• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will have to check out the Autopsy of Jane Doe though. :)
giphy.gif

I watched it again with a buddy yesterday.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
André Øvredal-

He seems to be a good up and coming director............but I live in Norway (so sick of the f'n snow and cold!) and really am tired of the Ø, Å, and Æ crap. They just do this shit be different. Throw away those worthless letters and start just using O, A, and AE forcryinoutloud!

Will have to check out the Autopsy of Jane Doe though. :)
Jealous that you're living in a country that knows how to make great horror. Almost every movie is gold! Any good recommendations?

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jealous that you're living in a country that knows how to make great horror. Almost every movie is gold! Any good recommendations?

LOL! After 13+ years here I am ready to be some place , ANY place warmer!

Don't really have many recommendations beyond the "standards": Dead Snow 1 and 2, the aforementioned Trollhunter, maybe Cold Prey 1 and 2, Hidden, or Next Door?

Expand it to include Denmark, and Sweden and there are some more good ones. Let the Right One In is great.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL! After 13+ years here I am ready to be some place , ANY place warmer!

Don't really have many recommendations beyond the "standards": Dead Snow 1 and 2, the aforementioned Trollhunter, maybe Cold Prey 1 and 2, Hidden, or Next Door?

Expand it to include Denmark, and Sweden and there are some more good ones. Let the Right One In is great.
Keep 'em comin! Not sure which ones I have seen other than Let The Right One In. Saw Dead Snow on Netflix but haven't watched those yet.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lemon Tree Passage (2015)

I typically enjoy urban legend films. Somethin about them being based on true stories, whether believable or not, makes them more realistic. But sadly this movie suffers from poor writing/directing and continuity which ruined the experience. The progression is inconsistent, shifting its tone multiple times and using a predictable cliché based premise that doesn't pan out. It starts out okay but after a while the logic crumbles as both the characters and even the supernatural elements act in an arbitrary manner. It felt like they tried to do too much with the plot and things got too confusing. The revenge twist wasn't necessary as it took too much attention away from the suspense with having to show too much backstory to the urban legend & the whole older-brother storyline. The cinematography, setting, & acting were decent, but nothing special. In short, the movie ends up being a consecutive series of random occurrences which lose any sense of continuity or structure after thirty minutes. A forgettable mess which was attempted to be tied together but my attention was already lost.

Poorly directed nonsense... 4/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Perfect Host (2010)

On Netflix! Wasn't sure what I was getting myself into with this film but I was scraping for new material on Netflix and this one had been in my queue for some time. Found it in the horror/thriller genre but after watching it I figured out it is not exactly a horror film, although it's easy to see how it could have been made as one. It has a bunch of horror elements, but overall it belongs more in the crime thriller category, and has hints of comedy. Don't get me wrong, it still belongs in this thread! This film has lots of twists & turns that make it very enthralling. What appears to be a typical home invasion thriller on the surface turns into a table-turning cat & mouse game where it becomes difficult to discern good guy from bad guy. The overall tone of the movie is fairly creepy with not much suspense, but it works. Given the vast majority of the film takes place in one setting the film relies heavily on acting and they delivered. David Hyde Pierce definitely steals the show, but Clayne Crawford was solid. If you enjoy good thrillers and/or want a different take on the home invasion genre then I recommend giving this movie a watch!

Unique table-turning thriller... 7/10

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Perfect Host (2010)

On Netflix! Wasn't sure what I was getting myself into with this film but I was scraping for new material on Netflix and this one had been in my queue for some time. Found it in the horror/thriller genre but after watching it I figured out it is not exactly a horror film, although it's easy to see how it could have been made as one. It has a bunch of horror elements, but overall it belongs more in the crime thriller category, and has hints of comedy. Don't get me wrong, it still belongs in this thread! This film has lots of twists & turns that make it very enthralling. What appears to be a typical home invasion thriller on the surface turns into a table-turning cat & mouse game where it becomes difficult to discern good guy from bad guy. The overall tone of the movie is fairly creepy with not much suspense, but it works. Given the vast majority of the film takes place in one setting the film relies heavily on acting and they delivered. David Hyde Pierce definitely steals the show, but Clayne Crawford was solid. If you enjoy good thrillers and/or want a different take on the home invasion genre then I recommend giving this movie a watch!

lol love that movie. "It's a cheeky little drop, isn't it?" and "Bit too heavy for my constitution. Bit rustic, plus it stains the teeth!" I use that last line from time to time when with people and it always gets a laugh or two (along with some WTF faces).

