• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Help with Rules Interpretations

RGrabber

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching games yesterday I came upon the Northwestern / Michigan game at the very end.
With 11 seconds left Michigan catches a pass but it is not a 1st down. They run the field goal team on to the field and kick a game tieing field goal with 1 second left:

First question, why to referees run to set the ball up for play only in the last minute of a game when on every other play they move at a regular pace. Three minutes early in the game it might take eight or nine seconds just to set the ball. They do not do this at the end of the first half. It seems a benefit to the offensive team. They also do it slowly if the offensive team is in victory formation.

Second, since there was change of players, why did they not give Northwestern the opportunity to make changes as they do with any fast paced offense that changes personnel. The explanation given to Northwestern was that they do not have to give the defense a chance to change if it is the last play of the half or of the game.

Seems strange. How does the referee know if any play is the last play of the half or game.
Simple possibility, what if there was a bad snap on the play, the kicker picks up the ball and throws a pass on which a pass interference call is made. The last play of the game (in the refs mind) turns out not to be.

In fact, theoretically a game could go on forever with continuous defensive penalties. I understand that is far fetched, but the point is that the ref never really knows what the last play of the half will be.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point! I ask this same question in regards to one week if a HUNH team is playing, the refs are hustling to set ball, yet if a Pro style is playing, they do it at a regular pace. The NFL says their refs will do it at the same pace and teams will adjust to them. Seems fairer to me!

Also- right tackle for Michigan is not set long enough before snap in fact he is still getting set when ball is snapped. That is a fact. I would love to hear from Michigan fans who think he was. It's not hard to see.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point! I ask this same question in regards to one week if a HUNH team is playing, the refs are hustling to set ball, yet if a Pro style is playing, they do it at a regular pace. The NFL says their refs will do it at the same pace and teams will adjust to them. Seems fairer to me!

Also- right tackle for Michigan is not set long enough before snap in fact he is still getting set when ball is snapped. That is a fact. I would love to hear from Michigan fans who think he was. It's not hard to see.

Refs run at the end of the half or the game. Nobody wants to see a game decided by a ref walking to spot a ball. I believe both suspend substitution rules late in halves. It is just common sense. You could have a defense pruposely slow down the game late. Plus you rarely need to substitute in those situtations. Majority are straight nickle/dime situations for a defense.

RGrabber

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know they run at the end of the game, seldom at the end of the half. But the concept that most are nickel/dime situations is flawed. The best case for that is this situation.

Maybe not flawed of the offense is required to run a normal play. The referee can stop the clock if he felt the defense was delaying. And besides, it creates a situation that always favors the "behind in the score offense."

What if the referee tripped on the way to spotting the ball, would the offense have a beef in it not being set in time for the field goal.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just made a post about the same thing. guess i should have read this first

tideguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,211.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid posts here!!

Refs should have to go at the same pace the whole game, no matter what the clock says!

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is dangerous. Think of all the ref injuries from running.