore is pretty good though, and the villain is pretty creepy. Decent amount of suspense for mild entertainment. The resolution reveals an unexpected twist near the end to leave it open for a 2nd movie, even though hell would have to freeze over for it to receive budgeting. It got an R rating for a brief sex scene which wasn't necessary at all. It's like the director wanted the R rating so badly that he threw it in just to achieve it. Wouldn't recommend it, but if you're in need of new material then why not? Alcohol is recommended prior to viewing.

Mildly entertaining... 5/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honeymoon (2014)

On Netflix! Late on the review, but realized I didn't give it a proper one after watching it. A friend of mine asked me about it last week and I think it deserves one. This movie was pretty good! A bit slow for my liking, but still well crafted! This film has a surreal psychological element to it and as a result its a slow burner. But I was happy with the end result! It relied heavily on the acting since the cast was so small and they did a pretty stellar job! Rose Leslie and Harry Treadway both put on strong performances. The emotions that this movie pulls from the viewer is pretty immense. From happiness to distrust, and anger to being downright horrified. Pretty epic journey this movie takes you on. But like I said, its a slow movie so give it time to get its legs goin. Because the story has only a handful of characters combined with a remote setting and intense emotions, it creates a claustrophobic effect. The horror side is very subtle and it slowly builds tension layer by layer. But don't get me wrong, there is never any doubt that there is something very strange going on. This may not be a good recommendation for those that like more shock value, but if this seems like something you would like then I definitely recommend it. I will caution however that it tends to get a little dialogue heavy and exhausting during certain stretches.

Psychological horror at its best... 7.5/10

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, posting from my phone so no trailer.......

Just watched Evilution from 2008. B-movie zombie flick that is basically if the french classic "La Horde" was thrown in a blender with an H.P. Lovecraft novel with very little budget attached.

An Army scientist escapes a base infested with blood-drooling zombies right before it is nuked and goes into hiding by renting a room in a shithole that makes Detroit slums look luxurious. To make things worse, the place is infested with Latino gang members who are apparently suffering from brain damage (due to bad acting and poor writing). He bangs a waaayyyy too hot chick who is completely out of his league and then brings her brother back to life when he gets shot. A junkie also breaks into the dump he calls an apartment and shots up on the zombie juice, and the brother and him both start to go around chewing on the other residents until the place is crawling with the undead (well, technically alien infected, but undead works).

Positives:
*Zombies. Not badly done considering the budget.
*Really hot chick who likes geeky doctor dude.
*Kind of cool twist ending.

Negatives:
*Poor acting
*Poor writing
*Low budget production values

About a 4 out of 10. Watch only if you are a big b-movie zombie fan. Comes off like a poor mans Z-Nation.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF is going on with Sy Fy? They haven't had any new made for the Network movies in a while....all old shit they're replaying. They used to have a new one every Saturday night.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honeymoon (2014)

On Netflix! Late on the review, but realized I didn't give it a proper one after watching it. A friend of mine asked me about it last week and I think it deserves one. This movie was pretty good! A bit slow for my liking, but still well crafted! This film has a surreal psychological element to it and as a result its a slow burner. But I was happy with the end result! It relied heavily on the acting since the cast was so small and they did a pretty stellar job! Rose Leslie and Harry Treadway both put on strong performances. The emotions that this movie pulls from the viewer is pretty immense. From happiness to distrust, and anger to being downright horrified. Pretty epic journey this movie takes you on. But like I said, its a slow movie so give it time to get its legs goin. Because the story has only a handful of characters combined with a remote setting and intense emotions, it creates a claustrophobic effect. The horror side is very subtle and it slowly builds tension layer by layer. But don't get me wrong, there is never any doubt that there is something very strange going on. This may not be a good recommendation for those that like more shock value, but if this seems like something you would like then I definitely recommend it. I will caution however that it tends to get a little dialogue heavy and exhausting during certain stretches.

Psychological horror at its best... 7.5/10

I think I watched this, was this with the alien thing coming out of her you knkw where? Lol

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching Friday the 13th Part 3. A true Horror classic!!!!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I plan on watching horror movies this weekend.
Good deal! Maybe we'll see some reviews from you? :thumb:
WTF is going on with Sy Fy? They haven't had any new made for the Network movies in a while....all old shit they're replaying. They used to have a new one every Saturday night.
They must have drained all their creativity when they gave us Lavalantula. Takes years to come up with that sort of genius! :heh:
Watching Friday the 13th Part 3. A true Horror classic!!!! The first one was made for just $550,000 and started a franchise.
Great movie! Been a while since I've watched any of the F13th's.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about any reviews......lazy as fuck lately.

I was supposed to get jiggy with my AFC West reviews tbis weekend. Suffice to say.....I haven't.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need coffee or coffee flavored beverages. Need to get over to 7-11.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wooooooooooooooooo!!!!! We broke 1k......everybody should be proud of themselves.

Take a bow, gentlemen.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So in other news......there's quite a "turf war" going on here on tHoop......may be good for a meltdown or 2.