• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Homer is gone

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odds are, no one in the Reds farm will ever toss a MLB no hitter, much less 2...so, at least the Reds got Homers at far less salary, than he will ever earn since throwing them...especially at his age, where he logically could get better for the next 3-5 years. It's what his agent is selling, and I don't blame him.

It's relative, and timing is important. If Cueto had won back to back 19 games, instead of being lame last year, Homer might be less important. If I'm believing the Reds are contenders, is rather have Homer at $11M/yr. than Jeff Francis at $1M, or Cingrani at $450k. If the Reds are going to play .500 or less, you can always lose cheaper, and I trade him for cheap promises.

Every MLP is overpaid, but I'm reminded worth is what the market will bear. Broxton's 3 year, $21M isn't out if line or even elite for a closer. It is for a setup man. His contract and Walt's statements about Chapman starting weren't coincidence, they were clearly part if the same plan, now apparently changed, without a reduction in pay to Broxton...and unfortunate downstream impact of paying for something you refuse to use. In poker terms, already spent too much to fold, but not having the cards to win the pot. I have little doubt if healthy, Jon Broxton could have saved 35-40 games, blown less than 6, and been every bit as good as 90% of $7M closers...especially with a healthy 5 man rotation of Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Chapman and any old chump in the last spot. If it didnt work, the Reds have 2-3 legit 2nd choices, including Chapman himself, but they have NO other lefty SP with 104 mph and a .160 BAA. It's not rocket science, it's common sense, which apparently is becoming less common.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wonderin' here in the 18-inch snowdrifts ... waddif ... the Reds hook up again with Arroyo, which makes Bailey trade-able.

Who's Bailey gonna get in trade who the Redlegs can use? A left fielder? A center fielder? Three prospects?

Arroyo has been pretty quiet.

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I look at the pitching as it stands today, I would hate to lose Homer. But as the world turns, he's not going to stay in Cincy.

In 2010, if you'd told me the Reds were going to lose Aaron Harang, I'd have had the same feeling about it.

If the pitcher moves on, the team moves on. Homer isn't a franchise, he's a pitcher.
So much for this comment and thread. Wrong! Homer here to stay.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So much for this comment and thread. Wrong! Homer here to stay.

I suppose I could find your Ryan Ludwick love-fest thread from last year, but I won't.

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whats wrong with Ryan ludwick? He had a unfortunate injury on Opening Day last year, the injury he had some people never are the same. Without the injury who knows in GABP he could have had a great year. But to hate on a guy who got injured at the beginning of the year,and was out basically the entire year is just not fair.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whats wrong with Ryan ludwick? He had a unfortunate injury on Opening Day last year, the injury he had some people never are the same. Without the injury who knows in GABP he could have had a great year. But to hate on a guy who got injured at the beginning of the year,and was out basically the entire year is just not fair.

what the hell are you talking about?

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow! Do you not remember Opening Day last year? When he tore his shoulder sliding into 3rd head first. I guess there is some people that watch the games, and know what there talking about, and some that dont.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we will find out what Ludwick is about this season. I hope he wins the MVP, but I would be satisfied with a productive season from him.

As far as Bailey, Who would have dreamed The Reds would have gave him or any one on their staff, that kind of contract. I hope he earns it.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me ask this a different way.

What the FUCK are you blabbering about here on the board?
What does this have to do with your insane attack on my comment about Homer Bailey?
Why didn't you just leave the Bailey thread to die on its own? You brought up my comment about Bailey as a deliberate attempt to make it look bad.
Do I have to bring up your ass kissing comments about Ludwick that you wrote last September about how he was going to lead the Reds to the World Series?
Honestly, Ryan, don't bring a knife to a gunfight. You look stupid. And I really would prefer not to have my associates look stupid. We have enough trolls as it is.

What the FUCK does this have to do with "hating on people," which is a pretty high-schoolish comment in and of itself. Get a grip and grow up, all right? Stop looking like a pompous Cardinals fan.

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been a Reds fan my whole life. I dont care what u think. I have never said Ludwick would lead the Reds to a Word Series. I have said he is a good player and can even be even better in GABP. Dont know why you're attacking me. im on here to talk Reds baseball, not argue with you.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ive also bern critical of Ludwick, but its not all his fault. I liked Lidwick when he cost $3Mil and suprized everyone when he hit 27 HR in 3 months, after hitting about the same number the previous 2 years combined. I liked him when he was a smiling contributor playing above his salary.

