• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hey Mamba - Remember when I said it wouldn't surprise me if Cal was as good as USC?

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh please hire Ogeron. I like yall being mediocre.

qOM3GAp

CaRdInAl&GoLd
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. I'd have no issue with Coach O getting the job. If he doesn't, Haden has said that the new coach will be strongly encouraged to keep Coach O on staff!!

Im a huge coach O fan too but at the same time we gotta be level headed here. He is not a proven winning coach which is exactly what sc needs to get back to where we belong.

qOM3GAp

CaRdInAl&GoLd
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would def want coach O to remain on staff tho...he brings fun and intensity to this team and is one of the best recruiters in the nation. It would be a huge loss if we lost him.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im a huge coach O fan too but at the same time we gotta be level headed here. He is not a proven winning coach which is exactly what sc needs to get back to where we belong.

What's that Carroll guy up to? Maybe he'd like to coach?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh please hire Ogeron. I like yall being mediocre.

Please dazzle us all with your brilliance about how hiring Orgeron would somehow make USC continue to be mediocre.

This should be good.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I disagree. Pete Carroll wasn't a proven, winning coach when he was hired and the 3 coaches prior to him were. In fact, Carroll was considered a failed NFL coach when we hired him.

Orgeron is a great recruiter and has shown that, unlike Kiffin, he is actually smart enough to let his assistants do their jobs. Plus, there's a lot to be said for a coach that the players want to play for.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please dazzle us all with your brilliance about how hiring Orgeron would somehow make USC continue to be mediocre.

This should be good.

It would go into more detail but it will fall on deaf ears friend. You were one of the 2%er support crew of Kiffin after all.

Why settle for a Ogeron?

Its USC and I have explained this to you a several times. You should have the elite of the elite HC and not settle for the Kiffs and Ogerons of the world.

Go ahead, I hope they do hire Ogeron based off of his inspired team's performance after clearing the cancerous HC off the team.

THis happens all the time when a HC is fired. Team plays inspired football. DOesnt mean you hire the guy as your HC based off of a few games.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would go into more detail but it will fall on deaf ears friend. You were one of the 2%er support crew of Kiffin after all.

Why settle for a Ogeron?

Its USC and I have explained this to you a several times. You should have the elite of the elite HC and not settle for the Kiffs and Ogerons of the world.

Go ahead, I hope they do hire Ogeron based off of his inspired team's performance after clearing the cancerous HC off the team.

THis happens all the time when a HC is fired. Team plays inspired football. DOesnt mean you hire the guy as your HC based off of a few games.

You mean like the elite of the elite coach that Pete Carroll was when he came in? Prior to Pete Carroll, USC hired a "proven winner and elite of the elite coach" in John Robinson (2nd stint). Robinson was not only a big name coach with a proven winning history in cfb, he was a proven winning NFL coach as well and his college credentials were earned at USC. His results were underwhelming.

Then Larry Smith was hired. He looked good as a mid-major coach and the conventional wisdom was "Look at what he did at a less prestigious program. Imagine what he'll do with USC's talent". Didn't work.

Then Paul Hackett, a proven NFL coach was hired and he was the worst of the 3. USC hired Pete Carroll and Trojans everywhere lost their everlovin' minds over the hiring of a proven NFL failure. Somehow, that turned out okay.

I've said it before. USC doesn't need the "big name/sexy hire", USC is the "big name". What USC needs is a football coach. Orgeron has 4 more games to show what he can do. Who knows how it will turn out? Maybe the wheels will come off the cart and he'll show that he doesn't deserve the job. So far, I have no complaints about how he has performed.

That's not to say that he even gets the job or that he would be my first choice, I simply stated that I would have no problem if he got the job.

You can throw Kiffin in my face all that you want, I really don't care. You don't understand the points that I've made about him as a coach and you and I will never agree on it anyway.

You have not, however, given one valid reason as to why hiring Orgeron means that USC will remain mediocre.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why settle for a Ogeron?

who would you recommend on a serious note mamba? lots of big ifs but if orgeron is able to beat Stanford and ucla and play for pac 12 title then he has to win job...I haven't heard a lot of big name candidates to be honest...last I heard way back when was jack del rio was the front runner. most high profile candidates in solid jobs aren't going to bail for USC...maybe chris Peterson....I don't see usc making a big splash here regardless

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who would you recommend on a serious note mamba? lots of big ifs but if orgeron is able to beat Stanford and ucla and play for pac 12 title then he has to win job...I haven't heard a lot of big name candidates to be honest...last I heard way back when was jack del rio was the front runner. most high profile candidates in solid jobs aren't going to bail for USC...maybe chris Peterson....I don't see usc making a big splash here regardless

I'm not Mamba, but the names I've heard the most are Jack Del Rio (I wonder if the situation with John Fox changes that?), Franklin from Vandy, Peterson (of course), Mike Riley (of course) and Dan Patrick said recently that he heard from a source that he considers reliable, that USC will go full court press on Gruden.

