• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One that wasn't spectacular but much better than the other recent watches is Jug Head.

It is a strange little tale about a bunch of backwoods rednecks that intentionally stay seperate from society and worship a small pit, which heals and helps them in their times of need. However when things are not addressed properly (like correct sacrifices) a spirit force kinda takes over a person and starts killing people.

I won't go into great detail as I am not even sure I understood all the details behind the story. Not a bad movie, just weird but not in a good weird way, just kind of a mundane (not boring but just mundane) weird way. 5.5 or soout of 10. A bit of throat slashing and some dismemberment is well done.

Definitely had a strange creepy vibe to it. Don't recall how it ended. Somewhat remember getting bored with it.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally got around to watching the Netflix movie Death Note... Man was that a disappointment. Not even remotely scary. I'll give a review on it sometime this weekend.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IT (2017)

Wow this movie didn't disappoint at all. I was very impressed by this film for how close it was to the book. I'm sure all of you have read the book which was an absolute masterpiece. Now I never expected a 1000 page book to ever get every detail put into a film because that is nearly impossible but this film handled the job very well and for that I commend it. They did miss some details, but what could you expect? The depth to Stephen King's madness is what sets him apart. The director Andy Muschietti still did a superb job. Always been a big fan of his since Mama. With remakes its inevitable to draw comparisons from every facet of the film, so I'll cut right to the most popular comparison of Pennywise. We all know Tim Curry knocked it out of the park back in 1990, so there was a lot of pressure on Bill Skarsgård to excel. I'll admit at first I was very apprehensive & he didn't blow me away with the first appearance in the storm drain scene. I wasn't quite sure what to think of him, whether it was the voice or the new look, but I honestly think I hadn't given him a fighting chance yet. He definitely grew on me as the movie wore on to the point that I would call his performance brilliant. He was truly terrifying and is what really makes this film amazing. One of my biggest gripes with the movie was perhaps there were maybe a few too many jump scares. It's frustrating to see a movie rely so much on pulling fear from an audience with jump scares when they have such a perfect antagonist. Really wasn't necessary at all for effect as it was extremely scary with Pennywise alone. But I did like the director's use of comedy with the kids to dispel tension from the audience. At one moment you're nearly shitting your pants, and the next a kid is making dirty mom jokes which makes you completely forget about the near self-defecation. It was a perfect combination to lower the audience's guard and set them up time & time again for more scares. This film was solid from top to bottom. Everything from the acting, to the cinematography & cgi was awesome. Really love Muschietti's filming styles. If you haven't gone out to see this movie yet, you need to. It was worth every damn penny to see it in the theaters. Cannot wait for Chapter 2!

A truly petrifying repeat... 8.5/10

Last edited:

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IT (2017)

Wow this movie didn't disappoint at all. I was very impressed by this film for how close it was to the book. I'm sure all of you have read the book which was an absolute masterpiece. Now I never expected a 1000 page book to ever get every detail put into a film because that is nearly impossible but this film handled the job very well and for that I commend it. They did miss some details, but what could you expect? The depth to Stephen King's madness is what sets him apart. The director Andy Muschietti still did a superb job. Always been a big fan of his since Mama. With remakes its inevitable to draw comparisons from every facet of the film, so I'll cut right to the most popular comparison of Pennywise. We all know Tim Curry knocked it out of the park back in 1990, so there was a lot of pressure on Bill Skarsgård to excel. I'll admit at first I was very apprehensive & he didn't blow me away with the first appearance in the storm drain scene. I wasn't quite sure what to think of him, whether it was the voice or the new look, but I honestly think I hadn't given him a fighting chance yet. He definitely grew on me as the movie wore on to the point that I would call his performance brilliant. He was truly terrifying and is what really makes this film amazing. One of my biggest gripes with the movie was perhaps there were maybe a few too many jump scares. It's frustrating to see a movie rely so much on pulling fear from an audience with jump scares when they have such a perfect antagonist. Really wasn't necessary at all for effect as it was extremely scary with Pennywise alone. But I did like the director's use of comedy with the kids to dispel tension from the audience. At one moment you're nearly shitting your pants, and the next a kid is making dirty mom jokes which makes you completely forget about the near self-defecation. It was a perfect combination to lower the audience's guard and set them up time & time again for more scares. This film was solid from top to bottom. Everything from the acting, to the cinematography & cgi was awesome. Really love Muschietti's filming styles. If you haven't gone out to see this movie yet, you need to. It was worth every damn penny to see it in the theaters. Cannot wait for Chapter 2!

They are doing it in chapters?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are doing it in chapters?
Yep. Just like they did in 1990 with the 2 separate episodes. But unlike the predecessor, these films are close to 40 minutes longer in length. The original episode 1 runtime was 1 hr 34 mins, this newest film for Chapter 1 was 2 hr 15 mins. Allows them to give more details that closer follow the book.

Reactions: DJ

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Split 8.5/10
Get Out 8/10
Alien: Covenant 8/10
The Void 8/10
A Cure For Wellness 7.5/10
47 Meters Down 7.5/10
Devil In The Dark 7/10
The Belko Experiment 7/10 (haven't reviewed this one yet)
Life 6.5/10

I've written reviews on pretty much all of these movies in this thread. Use the search feature if you're interested in reading them.
Go ahead & vault IT to the top of this list @MilkSpiller22

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WOW...now it's become a must-see for me.
Jump on Fandango right now & buy tickets for the next movie time at your closest theater... Quit wasting time Chef!!!

