• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hey Texas how's that Charlie Strong hire working out

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we make good on one of those missed opportunities at the title we're probably having a different conversation, but we didn't and I'd tend to agree that Oklahoma has underperformed. That said, they have finished top 10 a total of 10 times since the formation of the big 12.

I don't know. Maybe my expectations are just too high for both schools. I'm just frustrated as hell. I have the utmost respect for the OU football program. What a great rivalry we have had. Losing the ATM rivalry was tough, but if we lost this one, I think I would just go home and shoot myself. I wish OU success in every game except one. A strong OU makes Texas better and vice versa in my opinion.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know. Maybe my expectations are just too high for both schools. I'm just frustrated as hell. I have the utmost respect for the OU football program. What a great rivalry we have had. Losing the ATM rivalry was tough, but if we lost this one, I think I would just go home and shoot myself. I wish OU success in every game except one. A strong OU makes Texas better and vice versa in my opinion.

Like I said, if Oklahoma converts one of their three missed opportunities since 2000, my perspective is quite a bit different.

Jtrain80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not slamming OU and saying Texas is better. Far from it. Texas just flat ass sucks, and has for a long time now. I'm saying OU has undelivered as well. Has Texas been worse, probably, but there is no excuse for either school.

I agree. Since 08 we just can't get it together. It's like the Nebraska Solich decision. Do you keep the 9-10 win season or roll the dice and really make some bad hires.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything you say maybe true, I really don't follow OU football that closely, but your comment about OU's play outside the conference is one of my points. When you look at it overall, the Big 12 really hasn't been that strong. Could that be the reason, I don't know, but it's possible. I don't think the Big 12 has been weak, but some of our success has come from playing in a weaker conference. Certainly up to 2010.

Winning conference championships is nice. But what happened at Oklahoma was Stoops was allowed to keep falling back on his winning conference championships as being enough to keep getting warm fuzzies and being paid top dollar. There ceased to be an attitude at Oklahoma that winning conference championships was not the big deal Stoops kept making it out to be; occasionally winning a NC when you have a real shot to win one is what the fans, the President and the AD demand at Oklahoma. Bob Stoops was allowed to get a little too comfortable, things started to slip and eventually we have gotten to where we are now. It was a long slide and the majority of OU fans don't see him climbing back up to the top of the mountain again.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except for we have all been playing in the big 12. Not that impressive for either. The big 12 really didn't have some other schools that could compete consistently until the last 5 or 6 years in my opinion. We added TCU. Good program, but starting to come down to reality. Baylor has been successful, but it hasn't been the same way a Texas or an OU does it. They went after kids that were great football players, that Texas and OU wouldn't touch. Academics, off the field issues were huge concerns to programs that care about ethics. Baylor did not. They got these kids through school with a weak academic program, and obviously tried to hide the illegal activities. They wanted a successful program to get the money. Obviously, they didn't care how they got there or the kids.
I agree. The good Texas and OU teams of the past would have had zero problems with the recent TCU and Baylor teams.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tough day for T-sips yesterday.
Herbie and Gameday rips them a new asshole on national TV
They lost the RRR to their one true rival
Aggy (not their rival) won and is undefeated and ranked in top ten.
Shameless public campaign for a top ten coach that just lost to Navy.
The next 18-wheeler package called by Charlie will most likely be a moving truck.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winning conference championships is nice. But what happened at Oklahoma was Stoops was allowed to keep falling back on his winning conference championships as being enough to keep getting warm fuzzies and being paid top dollar. There ceased to be an attitude at Oklahoma that winning conference championships was not the big deal Stoops kept making it out to be; occasionally winning a NC when you have a real shot to win one is what the fans, the President and the AD demand at Oklahoma. Bob Stoops was allowed to get a little too comfortable, things started to slip and eventually we have gotten to where we are now. It was a long slide and the majority of OU fans don't see him climbing back up to the top of the mountain again.

