• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Helton new USC HC

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We landed on the moon!!

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penicillin?

No thanks...prolly made out of penises or something.

GeekSportsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like this hire. One, it keeps USC's profile low as far as not having to deal with the expectations if we had hired Chip Kelly, Mark Richt, etc. Two, Helton is very well liked by his players and is a great recruiter. Three, I like what he has done with the team as far as being willing to go back to establishing the run to set up our passing game. Now, if he would just fire our defensive coordinator Justin Wilcox.

TROJAN-MAN

Been around the block more times than the mailman
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like this hire. One, it keeps USC's profile low as far as not having to deal with the expectations if we had hired Chip Kelly, Mark Richt, etc. Two, Helton is very well liked by his players and is a great recruiter. Three, I like what he has done with the team as far as being willing to go back to establishing the run to set up our passing game. Now, if he would just fire our defensive coordinator Justin Wilcox.

Hope he gives Wilcox a nice Christmas gift too. Color it Pink!

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I respect that but I'm not a fan of Wilcox

I'm not a fan yet, but I'm also not willing to throw him out just yet. He's dealt with a depleted roster and lots of inexperience. That's not to mention the injuries the defense has suffered.

I say give him a season or 2 with a full roster and see what we get. If there isn't improvement on defense in that period of time, then it's definitely time to move on from him. He's considered one of the brighter young defensive coaches in the country and Husky fans were far more upset about losing him than Sark.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a fan yet, but I'm also not willing to throw him out just yet. He's dealt with a depleted roster and lots of inexperience. That's not to mention the injuries the defense has suffered.

I say give him a season or 2 with a full roster and see what we get. If there isn't improvement on defense in that period of time, then it's definitely time to move on from him. He's considered one of the brighter young defensive coaches in the country and Husky fans were far more upset about losing him than Sark.
We are young on defense and have had injuries. The part that really concerns me is the tackling. Im not sure if its a conditioning problem. A fundamental problem where they aren't being coached to wrap up right or if the defenders ere being lazy. Ive never seen USC tackle that poorly and its a massive concern. I also feel A lot of the defensive issues fall on the coaches. We also should have been playing man all year I'm not sold on Wilcox at all right now. And my opinion of him has gradually declined over the year. The Pregon performance was pathetic with receivers roaming free. the tackling vs UCLA was atrocious. We got lucky a bit in that win too

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heltons wife is SMOKING hot for him. How the f he pull that?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are young on defense and have had injuries. The part that really concerns me is the tackling. Im not sure if its a conditioning problem. A fundamental problem where they aren't being coached to wrap up right or if the defenders ere being lazy. Ive never seen USC tackle that poorly and its a massive concern. I also feel A lot of the defensive issues fall on the coaches. We also should have been playing man all year I'm not sold on Wilcox at all right now. And my opinion of him has gradually declined over the year. The Pregon performance was pathetic with receivers roaming free. the tackling vs UCLA was atrocious. We got lucky a bit in that win too

Tackling is always a concern for every team, not just USC. They see guys getting "blown up" on ESPN and think they need to do that too. As for worse defenses, 2005 and the 7-6 season under Kiffin come to mind. It was also pretty bad in Pete Carroll's last season (2009).

The problem in Oregon was blown assignments. That was young guys, in a very loud environment missing communication. Most of that communication falls on the middle linebacker and we're down to the 3rd string middle linebacker.

I don't get the complaints about tackling vs. UCLA. Yes, there were some broken tackles. It happens. It was a rivalry game with the PAC South on the line. UCLA's backs were running as hard as they could, are talented and some broken tackles are to be expected. I was impressed with how quickly our DB's and LB's were on the receivers. I don't remember a lot of yards after catch in that game.

Plus, in the 4th quarter, UCLA was held to 11 yards. So, someone was doing some tackling.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You got an ex Auburn player for a HC.

USC fucked.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Won their division after dealing with a drunk coach then losing him during the season.
Smashed Utah when everyone was drooling over KW for their next HC and the Utes as a whole.
Destroyed UCLA.

If someone could promise me those 3 things with a first year HC regardless of name/starpower then.... Id prob be ok with that hire.

TROJAN-MAN

Been around the block more times than the mailman
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to respectfully disagree with all 3 of you re: Wilcox.

He needs to dump the 3 - 4 and implement a 4 - 3 and play man to man. The talent level is to good to play a zone. I'm sure Helton told him to do so against FUCLA

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He needs to dump the 3 - 4 and implement a 4 - 3 and play man to man. The talent level is to good to play a zone. I'm sure Helton told him to do so against FUCLA
man to man with all these running QBs around in CFB???