It's going to be interesting, no doubt. I agree though, if Orgeron wins out, he'll have made a very strong case for himself.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have not, however, given one valid reason as to why hiring Orgeron means that USC will remain mediocre.

Ya, because I dont possess psychic ability.

But you can use common sense and a law of averages.

There are dozens of better choices than Ogeron.

Like I said, this will fall on deaf ears TF12!! You are the 2%er that loved Kiffin and his antics til the end.

You actually defended the guy. Claimed he could coach.

I feel like I am talking to a wall trying to convince you USC can find much better than O.

And your point on Carroll... WHy not gamble? USC hadnt been good in years. As of now, USC is coming off of one of the most dominant runs if not the most dominant run in PAC history.

The job is different right now compared to what it was when Carroll took the position.

Also, he was an NFL HC. Never heard of a team bitch about an NFL HC hire as a CFB coach. (1 exception Callahan to Nebraska)

Del Rio wasnt a winner in the NFL as HC. Nobody would complain about him. Fisher is very average as a HC as far as record. But he would be considered one of the best hires any CFB team could make.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were USC I would have gone after Dave Doeren last season. Now his career is going to flounder @ NC State.

If I were USC today I go after Cliff Kingsbury hard. They whiffed with their choice on young LA feel super smart HC in Kiffin. Kingsbury is that guy... That can actually coach. Yes, it would be a gamble. BUt you wouldnt be settling for mediocrity like you would with O.

Another choice is throwing a truck load of money @ Coach Pete or Coach Patterson. Dont know if either would leave.

But a name that hasnt been mentioned.. why I dont know. Is Gary Patterson. He seems to fit what USC wants to do. He just doesnt get the personnel at TCU to win in a big conference.

At USC HC Patterson would be a fantastic hire.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, because I dont possess psychic ability.

But you can use common sense and a law of averages.

There are dozens of better choices than Ogeron.

Like I said, this will fall on deaf ears TF12!! You are the 2%er that loved Kiffin and his antics til the end.

You actually defended the guy. Claimed he could coach.

I feel like I am talking to a wall trying to convince you USC can find much better than O.

And your point on Carroll... WHy not gamble? USC hadnt been good in years. As of now, USC is coming off of one of the most dominant runs if not the most dominant run in PAC history.

The job is different right now compared to what it was when Carroll took the position.

Also, he was an NFL HC. Never heard of a team bitch about an NFL HC hire as a CFB coach. (1 exception Callahan to Nebraska)

Del Rio wasnt a winner in the NFL as HC. Nobody would complain about him. Fisher is very average as a HC as far as record. But he would be considered one of the best hires any CFB team could make.

You make some solid points. However:

Kiffin can coach. You don't rise up through the coaching ranks at USC and become an OC under Pete Carroll if you can't coach. What Kiffin can't do is lead. This is the difference that you don't seem to understand. Pete Carroll was an average to slightly above average coach, but he is a great leader. Kiffin is a good coach, but he clearly has no idea how to lead.

If I were a running a football program, I would have no issue with hiring Kiffin as a position coach or even an OC, I would not, however, hire him as a head coach. He's proven that he can't handle that at this time and he may just be one of those guys that never can. Some guys are career assistants.

As for why not take a chance when they hired Carroll. Why not take a chance on Orgeron if the team continues to play well? Yes, Carroll took us on an amazing run when USC had been a shell of itself for a few years. However, we are also coming off of some of the worst sanctions ever handed down to a program. Why not gamble again? It worked the last time.

I agree about Del Rio and Fisher. In fact, in a previous post, I mentioned several coaches that I believe USC has or will contact. As I have said, there are several coaches that I wouldn't have a problem with USC hiring. Orgeron just happens to be one of those choices.

If we were using my list of coaches. It would look a something like this:

1.) Gruden - Don't know if he is interested in or even could be a college coach. But hiring him, along with USC's other recruiting advantages, would make USC nearly impossible to beat on the recruiting circuit. Besides, can you imagine what the student section will do with "Chucky" as our coach?:lol:

2.) Del Rio - I love his defense first approach and he understands the culture and what is expected at USC.