I think the really tangible evidence of that is in looking at our recruiting rankings since 2010 or so. We've been hovering around 16 or so when the data bears out pretty strongly that you need at least one top 10 class and more likely two on your roster to win a title. Bob got lazy and figured the name on the jersey was enough. Looking at what he's doing with recruiting right now he seems to be trying to get back on the horse, but is it too late? All I know is that he better hold that 2017 class together.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Since 08 we just can't get it together. It's like the Nebraska Solich decision. Do you keep the 9-10 win season or roll the dice and really make some bad hires.

It is a crap shoot with these coaches. I happen to think Charlie Strong is a good coach, but lets face it. Our defense is just flat out horrible. This isn't a coaching issue, it's a talent issue. You have to be able to recruit top talent. I'm starting to wonder if he's not falling short in this area. I understand 3 recruiting years isn't a lot, but our defense is just flat out embarrassing.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tough day for T-sips yesterday. Not really, we suck. It was to be expected. Honestly, I can't believe it was that close.
Herbie and Gameday rips them a new asshole on national TV. Good for them. They should have.
They lost the RRR to their one true rival. Not a big game yesterday. Both teams way below average.
Aggy (not their rival) won and is undefeated and ranked in top ten. This could be the biggest area of concern in the area of recruiting. If it's not, it should be.
Shameless public campaign for a top ten coach that just lost to Navy. Never have been a believer. No proven record with the big boys as a head coach. Look at Sumlin and how long it's taken him to have a good season. With ATM's talent the last few years, way way overdue, plus the season isn't over yet. Time will tell. Not wishing you any bad luck, just it ain't over yet.
The next 18-wheeler package called by Charlie will most likely be a moving truck. Looks that way. Not sure how to feel about it, but it can't keep going the direction its going. Sometimes you just have to pull the plug and hope for the best.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the really tangible evidence of that is in looking at our recruiting rankings since 2010 or so. We've been hovering around 16 or so when the data bears out pretty strongly that you need at least one top 10 class and more likely two on your roster to win a title. Bob got lazy and figured the name on the jersey was enough. Looking at what he's doing with recruiting right now he seems to be trying to get back on the horse, but is it too late? All I know is that he better hold that 2017 class together.

Totally agree. Recruiting is everything. I think we tend to put too blame on the coaches. You have to have the talent. The exact same thing happened with Mack Brown. Plus, I honestly think it can be media hype as well, but at the end of the day, you have to have some top 3 recruiting classes to have a good chance at an NC. I'm not saying it can't be done with less, but the more mud you throw on the wall, the more will stick. This is becoming my biggest concern for Charlie Strong. He has got to be able to recruit top talent to have a chance to turn this around. It's not easy at this point, but it has to be done.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree. Recruiting is everything. I think we tend to put too blame on the coaches. You have to have the talent. The exact same thing happened with Mack Brown. Plus, I honestly think it can be media hype as well, but at the end of the day, you have to have some top 3 recruiting classes to have a good chance at an NC. I'm not saying it can't be done with less, but the more mud you throw on the wall, the more will stick. This is becoming my biggest concern for Charlie Strong. He has got to be able to recruit top talent to have a chance to turn this around. It's not easy at this point, but it has to be done.

Maybe not top 3, but definitely top 10 and top 5 even better.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winning the Big 12 this year is like winning the special olympics.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The cesspool of Austin, Texas"

Bitties&Teer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best move for OU is to disembark this sinking ship of a conference.

:2cents:
Not me. Oklahoma is located next to one of the three biggest recruiting grounds and is a rival to that state's best school. If Oklahoma switched locals with the state of Kansas, what do you think Oklahoma would be in football?

If OU jumps to another conference, how often will OUplay Texas teams or be on TV? Texas recruits see OU play in the state three times a year, move and they might not see them at all. Playing twice in the Dallas-FTW metro has been valuable for OU for decades.

It's nice to get caught up in conference realignment, but geography plays a big role in OU's winning ways.

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winning the Big 12 this year is like winning the special olympics.
7M30q.gif

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At the end of the day Texas is better for having Strong. He inherited a complete mess. He did well in recruiting with the 2015 and 2016 classes. The next coach will inherit a lot more talent, than he did. 2017 might be rough. OU is doing well, but none of the Texas schools are making moves. Big name here and Texas could end up with a top 10 class in 2017