• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hobs took Newton

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So what are your thought process on this pick? Great, good, not sure, or terrible?

I kinda understand his logic here, and I would have really liked to have seen us get DJ back, but that does make NT a pretty important piece missing. I don't really see Newton as a NT at his size, but he is said to have graded out at the combine as the #1 DT and is really good at run defense and a good pass rusher as well. I read his combine notes, and his profile sounds a lot like Aaron Donald.

We still need a RT because we can't keep signing TE and RT to one year deals forever? Or can we? I don't know.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eifert (I F'n hurt) ruined it for all future tight ends of the Bengals.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So what are your thought process on this pick? Great, good, not sure, or terrible?

I kinda understand his logic here, and I would have really liked to have seen us get DJ back, but that does make NT a pretty important piece missing. I don't really see Newton as a NT at his size, but he is said to have graded out at the combine as the #1 DT and is really good at run defense and a good pass rusher as well. I read his combine notes, and his profile sounds a lot like Aaron Donald.

We still need a RT because we can't keep signing TE and RT to one year deals forever? Or can we? I don't know.
I would be excited about Newton. I think Hobs point that the DT position is one that isn't readily available in FA is probably correct...... And I also agree that it's pretty rare to find at Geno Atkins type guy - Like QBs, you probably want to get the franchise guys in the first round.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing I'll be tracking is how we use our first 4 picks. We have 4 picks in the first 100 of the draft. If we're serious about the trenches, I think 3 of them need to be offensive and defensive linemen - And frankly, I wouldn't mind all four of them being on the line.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd actually think I'd prefer Murphy at that point. Murphy played more NT than Sweat did at UT - believe it or not.

But - I still think you go RT here. At least at the DL you have a few guys under contract for 2 years, and while none of them are NT - you can rotate them through well enough.

However, at OL - you have no RT or backup LT at the moment. I say no backup LT because if Orlando goes down, and you slide TB over to LT - you have no RT...so...you still have no depth at RT/LT without another OT pick. Where you still have depth on the DL.

Roll the dice on RT in round 1 - and hope either Sweat falls to you in round 2, or you go for one of the other 2 options early in round 3 knowing you have another pick later that round.

WR is, still, at this point a luxury - I know everyone targets that because Higgins will be gone next year, but of all the positions - a really good WR is nearly plug-and-play at this point (RB maybe in that mix as well). You can either wait until later in the draft and/or next year to figure out Higgins.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd actually think I'd prefer Murphy at that point. Murphy played more NT than Sweat did at UT - believe it or not.

But - I still think you go RT here. At least at the DL you have a few guys under contract for 2 years, and while none of them are NT - you can rotate them through well enough.

However, at OL - you have no RT or backup LT at the moment. I say no backup LT because if Orlando goes down, and you slide TB over to LT - you have no RT...so...you still have no depth at RT/LT without another OT pick. Where you still have depth on the DL.

Roll the dice on RT in round 1 - and hope either Sweat falls to you in round 2, or you go for one of the other 2 options early in round 3 knowing you have another pick later that round.

WR is, still, at this point a luxury - I know everyone targets that because Higgins will be gone next year, but of all the positions - a really good WR is nearly plug-and-play at this point (RB maybe in that mix as well). You can either wait until later in the draft and/or next year to figure out Higgins.
I saw a report that says the Bengals are now listening to offers for Higgins.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw a report that says the Bengals are now listening to offers for Higgins.
I don't think that's much different than in the past...they allowed Williams to look. I'd assume the same was true for Bates.

The only thing that has changed is that last year was a hardline "NO" because they still had the tag this year.

You'd be silly not to listen. If someone is going to overpay - you take a look at what you think you can do with the offer and make a move (or not).

But - this statement in general really doesn't change the equation much. Unless someone is going to offer them a 1st round pick - or a package of 2nd/3rd rounders here and next year - I don't think the Bengals are going to make a move. Higgins will play out this year under the tag and hit F/A in '25 and the Bengals will look to fill his spot next year in the draft or via F/A with a lower tier guy.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that's much different than in the past...they allowed Williams to look. I'd assume the same was true for Bates.

The only thing that has changed is that last year was a hardline "NO" because they still had the tag this year.

You'd be silly not to listen. If someone is going to overpay - you take a look at what you think you can do with the offer and make a move (or not).

