• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hate to say it but...

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think writing is on wall for Denver to finish better than last year even. Not good. Let's face it, the Qb situation looks so far to be mirror of last season unless Sloter turns out to be some kind of miracle, the O line even if they start great can't afford one injury because the depth is sad. The D therefore will be once again exhausted by mid- season because of the 3-out bug and the probability of the Third and short / red zone inadequacies will once again be death sentence for division title/playoff berth. That's ok. Understand it's been a crap shoot trying to replace Elway and yes, Peyton. Maybe next year Kelly is god-send or Denver gets their guy in draft next year and one of them comes out " guns a blazin " before this great D falls apart, Denver can avoid a serious slump. I'm a true blue ,till death to I give up on my team, but not very confident that things might not go " south " for awhile. Hope I'm just paranoid. :)

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think writing is on wall for Denver to finish better than last year even. Not good. Let's face it, the Qb situation looks so far to be mirror of last season unless Sloter turns out to be some kind of miracle, the O line even if they start great can't afford one injury because the depth is sad. The D therefore will be once again exhausted by mid- season because of the 3-out bug and the probability of the Third and short / red zone inadequacies will once again be death sentence for division title/playoff berth. That's ok. Understand it's been a crap shoot trying to replace Elway and yes, Peyton. Maybe next year Kelly is god-send or Denver gets their guy in draft next year and one of them comes out " guns a blazin " before this great D falls apart, Denver can avoid a serious slump. I'm a true blue ,till death to I give up on my team, but not very confident that things might not go " south " for awhile. Hope I'm just paranoid. :)
Man! I think I got the " Crash " syndrome lately. No offense . This 5+7 kindle is a bitch huh Crash? I know buddy. :)

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only one game lots of things good can happen. Right now is how glad we are NFL is back. Too soon to even project what 2017 will be. Sit back watch this team grow and get better.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only one game lots of things good can happen. Right now is how glad we are NFL is back. Too soon to even project what 2017 will be. Sit back watch this team grow and get better.
I'm with ya buddy. Mostly always I have optimistic attitude. Something don't feel right to me this year and that ain't normal. I'll be rooting for your positivity vs my scepticism for sure. :)

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with ya buddy. Mostly always I have optimistic attitude. Something don't feel right to me this year and that ain't normal. I'll be rooting for your positivity vs my scepticism for sure. :)

You rock buddy

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You know the world is coming to an end when the two of us can agree. Starting to have that same feeling. Maybe I'm just trying to keep my hopes from getting too big and being disappointed.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record - I'm still lapping the Kool-Aid out of a bucket. There wasn't enough series to see anything for importance. While the 3rd stringers were going for it in the play calling the 1 and 2nd team were pretty conventional.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn... Debbie Downer over here wants to give up on the season after 1 pre-season game? Geez... let's play some meaningful minutes before you start burning your jerseys, man...

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:). Believe it or not, I think we could be on our way to some troubling years. God knows we've had a unbelievable good run for many years and sometimes, it's just inevitable that you go thru a ....like rebuild time. I've been Bronco fan from '60s and seen a lot of dismissal mediocre years ,so I feel pretty blessed to see how the Broncos have not only persevered but won Championships in my time. Some of you youngsters grew up with Denver excellence and never had to go thru the tough times. Don't blame ya. They've been so consistent for your duration. Your spoiled. Understandable. :)

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we have the exact same QB production as last year but our Running game gets better thanks to an improved O-Line we're instantly better off. And sure if was just a few drives but this O-line looks miles better than the unit we had last year.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't feel this way at all. I think the biggest factor that does have me worried is will the O-line improve from last year's dismal level to a level that allows the offense as whole to improve. That's the key. If O-line play improves I believe QB production will follow, and RB production as well.

With that said, I have two nagging doubts: The first is the valid question of will the O-line actually improve? It's been another overhaul and we have no idea what to expect: will they be adequate or is it going to be square one here with Siemian or Lynch having to update all the clauses in their life insurance policies before kickoff every week. The second issue that is emerging to me as a major concern is it is clearly evident this year is our turn with the injury bug. Injuries happen to every team, no doubt but it does seem like some teams some years just get an unlucky breakout of injuries and can't get a break. So far we've been fortunate that the major injuries will have guys returning a week or two into the regular season, but the trend of all these camp injuries is beginning to worry me. Doesn't it seem that they come in bunches? That injuries function more like a breakout of a serious disease than chance contacts here and there?

I balance my expectations for the season between the hope/confidence of improved O-line play and the possibility it won't happen, combined with this emerging injury issue.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's face it - certainly with long franchise history of John Elway and Peyton Manning - the Denver Bronco franchise feels like it has wondered into the wilderness - where the status quo best is Jake Plummer and Brian Griese. At best - the Bronco QB situation will be either of those two. Of course, winning a Super Bowl with a Plummer or Griese level QB is doable with the right playmakers in palace on offense and defense - but it will be something new for the Broncos - historically.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's face it - certainly with long franchise history of John Elway and Peyton Manning - the Denver Bronco franchise feels like it has wondered into the wilderness - where the status quo best is Jake Plummer and Brian Griese. At best - the Bronco QB situation will be either of those two. Of course, winning a Super Bowl with a Plummer or Griese level QB is doable with the right playmakers in palace on offense and defense - but it will be something new for the Broncos - historically.

