• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thursday Hokie Hoops vs. Duke

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We seem unable to put together two good halves.... We looked phenomenal in the first half but let them back in it by being lazy with the ball and settling for bad shots.

On the upside, so happy that Doe Doe really played well. That should do wonders for his confidence. And Rankin has put together two solid games in a row

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again a tale of 2 halves. why cant we put together a complete game/put away a team we were beating sizeably for almost the entire game?

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For my mental health, I am blocking out the last two minutes of that game from my mind. I am just going to assume we won by 9.

-I am glad Finney Smith had a good game. The olley oop tip in from Rankin was insane.
-I am glad that Rankin had another good game. He seemed to have trouble getting through screens on the defensive side though. Hopefully an off season in an ACC weight room will fix that.
-We need to rebound better. 19 offensive rebounds is unacceptable I know they have a 7-2 center but you have to block out and push him out of the point.
-We didn't guard any of Clemson's big men well. Our big men need to step it up on D.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not like we played bad the entire second half, just the last 2-4 minutes of it.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not like we played bad the entire second half, just the last 2-4 minutes of it.

that is true, however we scored 25 points in the 2nd half compared to 42 in the first. we fell apart in the last part of the game and it almost cost us. we looked great in the 1st half, and average to bad in the 2nd half as the half progressed. we lack consistency and a killer instinct. rankin really has impresssed me though and i really like him starting.

m477hokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think next year, we will be able to see a full game played like today's first half. A lot of it is lack of experience in my opinion. I think we are tournament bound next season.

hokiecat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The second half was an embarassment. It was typical VT Chokie crap that we've seen time and time again under Greenberg.

The 2nd half offense consisted of passing the ball around until the shot clock is nearly expired then jacking up a 3. When Clemson went to the press, it seemed like nobody on VT wanted the ball in their hands. Nobody showed a killer instinct.

The final 2 minutes were full of stupid plays. Hudson driving down the lane with 25 on the shot clock and then throwing a pass to nobody. Of all the guys to inbound the ball to when Clemson was in a sure-foul situation, the Hokies get it to Davila.

I was having flashbacks to years ago when the Hokies were up soemthing like 6 with a minute to go and some lunatic (Vasallo or Delaney I think) decides to jack up a 3 with 30 seconds left on the clock to "put a dagger through the heart" of the other team. Of course, VT ended up losing that one.

hokiecat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think next year, we will be able to see a full game played like today's first half. A lot of it is lack of experience in my opinion. I think we are tournament bound next season.

Why would this team be tournament bound? Have they shown any improvement over the year? At 11-3, I was excited. DFS was 0 for ACC play until today. None of the freshmen have shown an interest or ability in taking over games late. The Hokies are getting outrebounded in most games (losing the + rebounding margin they had). And the offense tends to bog down to shooting 3's late in a possession.

I still like this recruiting class but somebody has to step up and take the load off of Green. And, to me, they still look like the same ol' that ends up NIT bound.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st half we played the best we've played in 2 months. The 2nd half we played not to lose and we damn near blew it. I've seen it before with Greenberg's teams (not just this group). You get away from what's working and just look to hold on. Those final 5 minutes or so were absolutely brutal. If someone told me I could win a million dollars if I picked us to lose as it was happening, I gladly would have taken the bet. We got lucky Clemson missed shots. At least the film sessions should be easy. Pop in tape of first half -> Do this. Pop in tape of 2nd half -> Don't do this

And thank God DFS finally broke the streak! Hit some shots up close and a couple of 3s. Hopefully he can carry it over now for the rest of the season. With Hudson being so utterly inconsistent (and lacks aggressiveness at times), we need someone like DFS to be a third scorer behind Green and Eddie.

Speaking of Eddie, if there's one bright spot in these last 2 months, it's him. He's been aggressive at getting his shot and fighting for rebounds.

Last edited by a moderator:

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eddie has a pretty shot and is usually pretty money. D needs work though.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eddie has a pretty shot and is usually pretty money. D needs work though.
True story. During the 19-0 run in the Duke game, he got blown by twice because he was out of position and gave up a 3. He could have gave up more in that span.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TheRecruitScoop Alex Kline
Virginia Tech offered Isaiah Cousins - a 2012 SG from Mount Vernon (NY) - after Hokies coach Seth Greenberg saw him, per his coach.

Isaiah Cousins - Yahoo! Sports

uhhhhh.....