• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,071.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good review jakedog! :suds:

Bummed this movie didn't turn out well. But glad you reviewed it so I can steer clear! lol

I get duped by premature IMDB ratings all the time. Comes with the territory of being horror junkies. I comb the web for new material all the time and I often come across new horror films boasting >7 ratings, but with only a handful of reviewers. I would have given this movie a go as well because the trailer seems to support the 7.2 rating. All new movies have to pass the ratings & eye tests!

@Mecca told me to go watch The Shallows.....she told me it was a good movie. Tagging Mecca so she can get in on the action here.....:pound:

But, be nice to her and she's all mine. My online sweetie.....and yes, she's a real women, I know about the rumor about women on the internet, but she's ALL WOMAN. :heh:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Mecca told me to go watch The Shallows.....she told me it was a good movie. Tagging Mecca so she can get in on the action here.....:pound:

But, be nice to her and she's all mine. My online sweetie.....and yes, she's a real women, I know about the rumor about women on the internet, but she's ALL WOMAN. :heh:
We'd definitely welcome another horror fan into the mix! Regardless of gender!

We just ask that she excuse our "BM" ratings.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,071.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Called off at work today (I was going to on Friday, but decided to today, Friday I'll just mail it in) and about to watch Halloween H20: 20 years later.

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coming Soon!

The Shallows (2016)

Release Date: Friday, June 24th

Synopsis:
A mere 200 yards from shore, surfer Nancy is attacked by a great white shark, with her short journey to safety becoming the ultimate contest of wills.

Have to admit this looks pretty intense. But the glaring problem I have already is how in the hell did she manage to only get a basketball-sized bite on her thigh when the shark they show is about the size of 1-ton truck? Not to mention how did she manage to get away from it while the others were merely single-bite appetizers? Hard to get past that, but I could see myself enjoying this movie. Not a huge fan of Blake Lively, but her part doesn't appear to require much acting ability. Suspense will be carried out by the situation & the shark, so she is essentially along for the ride. Could be entertaining! :noidea:

Apologies for using a trailer that features a pic of Blake's ass for clickbait! lol. I highly doubt anyone in here will mind. Lookin at you @Chef99 & @Win TWINS!!!

I swear, I never got this tag....

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Get real, hambone. She tolerates you, in a retarded brother kind of way...:crazy:

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn I must've been asleep at the wheel! Thanks for the bump! :suds:

I had a miserable night of horror movies yesterday. Tried watching "ABC's of Death" per recommendation from a family friend, and I really regret ever turning it on. Not even worth writing a review for, it was that bad. So bad that I couldn't even justify laughing about it.

Also watched "The Diabolical". Probably write one for that but it wasn't anything special.
Just watched this inthe past week. I thought it was ok.... until you realized where they were coming from.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
COMING SOON!

Nerve (2016)

Release Date: July 27th

Synopsis: A high school senior finds herself immersed in an online game of truth or dare, where her every move starts to become manipulated by an anonymous community of "watchers."

As predicted, the tech-savvy movies are starting to become popular. Like The Den, Windows or Unfriended, these movies like to incorporate cyber technology both as a viewpoint and as an antagonistic source. I am of a fan of these types of movies, as long as they don't get too carried away. I think Unfriended was an example of what can happen when they rely too heavily on the tech viewpoint. It sort of diminishes the shock value and makes it less scary. If you want to see one of those movies "done right" then watch Windows or The Den. Those 2 filmed in both real time and via computer screens. Nerve looks like it is going to follow that recipe. However this movie doesn't look like horror, but more thriller. Still could be an entertaining watch. Only gripe I have right now is it looks like a complete rip-off of 13 Sins. Which was a pretty good movie and it has a decent horror element.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You see The Abandoned?

Just watched The Abandoned. Overall I found it to be a pretty creepy and well done for a fairly low budget horror flick.

A chick gets a job as a night guard in a huge deserted old pretty cool housing facility. Her lone coworker is a real dillhole who ridicules and disrespects her at every turn. She somehow decides that it would be a good idea to ignore her orders and starts digging around in the sub basement, which wakes up a bunch of angry kid spirits. This of course leads to a bit of chaos in dark rooms and corridors, leading up to a twisty conclusion.