Generally it's something new for any team that wins a SB in the manner you've described. Whether it's been a QB who wasn't considered top-tier who led his team to its first SB win (Dilfer, Johnson, even Wilson) or a guy with marginally strong production who has the right team around him and has everything click at the right time (Flacco) it's generally a "new" thing for any given team to win a SB in the way you've described. I don't see the Broncos as any worse off than any team in that regard. Those teams didn't jump out as obvious favorites the year they won it all. As I recall, the 2015 Broncos didn't jump out as obvious favorites either, with some prognosticators predicting they'd miss the playoffs!

The NFL this year has one clear favorite: the New England Patriots. Beneath them are a bevy of teams that can conceivably contend but have fair questions. For example, it's easy to look at the Falcons and assume with an incrementally improved defense they're going to be right back at it, but they've also lost their OC and are set up for the worst SB hangover of all time. Or the Raiders, who the media considers a SB contender but in reality they likely are heading for an 8-8 or 9-7 type season based on past teams with so many close wins (Raiders +31 is the lowest scoring differential of any 12-4 team in NFL history). There are a couple of other teams out there who will always get more favorable media commentary when they're even a semblance of competitive so that "contender" discussion likely includes a few other teams that probably really shouldn't be included. (On a side note, despite the Broncos being one of the most popular teams in the country, they are not one of those "media favorite" teams. Sports media sort of just "puts up with" the Broncos when they're good. When they're marginal, they may as well be in the running for a top 3 draft pick to hear the media discuss it. When they're good enough the media lists them among contenders, they are probably legitimately good.)

The truth is the heavy favorites don't always win. If this were the case the Patriots would have several more SB wins, and the years they didn't win, the Cowboys and Packers would have. Like I said above, nobody included the 2012 Ravens in the Super Bowl contender discussion, certainly not as clear favorites. That the Broncos do not APPEAR to have a transcendent type QB on their roster right now does not mean we should dismiss their chances simply because their 3 Super Bowl wins have come from QBs who were literally as large as the game itself. Other teams win with lesser QBs, and the Broncos can as well.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Generally it's something new for any team that wins a SB in the manner you've described. Whether it's been a QB who wasn't considered top-tier who led his team to its first SB win (Dilfer, Johnson, even Wilson) or a guy with marginally strong production who has the right team around him and has everything click at the right time (Flacco) it's generally a "new" thing for any given team to win a SB in the way you've described. I don't see the Broncos as any worse off than any team in that regard. Those teams didn't jump out as obvious favorites the year they won it all. As I recall, the 2015 Broncos didn't jump out as obvious favorites either, with some prognosticators predicting they'd miss the playoffs!

The NFL this year has one clear favorite: the New England Patriots. Beneath them are a bevy of teams that can conceivably contend but have fair questions. For example, it's easy to look at the Falcons and assume with an incrementally improved defense they're going to be right back at it, but they've also lost their OC and are set up for the worst SB hangover of all time. Or the Raiders, who the media considers a SB contender but in reality they likely are heading for an 8-8 or 9-7 type season based on past teams with so many close wins (Raiders +31 is the lowest scoring differential of any 12-4 team in NFL history). There are a couple of other teams out there who will always get more favorable media commentary when they're even a semblance of competitive so that "contender" discussion likely includes a few other teams that probably really shouldn't be included. (On a side note, despite the Broncos being one of the most popular teams in the country, they are not one of those "media favorite" teams. Sports media sort of just "puts up with" the Broncos when they're good. When they're marginal, they may as well be in the running for a top 3 draft pick to hear the media discuss it. When they're good enough the media lists them among contenders, they are probably legitimately good.)

The truth is the heavy favorites don't always win. If this were the case the Patriots would have several more SB wins, and the years they didn't win, the Cowboys and Packers would have. Like I said above, nobody included the 2012 Ravens in the Super Bowl contender discussion, certainly not as clear favorites. That the Broncos do not APPEAR to have a transcendent type QB on their roster right now does not mean we should dismiss their chances simply because their 3 Super Bowl wins have come from QBs who were literally as large as the game itself. Other teams win with lesser QBs, and the Broncos can as well.

It is definitely easy to get way up or way down after watching a very shortened performance by our players. The 2 QB's had what 16 attempts between the two of them? Obviously way too small of a sample size to say one way or the other of how they will perform during the season. Now yes how they performed in the game lines up some with what they have done in practice. One thing I'm trying to keep in mind is that this offense has some new faces and is a completely different system. That takes time to get into place and going against our defense day in and day out makes it hard to really work on things because they are so disruptive to any kind of timing. I do like the fact that I have heard a lot of defensive players talk this offense up this year. The last 2 it was more of a "oh that's cute that they are trying" to this year of "they are physical and are not backing down from us at all."

