• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blair Witch (2016)

Another example of Hollywood proving to us that they have very little talent left for new material. This movie was a supposed sequel to the first movie back in '99, but it literally felt and looked like the exact same movie. Other than different characters and timeline, the biggest difference is we actually get to catch glimpses of the vaunted Witch, but that's all. I guess you can also include better filming equipment, but that's to be expected after almost 20 years of technological advancements. If you recall the first one, it takes quite a while for the movie to get up on its feet and this movie is no different. It's basically a snorefest up until the final 10 minutes where the climax takes over. The majority of the "suspense" relied heavily on its predecessor and the lore it created. The sounds of branches breaking & camera movements don't inspire much scare factor. But the climactic finish was awesome. If I were to recommend viewing this movie, I'd suggest fast forwarding to the final 20-30mins. It's pretty damn easy to piece together whats going on from there.

Recycled plot that doesn't offer much... 5/10

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just watched The Darkness on YouTube. Holy Shit! Did Kevin Bacon just owe somebody a huge favor or something? I was almost crying laughing when the movie had no idea how to explain the haunting so they have a character sit down and stumble upon a YouTube video within 5 seconds of searching and get detailed instructions on how to get rid of it, not only once, but twice. Excellent cast, but I watched that shit for free and still feel cheated.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just watched The Darkness on YouTube. Holy Shit! Did Kevin Bacon just owe somebody a huge favor or something? I was almost crying laughing when the movie had no idea how to explain the haunting so they have a character sit down and stumble upon a YouTube video within 5 seconds of searching and get detailed instructions on how to get rid of it, not only once, but twice. Excellent cast, but I watched that shit for free and still feel cheated.
Had to really dig for my review, but here it is if you're interested:

Horror Movies

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FirstBorn (2016)

Difficult movie to review. I loved all the ideas that it presented and it had a lot of the tools that I love in horror films, but it was sort of missing the biggest aspect of them all, scare factor. What frustrated me the most was everything that was supposed to be scary is either off-camera or hidden. And even when the creatures are shown on camera they are mostly covered in darkness & shadows which sort of deteriorated the luster of it, even if the cgi/fx was pretty damn good. The progression is great, as it takes little time to get off the ground and start building the suspense. However, the climax left me wanting more. The acting was top notch. Sort of a bummer because it had all the makings to be something truly special. It still presents some great creativity and is very unique in its own right, but it ultimately feels like a flat experience. If it had been more horrifying, graphic, etc it could have been somethin great. Not a bad watch but don't expect much.

Good potential, but lacks the scare factor... 6.5/10

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blair Witch (2016)

Another example of Hollywood proving to us that they have very little talent left for new material. This movie was a supposed sequel to the first movie back in '99, but it literally felt and looked like the exact same movie. Other than different characters and timeline, the biggest difference is we actually get to catch glimpses of the vaunted Witch, but that's all. I guess you can also include better filming equipment, but that's to be expected after almost 20 years of technological advancements. If you recall the first one, it takes quite a while for the movie to get up on its feet and this movie is no different. It's basically a snorefest up until the final 10 minutes where the climax takes over. The majority of the "suspense" relied heavily on its predecessor and the lore it created. The sounds of branches breaking & camera movements don't inspire much scare factor. But the climactic finish was awesome. If I were to recommend viewing this movie, I'd suggest fast forwarding to the final 20-30mins. It's pretty damn easy to piece together whats going on from there.

Recycled plot that doesn't offer much... 5/10
Sux. I was kinda looking forward to that. Even decent sequels now a days seem far and in between.

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might have already covered this too, but "The Devils Candy". My God did I love this one. Hadnt heard a thing about this movie going in, but it really blew me away. Tense, tense, dark movie, but in a good way. Superb acting, superb editing, and gorgeous cinematography for such a low budget movie. Can't recommend this one enough.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Fun Watch of the Day:

medium-cover.jpg

Great cast (I'll watch anything with Elisabeth Shue...and hello, Richard Dreyfuss!), surprising gory special effects and a dopey, superficial but clever and fun story. And I mean fun! These fish are so hungry, they will even eat Jerry O'Connell:

1ee7c82b0aa24a6628f75aa75d50262e.jpg

Haha, poor Jerry. No poontang tonight! Next time, try the tuna...

Anyway, we're talkin' a horror/comedy kinda thing here, but with an emphasis on the horror and gore, with a huge nod to the mother of all Killer Fish Movies, Jaws.

Alexandre Aja directed, and while I didn't love The Hills Have Eyes remake, I can see why Wes Craven saw something in him. I intend to delve into this whole Mirrors thing.

