• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hey Texas how's that Charlie Strong hire working out

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not me. Oklahoma is located next to one of the three biggest recruiting grounds and is a rival to that state's best school. If Oklahoma switched locals with the state of Kansas, what do you think Oklahoma would be in football?

If OU jumps to another conference, how often will OUplay Texas teams or be on TV? Texas recruits see OU play in the state three times a year, move and they might not see them at all. Playing twice in the Dallas-FTW metro has been valuable for OU for decades.

It's nice to get caught up in conference realignment, but geography plays a big role in OU's winning ways.

As long as we keep the RRSO we'll be fine.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All OU has to do is play the RRSO and occasionally schedule a good game at Jerry World and we couldn't care less about playing Baylor, Texas Tech or TCU in the Big XII. Going to the Pac 12 would let us play in California every year. The potential for good recruiting on the West Coast would increase dramatically if we joined the Pac 12. Coaching that talent so it would develop and win would still be the critical piece we are missing now. However, OU's elite facilities coupled with its fan base and massive financial support plus an improved recruiting base could be the combination we need for getting our own version of Saban or Meyer.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm pretty sure if it happened, it would be a package deal with Texas. The RRSO would be safe.

Bitties&Teer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All OU has to do is play the RRSO and occasionally schedule a good game at Jerry World and we couldn't care less about playing Baylor, Texas Tech or TCU in the Big XII. Going to the Pac 12 would let us play in California every year. The potential for good recruiting on the West Coast would increase dramatically if we joined the Pac 12. Coaching that talent so it would develop and win would still be the critical piece we are missing now. However, OU's elite facilities coupled with its fan base and massive financial support plus an improved recruiting base could be the combination we need for getting our own version of Saban or Meyer.

I'm pretty sure if it happened, it would be a package deal with Texas. The RRSO would be safe.

Did any of you see A&M and Texas not playing each other? I know the RRSO is awesome and all, but it wouldn't be smart to play if OU moves to a more competitive conference like the PAC, $EC, or B1G. Those conferences have deeper top ends than the B12 where OU & TX are king of the hill most of the time. An OOC game every with the whorns would be playoff suicide for one team by October, I like it.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did any of you see A&M and Texas not playing each other? I know the RRSO is awesome and all, but it wouldn't be smart to play if OU moves to a more competitive conference like the PAC, $EC, or B1G. Those conferences have deeper top ends than the B12 where OU & TX are king of the hill most of the time. An OOC game every with the whorns would be playoff suicide for one team by October, I like it.

If Florida in the SEC can successfully play Florida State and Miami out of conference we can certainly handle playing Texas. We need to get good enough again so we can handle 3-4 really tough games every year. Jeez are we a long way from being that good now. But I'm an optimist. If Boren and Castiglione ever get out of the way we can start trying to get back to that level. There are plenty of top notch coaches who would jump at the chance to resuscitate the OU football program for $5MM to $6MM every year.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Formation of the Big 12, Oklahoma Donnie Duncan claimed that Oklahoma could no longer play Texas and Nebraska each year as it would be unfair to Oklahoma to have to play two tough conference games each year.

As divisions and schedule rotations were set up, Duncan made a decision that would change history. With OU and NU in separate divisions, he decided that Oklahoma would no longer play the Huskers annually.

Duncan told this story last May while he attended the historic Big 12 meetings on Kansas City's Plaza. I asked him why he chose to end a meaningful rivalry like NU and OU. His reply: "Oklahoma already had a rival in Texas. There was no need to play both Nebraska and Texas every year.''

If Oklahoma goes to another conference how could they possibly play a team like Alabama and Texas every year? Or a USC and Texas every year? Or a Florida State and Texas every year? It just would not be fair.:D

Even though Oklahoma did just that during the Big 8 days.:2cents:

BTW, I am not poking Oklahoma. I am poking fun of Donnie Duncan, he and Deloss Dodds were definitely working on some things during the formation of the Big 12.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Formation of the Big 12, Oklahoma Donnie Duncan claimed that Oklahoma could no longer play Texas and Nebraska each year as it would be unfair to Oklahoma to have to play two tough conference games each year.