Positives:
*Acting, directing, cinematography, storyline is all pretty good. Not excellent but pretty good.
*Not a huge amount suspense but a lot of somewhat scary ambiance filled in with a few hair raising scenes to keep things on a bit of an edge.
*Soundtrack was nice and effectively used.

Negatives:
*Chick behaves rather irrationality but it is explained. Still.........kind of annoying.
*Story kind of peters out instead of really building.
*Ending. Not really a negative, but I wasn't so impressed. Others might like it more. A matter of opinion.

I was going for about a 7.5 out of 10 through most of it but I drop it to a 6.5 to 7 due to the last 15 minutes or so. It was still pretty good and worth a watch IMO.

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched The Abandoned. Overall I found it to be a pretty creepy and well done for a fairly low budget horror flick.

A chick gets a job as a night guard in a huge deserted old pretty cool housing facility. Her lone coworker is a real dillhole who ridicules and disrespects her at every turn. She somehow decides that it would be a good idea to ignore her orders and starts digging around in the sub basement, which wakes up a bunch of angry kid spirits. This of course leads to a bit of chaos in dark rooms and corridors, leading up to a twisty conclusion.

Positives:
*Acting, directing, cinematography, storyline is all pretty good. Not excellent but pretty good.
*Not a huge amount suspense but a lot of somewhat scary ambiance filled in with a few hair raising scenes to keep things on a bit of an edge.

Negatives:
*Chick behaves rather irrationality but it is explained. Still.........kind of annoying.
*Ending. Not really a negative, but I wasn't so impressed. Others might like it more. A matter of opinion.

I was going for about a 7.5 out of 10 through most of it but I drop it to a 6.5 to 7 due to the last 15 minutes or so. It was still pretty good and worth a watch IMO.

Sounds sorta like this one I watched on Netflix...
Last Shift (2014) - IMDb
I think the IMDB rating is fair, it kept me interested and had some good scares. Think I watched it when I was home sick one day.
I will keep an eye out for The Abandoned...

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds sorta like this one I watched on Netflix...
Last Shift (2014) - IMDb
I think the IMDB rating is fair, it kept me interested and had some good scares. Think I watched it when I was home sick one day.
I will keep an eye out for The Abandoned...

I would say that Last Shift is pretty comparable to The Abandoned on a quality/story/execution level. As an avid horror fan I do have a tendancy to rate the genre slightly higher than norm.

Another one that is really similar to Last Shift is Let Us Prey. Rated about the same on IMDB but I really liked it.

I think that you can find reviews of both Last Shift and Let Us Prey in this thread using the Search option on the upper right.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,071.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@KnightAndDay.....you wanna bet some MLB tonight or Sunday on the betting exchange.....

I can't wait till the fucking bookie gets back....

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You see The Abandoned?

Positives:

Negatives:

The Abandoned (2016)

Thanks for the rec @Win TWINS!!! (hopefully the tag works this time) :suds:

On Netflix! I agree with all of the positives & negatives that @jakedog56 mentioned. Just to add a few things... The atmosphere is really laid on thick from the start which really sets a great tone for the movie. The setting of the old cathedral-esque apartment building didn't need any help with creating a creepy ambiance, and it was visually engrossing by itself. But the subtle whispers & eerie noises were all that was needed to create a suspense. However I will say that with the way things progressed the film didn't hold suspense very well. Would have loved to have seen the scary characters more. The mutant boy & the black-haired girl sitting on the roof were awesome. Not sure why they didn't use those 2 spirits more. The plot was simple, and I would have liked the ending more if I hadn't seen it done so many times before. This movie ended up being a very basic carbon copy of many movies before it. Overall, this movie is a middling supernatural horror film. It is far from revolutionary and is at times frustrating with its use of routine plot devices, but there are some legitimately creepy moments. On a visual and atmospheric level it's fantastic, but the script doesn't match up very well.

Good atmosphere but average direction... 6/10

Last edited:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Girl In the Photographs (2015)

On Netflix! On the surface this movie is what it is, an unconventional slasher flick. The movie doesn't really try to add or keep much suspense, but rather it lets the characters parade around without cause until their untimely deaths. It was like watching a herd of bovine waddling around the slaughter pens. Most of these slasher flicks at least let the victims run around like chickens with their heads cut off, but not this one. None of the characters had much of a clue as to what was happening until it was too late. It made for a very anticlimactic movie. I think it would have been better if they allowed them to go to LA prior to the bloodbath. And maybe throw in some better character awareness to add more thrill & suspense rather than letting them look like cattle. The casting of Kal Penn to this movie doesn't quite fit for me. Not sure if it was intentional, but the director attempted to add comedic element but it ended up being completely unnecessary because it didn't add anything to the movie. It was almost as if Penn was allowed to be himself, and he really didn't fit the character very well. The other actors did an average job as well. The main antagonist, Luke Baines, was awesome. He already has a 10/10 creepiness factor if you judge a book by it's cover. But he still put on a good performance. However I wished they added more background to his character. Seems like there was a lot going on with him and each scene leaves you questioning his chracter more. Was he gay (shirtless with his fat accomplice most of the time)? Why is he treating these people like cats? Why the redneck truck (doesn't fit the character very well)? Why take all the weird killing photos? Why the attraction to the main girl? etc etc. Not much explanation with him. One of the better components of this movie was the gore. It had a decent old-school feel to it (no fx), but still very violent. I liked the bluntness to it. Overall the movie was a decent effort, but the writing and acting sinks it. I wouldn't recommend it unless you are really starved for new material.

The cattle were left out for slaughter... 5/10

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,071.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to try and find some Horror flicks to watch today and Monday......Maybe even Tuesday if I have a mystery Holiday illness...:pound:

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,071.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Mecca

I know you love horror movies and while......yes......it is NBA free agency......come spend a little time with myself and the fellas.....we don't.....well they don't don't bite.....I do. :lol:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Girl In Woods (2016)

This one is pretty hard to review because I honestly had a very hard time figuring out what in the fuck was going on in this movie. What first appears to be a battle of inner demons, quickly turns to all around strange occurrences. The jumping from imagination to reality blurs the plot lines and makes it difficult to understand and enjoy the film. But I do admit that it kept me engaged. Never did I feel like my attempts to understand were futile. The suspense was decent. The cinematography & fx were good, and added great filming elements to the suffocating atmosphere. The actress put on a good performance. While she may have been predictable, the frightening reality of her mental illness made things pretty interesting. But she pulled off split personalities very well. I think the movie could have benefitted from less torment from imagination and more from reality. A more linear plotline would have been helpful as well. This one may take a while to digest, so I may not be giving this film the credit where its due. But I'll let others figure that out for themselves.

Confusing thriller... 5/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would You Rather (2012)

On Netflix! Probably one of the best horror films you can find on Netflix IMO. This one is for all those "What Would I Do?" fans out there. Aside from the presumed Saw-like gore factor, this movie found ways to make you cringe without ever resorting to full on visual gore. Some of the worst parts were left to the imagination. This was a film that actually benefited from a lower budget. I say that with the assumption that a bigger budget would have forced us to endure the over usage of all the stunts. I liked the "less is more" approach, especially when dealing with the gruesome nature of the plot. The writing, cinematography, acting, storyline, & gore were all top notch. The acting performances were great, the suspense was there, and the story was gripping. However, the movie is certainly not without its faults. First and most prominent is the lack of a decent score. The film rarely utilizes music to draw you in, which is especially noticeable at the beginning and end of the film. The climax & ending felt so flat that it could hardly produce sympathy. Also there is a fair amount of filler placed within this movie that sort of degrades the overall picture. For all its problems though, the film does accomplish what it sets out to do. If I were to simply judge the 2nd act of this film it would get an easy 9. However, the overall picture deserves around a 7 to be more accurate.

Moral dilemma between greed & survival... 7.5/10