3.) Fisher/Orgeron - I put this as a tie because there may be a little bad blood between Fisher and the university (Fisher actually sued USC) that would have to be overcome. Like Del Rio though, he is a respected coach and knows the culture and expectations at USC. Orgeron is beloved by everyone, is a proven recruiter and the team has responded very well to him. He has 4 more games to move himself up or down the list.

4.) Peterson - Seems like a great coach and could be a great hire. However, his success could also be the proverbial "big fish in a small pond" and he may not be able to translate that success to a big school. Plus, I think he's turned down every PAC school at least once and some twice.

5.) Franklin - The fact that he has made Vandy competitive in the SEC says alot. However, he would be leaving a program with low expectations to go to a program with expectations that can seem unrealistic at times. Can he handle that?

Some others like Sarkisian and Riley would get a look too, but I don't see either of them moving. Riley has turned USC down twice and Sarkisian once.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were USC I would have gone after Dave Doeren last season. Now his career is going to flounder @ NC State.

If I were USC today I go after Cliff Kingsbury hard. They whiffed with their choice on young LA feel super smart HC in Kiffin. Kingsbury is that guy... That can actually coach. Yes, it would be a gamble. BUt you wouldnt be settling for mediocrity like you would with O.

Another choice is throwing a truck load of money @ Coach Pete or Coach Patterson. Dont know if either would leave.

But a name that hasnt been mentioned.. why I dont know. Is Gary Patterson. He seems to fit what USC wants to do. He just doesnt get the personnel at TCU to win in a big conference.

At USC HC Patterson would be a fantastic hire.

Wait?!? You said you don't have psychic ability but now you know how the team will fare under Kingsbury vs. Orgeron?:lol:

I actually agree about Patterson and Kingsbury. End of the day, there are lots of coaches out there that could be very good hires. It's gonna be very interesting to see all of the rumors that will come out, no doubt.

Heck, I've already had to squash 3 or 4 Chip Kelly rumors that some friends were throwing out there.:doh:

Last edited by a moderator:

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You make some solid points. However:

Kiffin can coach. You don't rise up through the coaching ranks at USC and become an OC under Pete Carroll if you can't coach. What Kiffin can't do is lead. This is the difference that you don't seem to understand. Pete Carroll was an average to slightly above average coach, but he is a great leader. Kiffin is a good coach, but he clearly has no idea how to lead.

If I were a running a football program, I would have no issue with hiring Kiffin as a position coach or even an OC, I would not, however, hire him as a head coach. He's proven that he can't handle that at this time and he may just be one of those guys that never can. Some guys are career assistants.

As for why not take a chance when they hired Carroll. Why not take a chance on Orgeron if the team continues to play well? Yes, Carroll took us on an amazing run when USC had been a shell of itself for a few years. However, we are also coming off of some of the worst sanctions ever handed down to a program. Why not gamble again? It worked the last time.

I agree about Del Rio and Fisher. In fact, in a previous post, I mentioned several coaches that I believe USC has or will contact. As I have said, there are several coaches that I wouldn't have a problem with USC hiring. Orgeron just happens to be one of those choices.

If we were using my list of coaches. It would look a something like this:

1.) Gruden - Don't know if he is interested in or even could be a college coach. But hiring him, along with USC's other recruiting advantages, would make USC nearly impossible to beat on the recruiting circuit. Besides, can you imagine what the student section will do with "Chucky" as our coach?:lol:

2.) Del Rio - I love his defense first approach and he understands the culture and what is expected at USC.

3.) Fisher/Orgeron - I put this as a tie because there may be a little bad blood between Fisher and the university (Fisher actually sued USC) that would have to be overcome. Like Del Rio though, he is a respected coach and knows the culture and expectations at USC. Orgeron is beloved by everyone, is a proven recruiter and the team has responded very well to him. He has 4 more games to move himself up or down the list.

4.) Peterson - Seems like a great coach and could be a great hire. However, his success could also be the proverbial "big fish in a small pond" and he may not be able to translate that success to a big school. Plus, I think he's turned down every PAC school at least once and some twice.

5.) Franklin - The fact that he has made Vandy competitive in the SEC says alot. However, he would be leaving a program with low expectations to go to a program with expectations that can seem unrealistic at times. Can he handle that?

Some others like Sarkisian and Riley would get a look too, but I don't see either of them moving. Riley has turned USC down twice and Sarkisian once.

Good read TF12...

My votes for DelRio right now, I had Petersen 1st for a long time. I think USC Defense was what always scared me on the opposing side, THAT and the Trojan run game.

Defense 1st
Offense 2nd
:suds: