• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Taking of Deborah Logan (2014)

Netflix! Solid stuff! Another typical "found footage" film, but this one adds more to the horror element. This isn't great by any means, but i was entertained. Creepy done right! Had a few good jumps during the movie. Material isn't original since its basic possession, but the acting was better than normal. Definitely worth the watch.

7.5/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absentia (2011)

Another Netflix movie! This movie lived up to the hype. The material is very original. The idea itself can come off as slightly ridiculous but give it a chance. The budget is typical of indie horror, but the cinematography & acting were on point! Don't be fooled by the slow moving pace, because the movie has an almost-suffocating tension that elevates the climax. Found myself very creeped out after all was said and done.

Definitely recommend! 8/10

Last edited:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sams Lake (2006)

On Netflix. I usually enjoy horror legends turned Hollywood because you know the material is usually original or new. This movie had a low budget, even for indie horror's standards, so I wasn't expecting much. But I ended up disappointed. I'll label this one as "okay" or slightly below decent. It was effective, but the acting was poor. You get the typical character stupidity of 90% of horror films, which isn't their fault but the acting is still pretty awful at moments. Not to "go there" but one of the actors is CLEARLY homosexual and he is playing a straight guy. He wasn't fooling anybody.

5/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possession (2008)

Not to be confused with "The Possession" from 2012. This movie was very good, and very original! Well, it was originally made in China so not exactly original, but hopefully you know what I mean. More of a thriller but presents a few good scares and lots of creepy. The plot & acting were great. The main characters find themselves in a very unnerving situation. Not your typical possession type movie.

Recommended! 8/10

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ever get around to watching it? Curious what your thoughts are on it! :suds:

I did actually. To be honest, I thought it was pretty damn good but,

I would say but I have no idea how to do that spoiler thingey.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did actually. To be honest, I thought it was pretty damn good but,

I would say but I have no idea how to do that spoiler thingey.
Glad you enjoyed it! I really liked it as well.

To do the spoiler thingy you use the "insert" button above the text box. Click on it and a drop down menu displays and then click on the spoiler. Ignore the first text box and click continue, then just type whatever you want hidden between the boxes: {SPOILER}HERE{/SPOILER}

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad you enjoyed it! I really liked it as well.

To do the spoiler thingy you use the "insert" button above the text box. Click on it and a drop down menu displays and then click on the spoiler. Ignore the first text box and click continue, then just type whatever you want hidden between the boxes: {SPOILER}HERE{/SPOILER}

Excellent. Thanks.

I was stunned by the ending. These types of horror movies always have some shocking revelation at the end. I was expecting some big scene were they actually end up in hell itself. But no, they just get out of the sewer and go home. Very strange they did not go for some big climax . Maybe to keep the squeal door open?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent. Thanks.

I was stunned by the ending. These types of horror movies always have some shocking revelation at the end. I was expecting some big scene were they actually end up in hell itself. But no, they just get out of the sewer and go home. Very strange they did not go for some big climax . Maybe to keep the squeal door open?
I agree. Seemed like the movie could have made more of an impact with a bigger climax. Still pretty cool how the girl figured it out. But altogether the movie had a great premise and the plot progression was really cool to watch. Kept you guessing throughout!

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disaster LA (2014)

Netflix movie! Honestly found this movie pretty entertaining. Probably one of the better zombie movies of 2014. First off it is clear the budget is low, but the acting and special effects were better than one would anticipate. There were moments where you scratch your head, but all in all I think this movie was right for its budget. The plot was semi original and presented us with a different aspect of the zombie apocolypse. I for one was getting pretty tired of the zombie material, but this movie surprised me.

Worthy... 7/10

I am a big zombie fan so I watched it. It had its moments but stumbled a bit imo. I understand the suspension of belief but a few errors and misguided parts brought it down a little.

*When they were in the parking garage and their friend comes out from the stairwell, holds the door and yells at them to run they are clearly on the P3 level but the zombies on the other side of the door are clearly on P2! They show they shot of this several times and I am thinking "Hmmmmm.....the zombies are a level below them but still on the other side of the door??" A glaring error that should have been corrected. Plus the door on their level is blue but the door the zombies go through is bright green!!

*The brother gets a bit less obnoxious as the movie goes on but he comes off as a crazed cokehead early with his overly intense desperate rambling. I was hoping for him to die immediately! All I could think of was Andy Samburg in the "It's a Beautiful Day" video.

*The cgi of LA burning up was cool but there was what 12-15 zombies in the whole movie. In LA? Made me wish for less cgi budget and more zombie budget.

*Several of their friend sacrificed themselves way too early. I mean the zombies are fast moving but generally they were a step slower than the people. So you are running away from the z's and gaining distance so why should someone stop and give the "go on without me" speech?!? Especially when it takes an extra 10 seconds in which time the z's catch up? It happens 3 times (though I understand the one guy was infected anyways).

They catch back up to the car and the guy is laying dead next to it. Then they run away!! Why did they not take the car?!? Are the just stupid??

Not th worst zombie flick I have seen but also far from the best. Try Deadset (British miniseries. But I think the fan cut of it I found was even better than the original episode based) or Deadheads (zomcom) for better relatively unknown z-flicks.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Several recommendations or non-recommendations (sorry about not posting the previews but I post from my phone).

* ABCs of Death. Both 1 and 2. Different horror directors take a short for each letter. So with 27 in each movie there has to be some people would like in each. Done with directors from all over the world so some are not in English so look for subtitled version.

*Stakeland. Vampire apocalypse. Lower budget than The Strain or Daybreakers but well done.

*I mentioned Deadset and Deadheads in the previous post but will mention them again here. Both worth watching imo.

*La Horde. French z movie. Dubbing is bad on my version but movie is decent.

*Pontypool. A different style z flick.Stephen McHattie is good in it. More psychological so it is a bit slow.

One to avoid (unless you like just plain weird): I love Kevin Smith but Tusk made me say "WTF did I just watch?!?" and not in a good way.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Several recommendations or non-recommendations (sorry about not posting the previews but I post from my phone).

* ABCs of Death. Both 1 and 2. Different horror directors take a short for each letter. So with 27 in each movie there has to be some people would like in each. Done with directors from all over the world so some are not in English so look for subtitled version.

*Stakeland. Vampire apocalypse. Lower budget than The Strain or Daybreakers but well done.

*I mentioned Deadset and Deadheads in the previous post but will mention them again here. Both worth watching imo.

*La Horde. French z movie. Dubbing is bad on my version but movie is decent.

*Pontypool. A different style z flick.Stephen McHattie is good in it. More psychological so it is a bit slow.

One to avoid (unless you like just plain weird): I love Kevin Smith but Tusk made me say "WTF did I just watch?!?" and not in a good way.

Seen most of these. Stakeland was pretty cool. Didn't care much for how it ended, but it stuck with the story line. You knew eventually they 2 guys were going to part ways since it covered so much of the kids development and learning, sort of like a bird learning to fly. Sounds corny but you catch my drift. Not sure I've seen Pontypool though. La Horde... Glad I gave it a chance. The first time I turned it off because I hate subtitled movies. Too distracting to enjoy it. But after watching it I was glad I did.

ABCs of Death (1-2) were pretty good. Obviously some were very farfetched & unrealistic. But like you said, some of the skits were really good.

And yea... Tusk... I'll never watch that movie ever again. I like Kevin Smith too, and the movie could have been great but he took it to a really disturbing place and ruined it.
I wish Smith followed the psychological element of the dismembering more. Like when he first took off his legs and fucked with his mind for a while. Then just end the movie with the final transformation.
That alone could have made the movie legendary. Also, how drunk/coked out of his mind was Depp during that cafe scene?? There's no way he wasn't on something during that filming day.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a big zombie fan so I watched it. It had its moments but stumbled a bit imo. I understand the suspension of belief but a few errors and misguided parts brought it down a little.

*When they were in the parking garage and their friend comes out from the stairwell, holds the door and yells at them to run they are clearly on the P3 level but the zombies on the other side of the door are clearly on P2! They show they shot of this several times and I am thinking "Hmmmmm.....the zombies are a level below them but still on the other side of the door??" A glaring error that should have been corrected. Plus the door on their level is blue but the door the zombies go through is bright green!!

*The brother gets a bit less obnoxious as the movie goes on but he comes off as a crazed cokehead early with his overly intense desperate rambling. I was hoping for him to die immediately! All I could think of was Andy Samburg in the "It's a Beautiful Day" video.

*The cgi of LA burning up was cool but there was what 12-15 zombies in the whole movie. In LA? Made me wish for less cgi budget and more zombie budget.

*Several of their friend sacrificed themselves way too early. I mean the zombies are fast moving but generally they were a step slower than the people. So you are running away from the z's and gaining distance so why should someone stop and give the "go on without me" speech?!? Especially when it takes an extra 10 seconds in which time the z's catch up? It happens 3 times (though I understand the one guy was infected anyways).

They catch back up to the car and the guy is laying dead next to it. Then they run away!! Why did they not take the car?!? Are the just stupid??

Not th worst zombie flick I have seen but also far from the best. Try Deadset (British miniseries. But I think the fan cut of it I found was even better than the original episode based) or Deadheads (zomcom) for better relatively unknown z-flicks.
Good review jake! :suds:

I agree, there were mistakes. It is very clear that it wasn't a hollywood blockbuster budget so there is bound to be some holes, but simple mistakes like the ones you mentioned are things that should have been caught/avoided.

I definitely liked the brother more after the car wreck. He stops acting like a fratboy deusch and starts being realistic.

More zombies is always a plus. But I thought the majority of the zombs they showed were better than the typical z's you see in low budget films. You are probably right, the cgi budget ate up the majority leaving little for everything else. Cuz they obviously didn't splurge on quality actors.

Never heard of Deadset or Deadheads! I'll definitely give them a try! Thanks! :yo:

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"It Follows" was fantastic.
"The Honeymoon" was also an unexpected surprise, on Netflix now.
Also recently saw The Orphanage and Housebound. Both were ok but left me wanting more.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And post apocalyptic horror flicks.

Read a lot of them to be ready for the zombie infestation and end of the world scenario.

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was feeling generous at Walmart and bought "Jessabelle" for my daughter, we all watched it a couple of nights ago. We're always on the lookout for PG-13 horror...it was worth watching for us, pretty scary and engaging. Some of it might be a little disturbing for a young teen, and there were lots of good cleavage shots of the very pretty ginger female star that I was grateful for. Of course, my wife had to blurt out the identity of the mystery "ghost" as soon as she figured it out and ruin it for my daughter, but that's another issue.
Going to keep an eye out for "Possession" as it is PG-13 and sounds interesting...thanks for the tip.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And post apocalyptic horror flicks.

Read a lot of them to be ready for the zombie infestation and end of the world scenario.
I'd kick some ass in the zombie apocalypse!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"It Follows" was fantastic.
"The Honeymoon" was also an unexpected surprise, on Netflix now.
Also recently saw The Orphanage and Housebound. Both were ok but left me wanting more.
I'm going to see It Follows this weekend. I've been waiting! Pretty stoked!

The Honeymoon was pretty good! A bit slow for my liking, still well crafted, but I was happy with the end result! It relied heavily on the acting since the cast was so small. They did a pretty stellar job!

Housebound was more comedy than serious horror. I'm sure you got that. I thought it was genius. Pretty damn hard to pull off a comedy horror.

Orphanage.. Forgot about that movie! But I agree, it left something to be desired. Kinda flat.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to see It Follows this weekend. I've been waiting! Pretty stoked!

The Honeymoon was pretty good! A bit slow for my liking, still well crafted, but I was happy with the end result! It relied heavily on the acting since the cast was so small. They did a pretty stellar job!

Housebound was more comedy than serious horror. I'm sure you got that. I thought it was genius. Pretty damn hard to pull off a comedy horror.

I agree, Housebound was pretty clever. I suppose I went into it expecting a straight up horror film but it was a quality flick.