I don't like Ludwick making $9Mil, after his 5th shoulder surgery. I don't like him making .270/25HR money hitting .240/2 and bitching that he couldn't get motivated because the fans weren't rocking while the Reds were scoring 2 runs in 3 games down the stretch. I like my overpaid platoon players a little more humble, I guess.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been a Reds fan my whole life. I dont care what u think. I have never said Ludwick would lead the Reds to a Word Series. I have said he is a good player and can even be even better in GABP. Dont know why you're attacking me. im on here to talk Reds baseball, not argue with you.

You you decided to highlight my Homer Bailey quote because you don't want to make a big deal out of it, right?

I am attacking you because you are proving you are a jerk.
To be honest, I don't suffer jerks very well.
You couldn't wait to point out that the Bailey thread was wrong. Just couldn't WAIT to make a big deal of it. I suggested your "prediction" last fall that Ludwick would come back strong was wrong (and I do intend to look it up) ... so you went into some boneheaded comment about "hating on people."
What the fuck? If you can't stay inside the discussion, get out of it.
You bitched because the board was dead and when somebody pointed it out, you said you didn't have Internet. What the fuck was that about? You wanted people to leave this board. You might get your wish.

Last edited by a moderator:

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wrong too. I though Homer was a soon to be free agent Ranger. Fans are like weathermen...just because we're wrong doesnt stop us from making another guess.

redsfan03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan Ludwick's a hack. Plain and simple. 2 and a half good years out of 11 does not equal $9 million, but don't tell Walt that. I hope Reds fans at GABP don't forget what he said last season and continue to boo his sorry ass until he puts up or shuts up.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm kind of that kind of vindictive too. I feel like fans that set a record attendance number shouldn't be admonished for lack of enthusiasm by an overpaid player not hitting his weight. It was a brainfart on his part id say... Possibly brought on by those same bored fans that cheered for his replacement, Billy Hamilton, but occasionally booed his weak effort. Just saying.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't intend to address this issue again.
We all make predictions. When we are right, nobody cares.
So let's just ... realize that.

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol to be honest, you pissed me off by bringing the "This forum and SOTG" back up a number of times on different threads. But ill be the first one to say I have been wrong, and ill be wrong again. I really enjoy talking to each and one of you guys and would like to keep doing so. That forum I made was not intended to be a bad thing, just wanted to hear your guys opinions. But like I said, Im here to talk Reds baseball.

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the ludwick contract is eye popping for sure. if you factor in the buyout, ludwick will be the highest paid red in 2014. nevertheless, there are a lot of moving parts, which hit'n'run has explained the intricacies of, in previous posts, with accurate detail. i read one of his posts and considered asking him to be my accountant. apparently hit'n'run is a season ticket holder who stays abreast of the finances. AIG could have used you in 2008 sir. anyway, there is more money coming with a tv deal, all-star game, etc. so, as fans, we have to turn the page. and 1507 is right about ludwick's and phillip's comments last year. my guess is that walt was less than honest with phillips about the nature of reds finances. but, there is no doubt that brandon should have kept those details to himself, because the translation gets lost from a multi-millionaire to a ticket buying fan busting his hump to make 100k a year. but, if i throw away all the 'hindsight is 20/20' speculative stuff from the above, i am still left with one burning question. what is the one thing that has been identified as the reds biggest weakness for over a decade now, and why hasn't walt been able to fill that need in 5+ years as the reds gm?

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, I'm not really sure what that ONE biggest weakness over the last decade would be- that hasn't been addressed. Might be worthy of opinions here under it's own topic ?

If you go back 10 years, the pitching and defense (and attendence) stunk, and that's been addressed. Maybe it's a position ? SS had a long drought, but it wasn't 10 years ago they did have an All-Star ( 1) there-Felipe Lopez-not exactly a bright spot, but...Cozart is a decent fielder. We haven't exactly had great managers, but there has been a change, and even I thought Dusty was an improvement over some previous losers. I'd say not being in a World Series since '90 qualifies, but don't know how it could be addressed exactly.

They always need one more hitter...even when they sign one.

I'm drawing a blank, Chico. Please enlighten us ?

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a legitimate consistent right handed power bat.