• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Heyman: "Strong Chance" Giants Bring Back Lincecum

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Inside Baseball: What's the deal on Harvey, Cespedes Mets futures? - CBSSports.com

"The Giants and Tim Lincecum had one very preliminary talk about the idea they'd like to continue their relationship. And the belief is, there's a strong chance the sides eventually work it out. There's a San Francisco Chronicle report they might bring him back on a minor-league deal, but barring some unexpected health setback following his hip surgery, it seems probable Lincecum could get an MLB deal. While Lincecum got a $35-million, two-year deal off an off 2013 season, and he won't get anything like that, a guaranteed deal with a lower base and lots of incentives seems much more likely."

I like the Giants a lot and they have much smarter people than I will ever be, but....

Seriously, when will this organization finally let go. Are they that desperate for the jersey sales/fan revenue from Lincecum memorabilia or do they keep believing he can return to being a reliable starter. Please Giants, can we just let go of this at some point.

Give his 25-man roster spot to Blackburn next year.

I know it won't be another ridiculous overpaid contract, but PLEASE can this team move on

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you GPC. Lincecum did a lot for this franchise but, in baseball, past performance should not be a reason to hold on, especially when the more recent past performance hasn't been that special.

I could see bringing him back if the team looked like 2007 but not this year. The rotation doesn't need another 5th starter. If he comes back as a starter, does that mean the rotation could look like - Bumgarner, Leake, Cain, Heston, Peavy/Lincecum? The bullpen should already be receiving one failed, surgically repaired starter (Peavy). Its time for Lincecum to move on.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Up until 16jun he had an era of 3.31, and 9 out of 13 starts he allowed 3 runs or less. I would assume his hip started altering his delivery after that date, and maybe even a few starts before. I think he was just figuring out how to really pitch w/o a blazing fast ball. 8 years after having the same surgery that he just had I am still doing fine. I'll be rooting for him next year and hope he's a starter for the Gs.

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about this. As a fan, I love me some Timmy and always will. I supported the $35MM extension decision and understood that a lot of the reasons they gave it to him were unrelated to his play on the field. But, they gave him a chance to show he could be the Timmy of old and he just couldn't do it. He had flashes of great stuff, but he can't pitch against the Padres every outing. I think it's time to thank him and move on.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt it'll be anything more than the major league minimum with lots of incentives. He'll start the season in Sacto.

Really, a no-lose move.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Up until 16jun he had an era of 3.31, and 9 out of 13 starts he allowed 3 runs or less. I would assume his hip started altering his delivery after that date, and maybe even a few starts before. I think he was just figuring out how to really pitch w/o a blazing fast ball. 8 years after having the same surgery that he just had I am still doing fine. I'll be rooting for him next year and hope he's a starter for the Gs.
The FO, and anyone else, would be insane not to give him a tryout after he has healed.

What is there to lose in that?

If he could return with even a 90mph fastball, he'd be a fine #4 or so.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bring him back. Worse thing that happens is its an even year and we win the series in 7 games instead of 4.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The FO, and anyone else, would be insane not to give him a tryout after he has healed.

What is there to lose in that?

If he could return with even a 90mph fastball, he'd be a fine #4 or so.

What reason is there to believe this is the magical cure to help him become even a good, consistent pitcher again?

I understand surgery can help. But Lincecum was supposed to have been "fixed" in multiple ways over the years

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What reason is there to believe this is the magical cure to help him become even a good, consistent pitcher again?

I understand surgery can help. But Lincecum was supposed to have been "fixed" in multiple ways over the years

Tim's unique delivery requires such precision that any sort of injury will throw him off significantly. If he can't repeat his delivery, he can't find a consistent release point, and he can't be relied on. If this surgery supposedly will make his hips the way they were before they hurt, then that would be great. It's not gonna add miles to his fastball, but he'll be able to command his pitches better. He was showing before the injury that he was capable of this, as mentioned above.

Lincecum's old way of fixing himself was trying to throw harder, when he couldn't. This year, he finally showed an ability to locate the fastball. Then he got hurt.

Honestly, my biggest concern is wondering if he's ever going to be healthy enough to pitch through a full season again. Is aforementioned delivery clearly taxed his body and it doesn't look like he can recover the way he once could.

The risk will be minimal, and I wouldn't mind a reunion.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe so, but, good grief, he never had surgery, at least not like this.

How many athletes have had surgery and come back as strong as ever.

You can't just write him off without trying him.

Hey, maybe this type of surgery will become popular, and we can call it "Tim Lincecum Surgery". TLS.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe so, but, good grief, he never had surgery, at least not like this.

How many athletes have had surgery and come back as strong as ever.

You can't just write him off without trying him.

Hey, maybe this type of surgery will become popular, and we can call it "Tim Lincecum Surgery". TLS.

This.

There is NO downside to a ML minimum contract with lots of incentives and an invite to ST.

NO downside.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bring him back. Worse thing that happens is its an even year and we win the series in 7 games instead of 4.
They need to win one in 6 games now. They've won in 4, 5 and 7. ;)

I'd be open to Timmy on a 1 year $3M base with a bunch of incentives based on K's and IP. He's still a great teammate and an awesome Giant.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Because it's a low risk, cheap, potentially high reward.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to win one in 6 games now. They've won in 4, 5 and 7. ;)

I'd be open to Timmy on a 1 year $3M base with a bunch of incentives based on K's and IP. He's still a great teammate and an awesome Giant.

We're so good, we could win one in 3. Make the AL team cry and go home.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People refuse to give up on him. Just not a battle I'll win. Definitely respect the opinion of you all

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People refuse to give up on him. Just not a battle I'll win. Definitely respect the opinion of you all
Nobody's battling you, it's just that it's hard to let go of the guy who started moving the needle in the right direction for this franchise.

I think we all know the end is near for Timmay, but what's wrong with one more romp in the sack with the HOT-ex that you know is bad for you? ;)

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's our prodigal son. As long as he doesn't sign with the Dodgers *cough* Wilson *cough*, he will always be welcome in SF. The Giants owe it to themselves to kick the tires post-op and see if Timmeh is capable of returning to even half of what he was. Chances are the contract would be cheap, would be incentive laden, and would be everything you would want in a flyer shot. Low risk/mid-high reward

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody's battling you, it's just that it's hard to let go of the guy who started moving the needle in the right direction for this franchise.

I think we all know the end is near for Timmay, but what's wrong with one more romp in the sack with the HOT-ex that you know is bad for you? ;)

Famous last words of many a man pre-FUBAR.