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol love that movie. "It's a cheeky little drop, isn't it?" and "Bit too heavy for my constitution. Bit rustic, plus it stains the teeth!" I use that last line from time to time when with people and it always gets a laugh or two (along with some WTF faces).
Would you like the red or the white? lol. The interactions between Warwick & his imagination were weird AF.

Got a good laugh out of the scene "Check out this piece of a$$, huh, John?" "LOVE ME!!!"

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need some good creature features... I've seen a TON but can never get enough and I'm SO tired of stupid ass horror movies being about ghosts/paranormal crap. Ghosts are NOT scary. If some ghost chick came out of my TV at least I know I'm getting laid that night and don't have to worry about pulling out. You know what is scary? A fucking lion/bear.

Ghost in the Darkness
The Relic
Jaws
Deep Blue Sea
Shallows
Backcountry
Tremors
Arachnophobia
Maneater
Alien/Aliens/Alien 3/Ress
Promethus
Predator/2
AVP/AVP:R
Grizzly
The Edge
Frankenfish
Lake Placid
Rogue
Prey
Burning Bright (this is a hidden gem)
Spiders
Q
Godzilla stuff

Ugh, I can't get enough... I challenge someone to find me a good monster movie that is not half bad that I haven't seen. I just listed the above quickly off the top of my head... good luck!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need some good creature features... I've seen a TON but can never get enough and I'm SO tired of stupid ass horror movies being about ghosts/paranormal crap. Ghosts are NOT scary. If some ghost chick came out of my TV at least I know I'm getting laid that night and don't have to worry about pulling out. You know what is scary? A fucking lion/bear.

Ghost in the Darkness
The Relic
Jaws
Deep Blue Sea
Shallows
Backcountry
Tremors
Arachnophobia
Maneater
Alien/Aliens/Alien 3/Ress
Promethus
Predator/2
AVP/AVP:R
Grizzly
The Edge
Frankenfish
Lake Placid
Rogue
Prey
Burning Bright (this is a hidden gem)
Spiders
Q
Godzilla stuff

Ugh, I can't get enough... I challenge someone to find me a good monster movie that is not half bad that I haven't seen. I just listed the above quickly off the top of my head... good luck!
Challenge accepted, good sir! List comin' in hot!

Not all of these are necessarily real creatures like bears, lions or sharks... but fictional/freakish monsters en sech. I have reviewed most of all of these in this thread if you're interested (use the search function above with the "search this thread only" selected).

Anaconda
Bait
The Barrens
The Cave
Cloverfield
The Descent, 1 & 2 (I'm sure you've seen these)
Digging Up the Marrow
Frankenstein's Army
From the Dark
The Hallow
Indigenous
Into the Grizzly Maze
Jeepers Creepers (1st is the best, 2nd is meh)
Man Vs.
The Mist
The Monster
Rogue
Rites of Spring
Slither
Splinter
The Thing (original or new)
The Tunnel
Under the Bed

Shit I could go on for days... Get back at me if you need more

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not all of these are necessarily real creatures like bears, lions or sharks... but fictional/freakish monsters en sech. I have reviewed most of all of these in this thread if you're interested (use the search function above with the "search this thread only" selected).

Anaconda
Bait
The Barrens

The Cave
Cloverfield
Digging Up the Marrow
Frankenstein's Army
From the Dark
The Hallow
Indigenous
Into the Grizzly Maze
Man Vs.
The Mist
The Monster
Rogue
Rites of Spring
Slither
Splinter
The Thing (original or new) - pretty sure God asks when you are in front of the gates. "Oh, and before I let you in, you saw Carpenter's The Thing right?" If you say no you're immediately sent to hell.
The Tunnel
Under the Bed

Haven't seen what I bolded... I'll have to check em' out. Thanks Face.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't seen what I bolded... I'll have to check em' out. Thanks Face.
Creature lineup preview:

Bait... Shark thriller
The Barrens... The New Jersey Devil (pretty damn good low-budget film)
Indigenous... F*ckin freaky jungle alien
Man Vs... Disappointing looking alien, but decent suspense & story. I'd save this for a drinking night.
The Tunnel... Cannibalistic humanoid? 2011 movie, there are many under the same title so be mindful of which one.
Under the Bed... Jeepers Creepers meets Pumpkin Head

Another worth mentioning... It's In the Blood

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Creature lineup preview:

Bait... Shark thriller
The Barrens... The New Jersey Devil (pretty damn good low-budget film)
Indigenous... F*ckin freaky jungle alien
Man Vs... Disappointing looking alien, but decent suspense & story. I'd save this for a drinking night.
The Tunnel... Cannibalistic humanoid? 2011 movie, there are many under the same title so be mindful of which one.
Under the Bed... Jeepers Creepers meets Pumpkin Head

Another worth mentioning... It's In the Blood
Watched indigenous today. Not bad. Did like the creatures.