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Just like they did in 1990 with the 2 separate episodes. But unlike the predecessor, these films are close to 40 minutes longer in length. The original episode 1 runtime was 1 hr 34 mins, this newest film for Chapter 1 was 2 hr 15 mins. Allows them to give more details that closer follow the book.

A small rambling on why my take varied.

See, that's what I didn't get. I knew the film was longer, but I don't feel like I got those extra details or the overall sense of a plot that the first one had. I never got a sense of dread/despair for the town of derry. Pennywise did the same I'm coming straight for you, but after a I was hit with a tuning fork multiple times. Even at 2:15, I feel like there's a longer directors cut that will help smooth some things out for me. Loser being written on the cast, never shown, but later on crossed out to say Lover. Feel like there is another scene in there. Ben's easter egg hunt and lack of any other background on him other than providing Derry's background bothered me. Mike and Stans went by two quickly as well for me. Think they did a good job with Bev's and I thought the actor that played the father did a much better job in this one. I found Finn playing Richie to be too annoying. He reminded me of the kid in school that tried too hard to be funny. I get Richie is kind of like that, but I actually enjoyed Green in the first one. As to the CGI, I felt they over did it when it came to any scene with Pennywise. The two that stood out as SyFy level bad to me were when he came out of the projector screen and with the jack in the box at the end. The fact that it was at the end really bothered m and left the lasting impression. I'm sure I'm being overly critical and having watched the trailers probably ruined a lot for me, as I felt like I knew what was coming up next in most scenes. But that's why I left disappointed.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IT (2017)

Hmmmmmm........I was highly skeptical, particularly after The recent Dark Tower fiasco, so it is good to hear a positive review like this one.

One question: Does it gain much by seeing it in the theatre or is it perfectly ok to wait for the small screen?

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmmmmm........I was highly skeptical, particularly after The recent Dark Tower fiasco, so it is good to hear a positive review like this one.

One question: Does it gain much by seeing it in the theatre or is it perfectly ok to wait for the small screen?

Pretty good environment seeing it in a dark theater with lots of other people. The tension and levity are fun to experience with others. It's pretty beautifully shot too, so yeah I'd recommend a large screen environment.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty good environment seeing it in a dark theater with lots of other people. The tension and levity are fun to experience with others. It's pretty beautifully shot too, so yeah I'd recommend a large screen environment.

After watching the Seahawks' offensive line perform like warm Swiss cheese today, I don't know that I need to see anymore scary crap for awhile!

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched Be Afraid on Netflix, it was a rough one. Storyline didn't really make sense, the acting was atrocious, particularly the kid, he pacing was off the entire movie, it just never found it's footing. I couldn't tell what the movie was attempting to be. Hard pass from me.

I recently got Amazon Prime, any movies I should check out there?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some decent ones:

The Girl With All the Gifts
Unique zombie drama/thriller.

Open Grave
Another unique zombie drama/thriller. Not quite as well done as the one above.

Pet
Crazy psychological thriller.

From The Dark
Decent low budget creature feature.

Green Room
Survival thriller. Punk rock band vs. a clan of neo-nazis. Very entertaining, even if the characters are absurdly stupid.

Afflicted
Found-footage style survival/infection thriller. Sort of reminiscent of the Quarantine movies.

The Monster
Decent creature feature even though I felt like it fell short in the end. Small setting, linear plot, not too many surprises but well made.

The Midnight Meat Train
Pretty cool horror drama. Older movie so you have probably seen it. Also on Netflix IIRC.

Southbound
Pretty cool film. Not exactly a well-polished movie but it was an interesting movie.

The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Decent slasher style flick that focuses a little more on the drama.

Frankenstein's Army
Pretty hard to follow story & sub-par acting, but the creatures are badass & it was fun to watch.

The Burrowers
An old western style flick meets Tremors.

You can find reviews on almost all of these in this thread.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck it, I'm bored at work, some more prime options (I'll include classics I'm sure you watched as well)

Saw
Night of the Living Dead
An American Werewolf in London
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Maggie
Pumpkinhead
Dead Zone
Rosemary's Baby
The Dark Half
Shivers
Carnival of Souls
Apartment 1303
Absentia
Disturbing Behavior
The Innkeepers
Premature Burial
My Bloody Valentine
Chopping Mall
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Cottage Country
Dementia 13
Nightmares in Red, White, and Blue (Documentary)
Hell House LLC
The House at the End of Time
House on Haunted Hill (they also have a rifftrax version available, if you're into that)
Them (Ils)
Satan's Little Helper
Alice Sweet Alice
Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things
Prom Night
White Zombie
Terror Vision
Bad Taste
The House on Sorority Road
The Hearse
The Last Man on Earth
The Brain that Wouldn't Die (horrible b-movie, but I find it funny)
Netherbeast Incorporated
Haxan

Also, I find Prime horrible to figure out what's available, so I typically use this site: JustWatch

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched Be Afraid on Netflix, it was a rough one. Storyline didn't really make sense, the acting was atrocious, particularly the kid, he pacing was off the entire movie, it just never found it's footing. I couldn't tell what the movie was attempting to be. Hard pass from me.

As a fellow Mets believer, I shall let you in on the real deal.

See it.

Believe in it.

Love it.
All here who follow know that I speak the truth! :pound::pound::pound:

Zombeavers.jpg

P.S.: I'm not kiddin', @Nasty_Magician ; I love this movie! :nod::nod::nod:

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pinhead is the only character that really scared me. Sure there are parts in many movies that make you jump, but that guy scared the fuck out of me.