• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Holy Shit Does John Mayer Suck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus H Christ you fuckers....I start a thread about that derpy hack butchering Jerry's work and someone posts the shit here?

angry-hippie.jpg

Google "Mississippi Halfstep" by the Grateful Dead and toss "Garcia" into that search. The most pedestrian version by Jerry will end any discussion of merit over this Dead & Company Elvis' Coat tour bullshit.

27656665730_69acb3b5a0_o.jpg

Once again, different people have different opinions.

For example, I know one person who went to Shoreline who hated it, and I mean hated it, the first night.
The second night he was a bit happier, although I don't know that he'll go to another one.
I sat next to an old school deadhead (as in going back to the Pigpen years) who, while she wasn't on board with some of it, really liked some of it, too.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sat next to an old school deadhead (as in going back to the Pigpen years)
Now, if McKernin (sp) would have lived, that might have changed some people's minds about the band (or, they may not have even become what they did). Hard to guess.

But I liked it better when he sang. Jerry's voice was terrible and Bob Weir is always flat.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, other than Truckin and Casey Jones, not really a fan. Never understood the hype.
Their studio recordings are a weak and pale shadow of their live performances. I've never understood why radio stations don't play their live stuff in their rotations.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn’t watch them live in concert even if the tickets and acid were both free. Can barely even watch a solid minute of video from them. If they sound like crap in video.... they’re gonna sound like crap in concert. No amount of drugs can change that. Drugs and earplugs, maybe.

Because it’s my opinion. Just like my opinion of you is a homo. I’m sure one of the other instruments you play is the “skin flute”. So....get back to it. Got to earn that money for the next Dead Head concert.

Wow, what an asshole.

I have tried and tried and tried to like the Dead just can't do it, they mostly bore me, never understood what people saw in them. Other than wanting to be part of some grand counter culture.

Fair enough.

Now, if McKernin (sp) would have lived, that might have changed some people's minds about the band (or, they may not have even become what they did). Hard to guess.

But I liked it better when he sang. Jerry's voice was terrible and Bob Weir is always flat.

Jerry's voice was terrible and Bob Weir is always flat

does-not-compute-gif-3.gif

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their studio recordings are a weak and pale shadow of their live performances. I've never understood why radio stations don't play their live stuff in their rotations.
They're just too long. Radio likes 3-minute songs so they can pack in the commercials

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're just too long. Radio likes 3-minute songs so they can pack in the commercials
Meh, some are longer. You could go with Me and My Uncle, Jack Straw, One More Saturday Night, Mama Tried, You Win Again, to name a few.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, some are longer. You could go with Me and My Uncle, Jack Straw, One More Saturday Night, Mama Tried, You Win Again, to name a few.
Bout the only three I ever hear are Truckin', Casey Jones, and Touch of Gray

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bout the only three I ever hear are Truckin', Casey Jones, and Touch of Gray
And the studio versions you hear are watered down, thin and sterile. Their live stuff is just orders of magnitude better.

There is great truth in "There Is Nothing Like A Grateful Dead Concert".

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wouldn't go so far as to say Jerry's voice was terrible, but it definitely wasn't the strongest. I will say in certain songs, what he lacked in terms of a technically good voice he made up for in ... soul, feeling, whatever you wanna call it. For example, with Stella Blue, give me Jerry's voice any day over a technically better voice. Bobby's voice has never been the strongest, either, but I wouldn't say he's always flat, sometimes, though, yeah, he is. Phil's, well, for all the "Let Phil Sing," and I was definitely a "let Phil sing" person, I can see why they didn't let him very often. lol

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't go so far as to say Jerry's voice was terrible, but it definitely wasn't the strongest. I will say in certain songs, what he lacked in terms of a technically good voice he made up for in ... soul, feeling, whatever you wanna call it. For example, with Stella Blue, give me Jerry's voice any day over a technically better voice. Bobby's voice has never been the strongest, either, but I wouldn't say he's always flat, sometimes, though, yeah, he is. Phil's, well, for all the "Let Phil Sing," and I was definitely a "let Phil sing" person, I can see why they didn't let him very often. lol

Jerry had the perfect voice, spirit and stage presence to do the songs written by Robert Hunter...and the same goes for Bobby with John Barlow's tunes.

( ~);-}

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you have never seen the Dead on one of their good nights while you were stoned on acid, you are not qualified to enter into this discussion.

A drop of liquid, MSG in NY in front of John Mayer? See, that's what makes me shudder.

Spot on observation btw. I wouldn't say that they have nothing to say but I will say that they're not even aware of what they're not aware of. They attribute being dismissed as deadhead snobbery and it's not that so much as you simply have to experience that space to understand it.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have tried and tried and tried to like the Dead just can't do it, they mostly bore me, never understood what people saw in them. Other than wanting to be part of some grand counter culture.

And there's no law that says you have to! :)

FYI Some of favorite Dead songs are ... Uncle Johns Band. He's Gone, Ripple, Me and My Uncle, Jack Straw, Cassidy, Dark Star, Bertha

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those and I do like Touch of Grey but that is it
You have to see them live, if only on YouTube.

Everyone has their favorites, but for me, this is the best live YouTube of the Garcia Dead. If nothing else, skip to about the 55 minute mark and listen to Deal, and do it through some decent quality headphones:

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to see them live, if only on YouTube.

Everyone has their favorites, but for me, this is the best live YouTube of the Garcia Dead. If nothing else, skip to about the 55 minute mark and listen to Deal, and do it through some decent quality headphones:

Well I had the opportunity several times the interest was never there for me. Again to me that are pretty boring, less a few,very few songs.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That the GD isn't for you and doesn't do it for you, fine, that's music. There are any number of bands that I don't care for but they don't suck. To say that the Grateful Dead was anything but an incredible live band is just retarded.

For realz. I totally get that GD is not for everyone, but to say that they didn't have amazing live shows would be retarded. It'd be like saying that Jimi Hendrix is a one-trick pony.

Comments like these do nothing but betray the absolute ignorance of their authors.

Last edited:

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm younger than some of you Deadheads so I never got to see The Dead with Jerry. And I understand why Mayer can turn some people off. That being said, I think Mayer is an extremely talented guitarist at the least. So I checked Dead and Company out and have since found myself listening to a lot of Dead and Company which then naturally mixes in original Grateful Dead songs on Pandora or just on my own music library.

Two songs in particular that I have really enjoyed Mayer's renditions of are Brown Eyed Women and Mississippi Uptown Toodeloo. There is one concert where Mayer absolutely kills it on guitar near the end of Mississippi Half Step.

My two cents. But to each their own.

I'm a pretty big Dead fan. Saw them with Jerry probably a dozen or so times. The experiences were amazing and I would LOVE an opportunity to go to another show with Garcia at the helm. That said, often the musicianship at their live shows was a bit sloppy. Certainly there are exceptions.

Like him as a solo artist or not, John Mayer is an incredible guitarist, and of the very limited amount of Dead & Company that I've heard, he's done a pretty good job of stepping into that position.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on comments like " They were a great live band" and " you had to see them live " basically substantiates my thoughts that their music is mostly boring. So basically they were KISS before KISS?