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Anaconda
Bait
The Barrens
The Cave
Cloverfield
Digging Up the Marrow
Frankenstein's Army
From the Dark
The Hallow
Indigenous
Into the Grizzly Maze
Man Vs.
The Mist
The Monster
Rogue
Rites of Spring
Slither
Splinter
The Thing (original or new)
The Tunnel
Under the Bed

Loved the first Jeepers Creepers. I was hooked when they showed that dudes underground lair and his "sewing work"
Didn't really get into the 2nd one. For some reason, I didn't find the whole bus atmosphere as enganging.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loved the first Jeepers Creepers. I was hooked when they showed that dudes underground lair and his "sewing work"
Didn't really get into the 2nd one. For some reason, I didn't find the whole bus atmosphere as enganging.

The second one looked too clean, if that makes sense. I don't know how else to describe it. Plus the first one had more mystery because you were still in the dark about what the creeper was (plus the second one made it look terribly fake in parts) and had multiple locations that worked well. Even the old truck riding them with that horn sound was a nice touch in the first.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Perfect Host (2010)

That was a fun one. I had a bit of a bad run with movies that were horror, but nothing of the variety that would cause any scares. Mixed results as to their quality for what they were.

The Woman - 2011. Came into it thinking it was going to be similar to I Spit on your Grave or Last House on the Left. Had some moments, but I just wasn't into it. Just seemed a bit too out there.

I Sell the Dead - 2008. Entertaining enough. I really don't have more to add.

Taste of Fear (aka Scream of Fear) - 1961. More mystery/thriller than horror. A lot have been done in the same vein since. While I wouldn't call it a horror, it was still a good movie.

Blue Sunshine - 1977. Bizarre killings are happening in the 70s. Is it from a bad strain of LSD from the 60s? Played like more of a cop/detective movie of that era. If that's your thing, have at it.

Backcountry - 2014. Into the woods. Never really built any tension for me about a threat from nature.

We Are What We Are - 2013. We are what we are, but let's try and grind this out and build up some mystique about it only to get to what everyone came into the movie thinking.

Bone Tomahawk - 2015. Western with cannibals. It's been done before. Good cast if nothing else.

Area 51 - 2014. A found footage film from the guy that brought you Paranormal Activity. While I'm admittedly not a fan of the Paranormal Activity franchise, I'd still suggest staying away from this one.

Maniac Cop 2 - 1990. Having seen the first one I wasn't expecting a horror movie. So from that perspective I wasn't disappointed. What was disappointing was the lack of Bruce Campbell.

Intruder - 1989. Solid 80s slasher with Sam Raimi in it.

Visitor Q - 2001. A weird Japanese movie. They classified it as horror. It was just weird.

The Last House on Dead End Street - 1977. Was pretty meh. Guess it had some kind of cult status at one point. Apparently what's available cut out whatever made it have any value as a movie to watch.

The Greasy Strangler - 2016. A horribly dumb movie. Bullshit artist. But in the end I couldn't help but like it.

The Monster - 2016. Could have been good. But they wanted to try and make the movie have some deep meaning where none was needed and in the process had horribly annoying characters.

And to end on the brighter side. The last two I watched were Blood Punch (2013) and 13 Sins (2014). Both were enjoyable.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tank 432 (2015)

A whole lotta what.the.fuck in this movie. Honestly had a hard time figuring out what was going on, even 30mins in I was still grasping for straws. There's no background or plot building so you're basically thrust into a crazy scenario of survival trying to piece together clues of what is happening with a strange band of characters (soldiers, prisoners, & civilians) that are fleeing from some crazy alien creatures. This must have been what it felt like to wake up on the alien planet in the movie Predators lol. Except the storyline is much more incoherent, and lacks any sort of strong points that you can reflect on. Aside from every curse word in the English dictionary (mainly the word F*ck), the dialogue was almost non-existent, and even the parts you could pick out didn't really make sense. After a while I stopped trying to listen and that led to me not even paying attention. The climax felt like there was some sort of twist or "ah-ha!" moment, but frankly I was too lost to comprehend it. The only thing I found remotely cool were the creatures, but even they couldn't save this mess. The filming & acting were awful. Don't waste your time with this one.

Incoherent mess... 2/10