• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Darkness (2016)

I was going to say something about this movie having "potential" but then I realized how much of a carbon copy this movie is to lots of others that preceded it. Felt like Sinister meets Poltergeist. The only new-ish element that you don't see very often was the autistic child. This movie suffers from over-elucidation. In other words it spends an exorbitant amount of time on overly simplifying the plot by clarifying every minute detail. And a lot of it wasn't necessary at all. It became exhausting after a while. Both the characters & the acting were average, but the film didn't spend a lot of time on development. The cinematography & score were great. I also enjoyed most of the cgi/fx (minus the climax). The plot built tension well, and created some great suspense. But all of it was for nothing when, IMO, the climax fell flat on its face. One word came to mind during the climax... CHEESY. Shame on the writers. The climax was extensively foreshadowed so it didn't feel like a climax at all. And when the father (Kevin Bacon) intervened you knew exactly what was going to happen. Felt like the writers got lazy and decided that route was the easiest, but even then they half-assed it. This film was moderate entertainment, but overall was a disappointment.

Disappointment, diluted with exposition... 5/10

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys! It has been awhile.

Another review with apologies for not posting a preview due to using my phone.

Saw "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" the other day. Not great but not horrible either.
18th England is besieged by zombie hoards, which interfers with uptight, horny Victorian-era youth and their ability to hold a proper ballroom dance where some lady might "accidently" show a little ankle(!) by forcing them to slaughter the undead who wander around drooling a lot.
Note that this movie was universally hated by both hardcore horror fans due to it's kinda "zomcom" feel and Jane Austin fans for its beseechment of the source material (How dare they add zombies to this classic!!), but it does have its good sides despite the negs. Unfortunately it was made to appeal to the youthful crowd (of course) so don't expect anything groundbreaking here.

Positives:
*They really did make "Pride and Prejudice" with a zombie spin to it. Now many could construe this as to mean "boring" (and they might not be entirely wrong as this will not appeal to everyone), but it accuratally does retain lots of the dialogue and seriousness of the relationships from the "original".
*They did a good job of recreating the era.
*Overall production values were pretty good. Direction was ok. Cinametography was good. Dialogue was solid. Acting was decent.
*Zs and special effects were fairly well done.

Negs:
*Not gory or scary enough. The zombie plot line was obviously essential to the plot but in truth was secondary to the relationships of the characters. While there was quite a bit of action, biting, and smashing rotting heads like overripe melons, they could have made it at least a little scary. The gore was quick hit. I wish that they would have stopped and focused on it a bit.
*It was a "zomcom" but the comedy was maybe a little to subtle for my taste.
*Kind of meandered along with a lot happening but the story not really going very far (which was my original gripe with the source material when I had to study it). Characters developed ok but to what end?

5.5/10 in my book. Must see for the zombie fanatics (like myself), or someone who enjoys period pieces, but I wouldn't recommend it to horror fans looking for a chill to make the hair on their necks stand up.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the conjuring 2 was fucking epic

Pretty excited for this one. The first film was really really good.

The writers were on a youtube show I watch the other day and they were talking about how The Warrens are real paranormal investigators and the stories in the films are based on actual cases the Warrens investigated. Mrs Warren is still alive and they consult with her when writing the films. They told some really freaky stories about shit happening while they talked to her (hearing whispering voices many times, etc) Regardless of what you believe about all this stuff, it was creepy to hear their accounts.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,086.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm watching a classic. Anybody ever see Evil Dead 2?

Love it!!!!

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,086.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When are they gonna make a movie about a living vagina that takes over men's lives and terrorizes them?

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

View attachment 123811

NM. That's marriage. :pound:
[/QUOTE]

That was 1 of my best comments ever. In almost 10 years and 200k comments posting on these kinds of message boards.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cot Dammit @FaCe-LeE-uS

Where the Hell is the table of contents????

Just hooked up my Nflix streaming and have to search all over for the reviews.
I think you should alphabetize them.

:lol:

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty excited for this one. The first film was really really good.

The writers were on a youtube show I watch the other day and they were talking about how The Warrens are real paranormal investigators and the stories in the films are based on actual cases the Warrens investigated. Mrs Warren is still alive and they consult with her when writing the films. They told some really freaky stories about shit happening while they talked to her (hearing whispering voices many times, etc) Regardless of what you believe about all this stuff, it was creepy to hear their accounts.

I can understand, I find con artists pretty creepy too.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cot Dammit @FaCe-LeE-uS

Where the Hell is the table of contents????

Just hooked up my Nflix streaming and have to search all over for the reviews.
I think you should alphabetize them.

That would be awesome. But since I'm not a mod, I find the search tool very useful. Just select the "search this thread only" option before searching.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be awesome. But since I'm not a mod, I find the search tool very useful. Just select the "search this thread only" option before searching.

Hey, nobody likes a smartass!!!!!

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bought and watched "The Funhouse Massacre"(2015) the other night, i'd give it a 6.5/10, was a decent horror/comedy movie.