• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Good riddance David Stern

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stern is not even close to being the best commish in sports. At best he would be a distant third with both the NFL's last 2 commissioners way way ahead of him. The NFL's revenue dwarfs the NBA & so does the % increase in revenue over the last decade. On top of that, NBA's popularity has been slipping for a while. They are barely outpacing the NHL for the 5th most popular league. Any gains in revenue over the last decade came from overseas.

Stern is closer to being Vince McMahon than he is being the best commissioner in sports.

David Stern, child please!

You just looking at it within this country. Im talking about what Stern did global with this sport. Look where the NBA was when he first took over, then look at it now. Stern resume is great.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just looking at it within this country. Im talking about what Stern did global with this sport. Look where the NBA was when he first took over, then look at it now. Stern resume is great.

Let's not forget how much DR. Buss had to do with this, by bringing back playoff games back live to TV instead of replay only & Cable, making court side seats for fans & more entertainment to the game all around. Showtime Lakers & the Celtics in the 80's is what began the turning point, but a lot of these youngsters don't know shit about it.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That really was the most bogus trade in NBA history. Having Aaron McKie, who was an assistant coach for Philly at the time, unretire so that they could send him in the trade to equal out the money, was the biggest bunch of BS ever.

this trade wasn't as unfair as people think, but the McKie part was pure brilliance...

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the Stern conspiracies and "Stern is the Devil" are laughable. Other than Bird and Magic no one, and I repeat NO ONE has done as much for the NBA. I know it's not hip to say that, but it's true and real NBA fans know it.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stern was just lucky to be commissioner at the right time. He had Bird, Magic, Kareem, MJ, Kobe and Lebron to increase the games popularity. The rise of the internet helped greatly in spreading the game globally. Stern wasn't special.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sure, he expanded globally at the cost of the NBA locally. And much of that global expansion can lay the feet of technology. Game day revenues & ticket sales have been going down for the last 10 years. Sure the owners are still making a profit through television & marketing deals, but mid to small market teams that rely heavily on people showing up to the games aren't seeing the type of money they once were. Global popularity means little to those owners when fans outside of the USA won't be showing up to games. This is where Stern has failed. No matter what the popularity of the NBA globally is, you can't deny that the quality of the product has decreased. This why there was a lockout & why small market owners took a hard stance & got their way in the last CBA.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this trade wasn't as unfair as people think, but the McKie part was pure brilliance...

I didn't say the trade was unfair, I said it was bogus. And it was. The trade as constructed with McKie should have never went through.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The popularity globally was inevitable. I live 4000 miles away and can catch any game live in HD. Just like I can watch live broadcasts from Australia to Brazil. The internet went from 0-60 in the space of just a few years and if the NBA hadn't caught up to that the league would be laughable. Stern had nothing to do with gaining popularity.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the day, people can hate Stern, but he was the best commissioner of all sports.

Good God how could you possibly think that, oh wait you're a Lakers fan, nevermind...

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the day, people can hate Stern, but he was the best commissioner of all sports.

images

pistlpete

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The faster Stern dies and is 6 feet under, the happier I'll be. I want to be able to piss on his grave. Long live the Sonics.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The faster Stern dies and is 6 feet under, the happier I'll be. I want to be able to piss on his grave. Long live the Sonics.

Bit harsh! I never wish death on anyone but I can certainly understand your anger. He's cost the city of Seattle millions!

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the Stern conspiracies and "Stern is the Devil" are laughable. Other than Bird and Magic no one, and I repeat NO ONE has done as much for the NBA. I know it's not hip to say that, but it's true and real NBA fans know it.

There's a guy named Michael Jordan that might take issue with this statement.