• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hokie hoops vs UNC

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game tonight (1/19) at 9pm on ESPN.

Yeah, I'm expecting a bloodbath. We didn't stand much of a chance going into the season to win this game, but even more so now. What are the chances UNC loses after getting totally clowned by FSU? You know Roy has been riding those kids hard in practice and is ready to turn the dogs loose.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I predict another loss but within 10 or so points. You know how we love to play up or down to our competition.

HokieChamp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This might be one of the worst basketball seasons for the men's team in recent years. They've got to turn things around, and a win against UNC might jumpstart the climb back up.

That said, I think UNC will expose our flaws (if we don't do that ourselves).

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
‎"We need CEO's: Chief Energy Givers" -Coach Greenberg at his Chalk Talk talking about getting people to come to the game. Everyone lol'd pretty hard at that one.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may be in the minority but I don't think Seth should go anywhere. Even as bad as this season is. Think how young this squad is. Not only that, but frankly theres not much talent apart from Brown, Green, Eddie and DFS. The rest are either too young or inexperienced, or just not ACC caliber players.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'll be watching with low expectations. Carolina has going to try to destroy us after their failure at Florida State. IMO our only hope is having an uncharacteristically amazing shooting night.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we even clear whether or not Green will be back? Last I had heard, he was questionable

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may be in the minority but I don't think Seth should go anywhere. Even as bad as this season is. Think how young this squad is. Not only that, but frankly theres not much talent apart from Brown, Green, Eddie and DFS. The rest are either too young or inexperienced, or just not ACC caliber players.

I'm with you. The VT basketball job, if it has any appeal at all, is due now in part to the success of Seth. You can act like joining the ACC was the end-all-be-all, but we came from a pretty stout conference and it didn't do us much good to finish last every year.

And we are seriously lacking an ACC-capable big man. I wouldn't even say that Jeff Allen was... he was a conditional ACC-capable big man. With less than 2 fouls in the 1st half - yes... so never last season. We could really use a big big guy down low to compliment a decent back-court.

jermadams

HOKIES!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ill be at the game tonight, cheering for the hokies like always....but I have to admit I did take UNC -6.5, really dont understand this line

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ill be at the game tonight, cheering for the hokies like always....but I have to admit I did take UNC -6.5, really dont understand this line

Transitive powers of basketball I guess?

UNC loses to FSU by > 30
We lose to FSU by < 5

Maybe that averages out somehow?

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we even clear whether or not Green will be back? Last I had heard, he was questionable
Greenberg said that Green practiced at full speed and is ready to go.

I've lowered my expectations for this game quite a bit since our 0-3 start in the ACC, but I will be there cheering the team on.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'm with you. The VT basketball job, if it has any appeal at all, is due now in part to the success of Seth. You can act like joining the ACC was the end-all-be-all, but we came from a pretty stout conference and it didn't do us much good to finish last every year.

And we are seriously lacking an ACC-capable big man. I wouldn't even say that Jeff Allen was... he was a conditional ACC-capable big man. With less than 2 fouls in the 1st half - yes... so never last season. We could really use a big big guy down low to compliment a decent back-court.

Just my opinion but i'd say that VT basketball has some appeal. We are not the known name like Duke, UNC, Maryland, etc, but I would think (if need be) that we would be attractive to some young coaches. I think the practice facility and locker rooms should prove that VT is serious about basketball and Seth has shown that VT is a place where you can get decent recruits. With all that said im not ready to fire Greenberg, He has 2 new assistants and a very young team. Give him a little more time and see what he can do and if in 2-3 years we havnt made the tourny it may be time for a change.

We've had a string of pretty good guards and wing players but we always lack a true center. You always hear that athletic 7' guys dont grow on trees but with the talent this team has for the foreseeable future, i wish we would dedicate the time to find one.

Last edited by a moderator:

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just can't agree with you guys on all this. He has been the coach for NINE years and we have made the tourney ONCE. I understand we're not Duke or UNC, but this is the ACC and we're not Iowa St. either.

im not ready to fire Greenberg, He has 2 new assistants and a very young team. Give him a little more time and see what he can do and if in 2-3 years we havnt made the tourny it may be time for a change.

How many times are we going to say this? I know I have been just as guilty as the next guy, but lets be real. Did we actually see any improvement with the 'young group of good talent' during the Delaney, Allen, and Bell class? I would hardly say so.

And please don't get me started with the 'we haven't had an ACC caliber big man' argument. We've played in the ACC in bball for what? 7 years now? Ample time to recruit one. Seth recruits 6'7" athletic wing players - not big men. As bad as it was to have Jeff playing 5, that is about as good as we're going to do with Seth running the show. Athletic but undersized like Headbutting Jeff Allen, or moderate size but questionable walking skills like 47-Chromosome Victor Davila

alright I'm done ranting. I hope we don't lose by 25.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just can't agree with you guys on all this. He has been the coach for NINE years and we have made the tourney ONCE. I understand we're not Duke or UNC, but this is the ACC and we're not Iowa St. either.

How many times are we going to say this? I know I have been just as guilty as the next guy, but lets be real. Did we actually see any improvement with the 'young group of good talent' during the Delaney, Allen, and Bell class? I would hardly say so.

And please don't get me started with the 'we haven't had an ACC caliber big man' argument. We've played in the ACC in bball for what? 7 years now? Ample time to recruit one. Seth recruits 6'7" athletic wing players - not big men. As bad as it was to have Jeff playing 5, that is about as good as we're going to do with Seth running the show. Athletic but undersized like Headbutting Jeff Allen, or moderate size but questionable walking skills like 47-Chromosome Victor Davila

alright I'm done ranting. I hope we don't lose by 25.

QFT

Just to add on, I believe Davila is capable. As I've said before, you've just got to put him in spots to succeed. Is he clunky? Yes. But in the post, he fairly effective. He's way better than Diakite was (great dude in person btw) He's really no worse off than a lot of the "bigs" in the ACC. Outside of UNC, no one really has a stud center. Even Duke with the Plumlees struggle inside at time. While both are very athletic, their post up game lacks at times and they often disappear.

Our problem isn't players. It's offensive structure. We look no different with all these youngsters than we did the last 2 years with Delaney and CO.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think we always end up overrating olur player's talent in both basketball and football. If players are really talented, they will make it to the NBA. Our best playersd arte fringe NBA players. Delaney was an awesome player buit at the end he is plasying in France. Same with Washington. Some like Zzodewell?? may make it but he could be cut from thje NBA at any moment.

Remember Georgia Tech, yeah they have had several lottery picks in the NBA durinf Greenberg yet have a shit record. There has been a lot less done with a lot more thanw ewhatr wr have playerwise in Greenberhg tensure.

Also, this is in football, we always say our receivers rock.Yet boykin and coale are FA or 6-7th draft material. Its this klind of shit, Virginia Tec

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DFS should not be allowed to shoot 3s...

m477hokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hudson is the only senior I've seen that is more inconsistent than a freshman. At least he is hot tonight.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do we let them get the only possible shot they could get off before the half, off... Poor poor coaching

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF?!?!? Is it Hudson coming off the bench, a packed Cassel, or just the fact that we always seem to play Carolina tough? This is what frustrates me so much about this team and Seth's teams in general.