To me this week is huge for the beginning part of this season. The joint practices for these QB's will go a long way in either giving them some confidence moving forward or showing that they are not ready for the big stage. Hoping one of them steps up.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely have not given up on this season at this point. I'm doing much better today than after watching our first preseason game. I think part of it is I spent the entire game with a computer in front of me taking notes of the good and some of the bad that was going on. When you are trying to nitpick well you are going to find something.

And that 2015 season should teach us that anything can happen. I think every one of our playoff games the Broncos were the underdogs. In fact against the Pats and Panthers how many times did we hear of people predicting blow out? Now yes not all the pieces of that team are still in place but some of the key guys are still here. The one thing I love reading is just the focus this team has this year compared to last. They openly admit they had a Super Bowl hang over but are going into this season with a very different mentality.

Remember our division all the teams have some different turmoil going on. Raiders have fans upset with them about moving to Vegas. They have their LT that still hasn't reported to camp which would be a big blow if that went into the season. Expectations can make very talented teams collapse. Raiders are being hyped up left and right like the division should just be handed to them so how do they handle that?

For the Chiefs they have had a very weird offseason with cutting Maclin, firing GM, to that of Hali going off on the organization and how they conduct business.

For the Chargers well already lost their top-2 draft picks most likely for the year. Just moved to a new stadium that even with it only being like 30,000 people they still can't fill the stadium unless visiting fans buy tickets. Heck the soccer team that plays their sold more tickets. Can't be good for morale of the team.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that 2015 season should teach us that anything can happen. I think every one of our playoff games the Broncos were the underdogs. In fact against the Pats and Panthers how many times did we hear of people predicting blow out?

Very true I do remember that, if I recall I think I was the only one who had any faith in that team.

But on a more serious note it's hard to evaluate someone when they only play a few drives in their very first game of the year. Rust affects people differently especially young players(as evidence by all the players who have great 1st years and shitty 2nd years or vice versa). The first Preseason game is kind of a crap shoot because everyone is excited to see the Broncos play for the 1st time but forget that you can't really accomplish much by only playing 25 snaps or so and half of those you're just handing the ball off.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very true I do remember that, if I recall I think I was the only one who had any faith in that team.

But on a more serious note it's hard to evaluate someone when they only play a few drives in their very first game of the year. Rust affects people differently especially young players(as evidence by all the players who have great 1st years and shitty 2nd years or vice versa). The first Preseason game is kind of a crap shoot because everyone is excited to see the Broncos play for the 1st time but forget that you can't really accomplish much by only playing 25 snaps or so and half of those you're just handing the ball off.

All very true. It is part of why so many penalties get called in preseason interrupting drives as players are just trying to get their feet underneath them. I thought Siemian did do a decent job handling the moment and was decently accurate for a 1st preseason game. My biggest thing with him was the issues we saw last year of throwing short on 3rd down and not taking the big throw down the field were still there. Again 7 throws though hard to see much of anything. With Paxton you could tell hew as amped up. That is when you usually overthrow WR's and well he did that for sure. Seemed like once he calmed down things started looking a little better. Started out the game going 1-4. After that he went 5-6 (understand one of his incompletions there was a holding call on Stephenson so I counted that one as well). So again such a small sample size we just don't know if Siemian say was given more time would he have shown he can be aggressive. With Lynch was the 1-4 start how he would have continued or would he look more like he did after the first 2 drives where he calmed down a bit. Won't know until a bigger sample size is available.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man! I think I got the " Crash " syndrome lately. No offense . This 5+7 kindle is a bitch huh Crash? I know buddy. :)
How the heck you know I would be on a Kendal ...you a mind reader

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All very true. It is part of why so many penalties get called in preseason interrupting drives as players are just trying to get their feet underneath them. I thought Siemian did do a decent job handling the moment and was decently accurate for a 1st preseason game. My biggest thing with him was the issues we saw last year of throwing short on 3rd down and not taking the big throw down the field were still there. Again 7 throws though hard to see much of anything. With Paxton you could tell hew as amped up. That is when you usually overthrow WR's and well he did that for sure. Seemed like once he calmed down things started looking a little better. Started out the game going 1-4. After that he went 5-6 (understand one of his incompletions there was a holding call on Stephenson so I counted that one as well). So again such a small sample size we just don't know if Siemian say was given more time would he have shown he can be aggressive. With Lynch was the 1-4 start how he would have continued or would he look more like he did after the first 2 drives where he calmed down a bit. Won't know until a bigger sample size is available.
I agree on the amount of penalties called in preseason games. If the refs weren't " barely " part-time guys that needed to get up to speed crap and were full time guys ( in the works ) the games would prob be not as " Bigley " aggravating with all the flags, and give these players a better chance to get some rhythm/ timing/ cohesiveness which has already taken a toll with the recent alterations to time spent practicing,etc. You would think if they were full time refs, they'd be more inclined to ease up on the penalties and help with flow of games that many people are not even bothering to stay tuned too when you watch for 15 mins and see 15 penalties. Some times I get so frustrated/ irritated I almost grab kindle and ck out the " This forum is boring this week " thread on SH-la. Almost. ;)