As divisions and schedule rotations were set up, Duncan made a decision that would change history. With OU and NU in separate divisions, he decided that Oklahoma would no longer play the Huskers annually.

Duncan told this story last May while he attended the historic Big 12 meetings on Kansas City's Plaza. I asked him why he chose to end a meaningful rivalry like NU and OU. His reply: "Oklahoma already had a rival in Texas. There was no need to play both Nebraska and Texas every year.''

If Oklahoma goes to another conference how could they possibly play a team like Alabama and Texas every year? Or a USC and Texas every year? Or a Florida State and Texas every year? It just would not be fair.:D

Even though Oklahoma did just that during the Big 8 days.:2cents:

BTW, I am not poking Oklahoma. I am poking fun of Donnie Duncan, he and Deloss Dodds were definitely working on some things during the formation of the Big 12.

And may I add, thank god "Delosser" is gone. Perrine looks like a weak F&*k, and I'm afraid he may be a puppet for the "good ole boys" club, but at least he seems to care about the conference as a whole.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And may I add, thank god "Delosser" is gone. Perrine looks like a weak F&*k, and I'm afraid he may be a puppet for the "good ole boys" club, but at least he seems to care about the conference as a whole.
You have hit on something I've been thinking for a while. I think the AD hire just may be more important than the FB coach. It is going to take a unique individual that is diplomatic enough to deal with the "gold ole MONEY boys" and be strong enough to tell them to shove it up their ass when need be. Not very many people in the world have such a skill set. JMO

8085sooner

Homeboard Troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

OU won 6 National Championships, playing the RRS every year with Texas in a different conference.

Bitties&Teer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU won 6 National Championships, playing the RRS every year with Texas in a different conference.

That was with a different era of football. Can OU today play a slate of SEC games and play UT every year and still continue to win 10 games a season? Currently, they're 3-2 and the answer is no. Perhaps with better talent, I believe so. But it would be better to have two cupcakes and a mid tier P5.

8085sooner

Homeboard Troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see OU going to the SEC, the PAC maybe.

Bitties&Teer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see OU going to the SEC, the PAC maybe.

The SEC was just an example, but it still applies to the PAC as well, USC with new leadership will be back, Oregon, the reemergence of Washington, and Stanford are four formidable opponents. AZ state isn't a slouch and Utah has had some good teams. Colorado is showing a pulse. All those teams alone would be tough wins.

VTgator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Florida in the SEC can successfully play Florida State and Miami out of conference we can certainly handle playing Texas. We need to get good enough again so we can handle 3-4 really tough games every year. Jeez are we a long way from being that good now. But I'm an optimist. If Boren and Castiglione ever get out of the way we can start trying to get back to that level. There are plenty of top notch coaches who would jump at the chance to resuscitate the OU football program for $5MM to $6MM every year.

We haven't played Miami regularly since 1987, but your point is taken. How long will it be, however, if OU contiunues to beat Texas most year until the fans scream "____ never plays a team the caliber of Oklahoma every year. Let's play Rice instead..."?

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yup, all those west coast kids are just dying to come to beautiful Oklahoma?

How did it work out keeping KD with the Thunder?

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, all those west coast kids are just dying to come to beautiful Oklahoma?

How did it work out keeping KD with the Thunder?

Durant moved to increase his chances of getting a ring. He'd have moved to any team in the league to get what he wants. It had nothing to do with getting out of Oklahoma City because he didn't like the area or the Thunder. You know that. Also, check into how many Californians have signed with OU over the past few years. Of course Oklahoma would recruit even better on the West Coast if we played out there more often.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many basketballs can Golden State play with? As far as I know, it is still one.

Golden State did not need Durant, they needed a center