But - this statement in general really doesn't change the equation much. Unless someone is going to offer them a 1st round pick - or a package of 2nd/3rd rounders here and next year - I don't think the Bengals are going to make a move. Higgins will play out this year under the tag and hit F/A in '25 and the Bengals will look to fill his spot next year in the draft or via F/A with a lower tier guy.
I think this is it. They ultimately received a 3rd rounder for Bates. Having Bates for 2022 and then getting a 3rd rounder for him after he left on the tag is significantly better than the Chiefs did for Sneed. And it would be a significantly better deal for the Bengals. It provides a huge piece for their title run this year, allows 1 more year of development for the two second year receivers, and could still pay off in a comp pick in two seasons. So, unless someone wants to pony up a first rounder, I just don't see it happening. And I'm not sure why anyone would want to give up a first rounder (or a 2nd and 3rd) when there are many good receivers in the draft.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW - I'm sure the report of the "Bengals being willing to listen" was leaked by someone in Tee's camp. Never hurts to get some action going on your client even if the chances are remote. The Bengals are under no financial constraints to move him - Not sure they really need to change their messaging or create a market for him.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW - I'm sure the report of the "Bengals being willing to listen" was leaked by someone in Tee's camp. Never hurts to get some action going on your client even if the chances are remote. The Bengals are under no financial constraints to move him - Not sure they really need to change their messaging or create a market for him.
Yeah, unfortunately - a 2nd rounder isn't really worth Tee this year for the Bengals.

And a team with a 1st round pick isn't likely going to trade it for a WR when they could draft one and pay them significantly less over the next 5 years.

BurrowDeep2Chase

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Newton is not the run stopper we need. I would pass on him. He is more the a pass rusher. We already have Rankins and BJ for that role.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Newton is not the run stopper we need. I would pass on him. He is more the a pass rusher. We already have Rankins and BJ for that role.
Rankins and Hill are both 3-techs as well.

The Bengals currently do not have a true NT on the roster. Sweat would be the highest rated true NT in the draft. However, Murphy is intriguing because he played more NT than Sweat did despite being more of a 3-tech. Could he slide over with a year of beefing up? Maybe...not sure.

Or - is the defense in general moving to a more quicker DT approach that doesn't really utilize a true NT anymore...we'll find out - but the answer likely won't come until after the draft. Do the Bengals actually take a true NT with one of their picks and/or do they go out into that second wave of F/A after the draft and find a more suitable NT in the veteran market.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is it. They ultimately received a 3rd rounder for Bates. Having Bates for 2022 and then getting a 3rd rounder for him after he left on the tag is significantly better than the Chiefs did for Sneed. And it would be a significantly better deal for the Bengals. It provides a huge piece for their title run this year, allows 1 more year of development for the two second year receivers, and could still pay off in a comp pick in two seasons. So, unless someone wants to pony up a first rounder, I just don't see it happening. And I'm not sure why anyone would want to give up a first rounder (or a 2nd and 3rd) when there are many good receivers in the draft.
The second you sign a decent FA you lose that comp pick anyways, so you are getting no compensation if you do that.

We lost Bates 3rd round pick because of Orlando Brown.

Granted, Tee to us is worth more than a 2nd round pick, because you can get Marvin Harrison Jr. and not know if he is going to be as good as Tee is. So it is a crap shoot on talent and we are playing for a SB this year. You just lose value in the future by letting him straight up walk.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The second you sign a decent FA you lose that comp pick anyways, so you are getting no compensation if you do that.

We lost Bates 3rd round pick because of Orlando Brown.

Granted, Tee to us is worth more than a 2nd round pick, because you can get Marvin Harrison Jr. and not know if he is going to be as good as Tee is. So it is a crap shoot on talent and we are playing for a SB this year. You just lose value in the future by letting him straight up walk.
This isn't true. The formula is much more complex. Take last year for example.... We signed Orlando Brown Jr - That didn't stop us from cashing in on Bates.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't true. The formula is much more complex. Take last year for example.... We signed Orlando Brown Jr - That didn't stop us from cashing in on Bates.
Right - the NFL formula is so odd they got it wrong this year...and awarded the Bengals a 3rd...and that was with losing Bates and signing Brown.

Clearly there is more to it than just a 1-1 comp.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right - the NFL formula is so odd they got it wrong this year...and awarded the Bengals a 3rd...and that was with losing Bates and signing Brown.

Clearly there is more to it than just a 1-1 comp.
This wasn't because of Bates and Brown for the 3rd this year. Or was it? I thought it was same year. If so, cool.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This wasn't because of Bates and Brown for the 3rd this year. Or was it? I thought it was same year. If so, cool.
The comp pick always follows the year in which you lose the player.

So, for Bates, he left in 2023. Bengals get a comp pick in 2024.

It has to do with how they playing time, salary, post-season honors, etc....

So, because Brown took a sweetheart deal to come here, and didn't earn any post-season awards - though his signing was huge - Bates clearly overshadowed that move because Bates got paid, and I believe had some post-season awards, etc....