I really enjoyed this movie and I want to watch it again just to see what I missed the first time around. It was that good.

Final Thought: I always wondered what happened to Matt Hooper...

jaws141+piranha2.jpg

"Well, at least I got a cameo; what the hell is Scheider doing these days???"

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Fun Watch of the Day:

medium-cover.jpg

Great cast (I'll watch anything with Elisabeth Shue...and hello, Richard Dreyfuss!), surprising gory special effects and a dopey, superficial but clever and fun story. And I mean fun! These fish are so hungry, they will even eat Jerry O'Connell:

1ee7c82b0aa24a6628f75aa75d50262e.jpg

Haha, poor Jerry. No poontang tonight! Next time, try the tuna...

Anyway, we're talkin' a horror/comedy kinda thing here, but with an emphasis on the horror and gore, with a huge nod to the mother of all Killer Fish Movies, Jaws.

Alexandre Aja directed, and while I didn't love The Hills Have Eyes remake, I can see why Wes Craven saw something in him. I intend to delve into this whole Mirrors thing.

I really enjoyed this movie and I want to watch it again just to see what I missed the first time around. It was that good.

Final Thought: I always wondered what happened to Matt Hooper...

jaws141+piranha2.jpg

"Well, at least I got a cameo; what the hell is Scheider doing these days???"
Watched this today on Sci-fy

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched this today on Sci-fy

Me too. Totally unfortunate they followed it up with Ghost Rider.

Kinda like a primer on how to do things right and how to do things wrong.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next up to watch (on Chiller):

231586-charlie-s-farm-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg

Yeah, this has already been discussed, but it's springtime...perhaps the farm has a fresh crop!

And after Piranha with its ensemble cast, I feel like seein' some Tara Reid.

american-actress-tara-reid-poses-on-the-set-of-horror-film-charlies-picture-id482086907

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next up to watch (on Chiller):

231586-charlie-s-farm-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg

Yeah, this has already been discussed, but it's springtime...perhaps the farm has a fresh crop!

And after Piranha with its ensemble cast, I feel like seein' some Tara Reid.

american-actress-tara-reid-poses-on-the-set-of-horror-film-charlies-picture-id482086907
Pretty sure this is the one where a dude gets killed by gettin his own member stabbed down or through his throat... Enjoy!
:lol:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sux. I was kinda looking forward to that. Even decent sequels now a days seem far and in between.
Same here. After the teaser trailers dropped and they hid the name of it as "The Woods", I was hooked! Once it switched or revealed the title to Blair Witch my expectations took a huge hit. But the trailers still made it look pretty damn good. Whoever makes trailers these days should get a huge cut of the profits...

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:drool:
Man I hope they don't fuck this one up. Looks good.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched a couple of enjoyable ones today:

Dracula Untold - Pretty good acting, story and some nice special effects involving the original Batman. :thumb::thumb:

Here's one that may surprise:

Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones - Loved it from the get-go. Engaging and entertaining storyline, and that's good, 'cuz it takes awhile for the freaky deak to kick in. When it does, you are rewarded with some good ol' creepy-ass scares. And I'll be damned if that ain't Katie and her hubby at the end...:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Paranormal-Activity-The-Marked-Ones.jpg

I saw a movie titled Pair a Norma Activities. Both actresses deserve a silver twat award.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,096.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching movies until the Final Four starts a little later.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Devil In the Dark (2017)

This was a pretty cool creature-feature. Add this to your list @Sharkonabicycle. Gotta say though that its a bit of a slow burn. It takes a little while for the suspense to get going but once it does you will be happy that you stuck it out. The first half of the movie delves into the relationship between the 2 main characters and sets an uneasy mood for the rest of the movie. That leads me to my biggest gripe, which was it spent too much time establishing background to the family dynamic. It was beautifully made though. Great use of b-roll & flashbacks to transition scenes and push the tempo of the movie. And even though I griped about the pace, it was never at all boring because it is so realistic and the acting is strong. It could have been that the director was going for one of those metaphoric approaches, but I haven't quite made that connection yet. Unlike most creature-feature films this one doesn't have much gore, and the creature doesn't take center stage until late in the movie. But it still had a great amount of suspense once the action picks up. Pretty crazy fight for survival, and there is a great twist to the ending of the film. Overall I think this movie would have benefitted from a bigger budget, but what we got is still a pretty clean & surprisingly good product. I'd recommend it, but remember its a slow-burn!

Slow, well-made but left me wanting more... 7/10