• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Gold Medal Game - Canada vs Sweden

quoipourquoi

Did Not Fuck Leesha/Sarah
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congratulations to all of the Canadians! Especially Martin St. Louis. I would have hated to see him go without one, because he's been one of the best players in the world since the last Olympics. Nice to see Crosby and Kunitz score some in the last game.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yzerman steps down as Team Canada executive director

And from the comments section:

Obvious choice to replace him would be kevin lowe he hasnt had a chance to succeed in edmonton but theres no denying he has been a leader pulling the strings behind all 3 gold medal wins i say give him the next shot

Last edited by a moderator:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ZUccYEd.jpg

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
this shoulda been right at the top of the thread...

BhKdcxQCIAAF3JN.jpg:large

Zwings40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
here's a article I found from on Backstrom:
https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olym...ld-medal-game-over-banned-171705702--nhl.html

an interesting comment from a poster was this:
"During an ongoing post game press conference about the Nicklas Bäckström situation the following has been said:

The Swedish leadership is highly critical of why notice was given to Team Sweden 2 hours before the game and 4 days after the positive test was found, rather than within 24 hours after the test, which is the rule. Moreover, the B-test should be done within hours after that, but that has not yet been done, also not following the rules.

It is also questioned why Bäckström recieved a one game suspension when the same thing led to a warning in Vancouver.

The IIHF chief medical officer makes it clear that they see Nicklas Bäckström as an innocent victim of circumstances and do not feel that he has intentionally done doping. The IIHF also pleaded with the IOC to let Bäckström play the gold medal game, but the IOC have the final word and wouldn't allow it."

...just to add a little more controversy ;)

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is also questioned why Bäckström recieved a one game suspension when the same thing led to a warning in Vancouver.

Because in 2010 lubi visnovsky filled out that magic form backstrom didnt, couldnt or wouldnt

The banned substance was contained in anti-cold medication Visnovsky had been taking after consultation with Team Slovakia’s physician Dalimir Jancovic, and Oilers’ trainer Ken Lowe. Visnovsky had included information about the medication in the pre-doping control form, adding he was not aware the substance was on the banned list.

Zwings40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If the other individual filled out a form then why would he have ever received a warning? Just seems like there is more to the situation.

Zwings40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
From reading further articles on ESPN I've found these further things:

1) "Backstrom provided the urine test in question on Wednesday, after the Swedes' quarterfinal win over Slovenia. He alerted doping officials that he was taking the medication. According to Swedish and International Ice Hockey Federation officials, the normal turnaround for such tests is 48 hours, and yet the general manager of the Swedish national team was informed that Backstrom had exceeded the threshold for an element found in the medication only two hours before the gold-medal game."

Source: 2014 Sochi Olympics - The drug-testing process failed Sweden's Nicklas Backstrom - ESPN

2) ""It is our further understanding that the positive test was the result of a common allergy medication taken by the player knowingly, with the approval of the team doctor and without the intention of gaining an illegal or improper performance-enhancing benefit. In addition, the specific substance that resulted in the positive test is not currently on the League's Prohibited Substances List."

Source: 2014 Sochi Olympics -- Sweden top center Nicklas Backstrom tests positive for banned substance - ESPN

Lastly: I guess we will have to wait for more information to come out to find out exactly what happened... but it looks shady to me. 1) Doping officials were informed. 2) it was sanctioned by the team doctors.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Real_ESPNLeBrun: Crosby: "Iran nummer ett! Kanada nummer ett! Sverige *spit*"

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yzerman steps down as Team Canada executive director

And from the comments section:

Obvious choice to replace him would be kevin lowe he hasnt had a chance to succeed in edmonton but theres no denying he has been a leader pulling the strings behind all 3 gold medal wins i say give him the next shot

back to back golds. he earned that rest. unlikely nhl is in korea.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From reading further articles on ESPN I've found these further things:

1) "Backstrom provided the urine test in question on Wednesday, after the Swedes' quarterfinal win over Slovenia. He alerted doping officials that he was taking the medication. According to Swedish and International Ice Hockey Federation officials, the normal turnaround for such tests is 48 hours, and yet the general manager of the Swedish national team was informed that Backstrom had exceeded the threshold for an element found in the medication only two hours before the gold-medal game."

Source: 2014 Sochi Olympics - The drug-testing process failed Sweden's Nicklas Backstrom - ESPN

2) ""It is our further understanding that the positive test was the result of a common allergy medication taken by the player knowingly, with the approval of the team doctor and without the intention of gaining an illegal or improper performance-enhancing benefit. In addition, the specific substance that resulted in the positive test is not currently on the League's Prohibited Substances List."

Source: 2014 Sochi Olympics -- Sweden top center Nicklas Backstrom tests positive for banned substance - ESPN

Lastly: I guess we will have to wait for more information to come out to find out exactly what happened... but it looks shady to me. 1) Doping officials were informed. 2) it was sanctioned by the team doctors.

It sounds like Backstrom informed doping officials during or after the test. And team doctors can sanction whatever they want - if they don't inform the IOC or fill out the proper paperwork it doesn't really mean shit.

Doesn't look shady at all - looks like a monumental fuck up on the part if team Sweden. Known banned substance, team knew Backstrom was taking it, and they didn't inform the IOC beforehand. Now the are pointing the finger at everyone but themselves.

Zwings40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It sounds like Backstrom informed doping officials during or after the test. And team doctors can sanction whatever they want - if they don't inform the IOC or fill out the proper paperwork it doesn't really mean shit.

Doesn't look shady at all - looks like a monumental fuck up on the part if team Sweden. Known banned substance, team knew Backstrom was taking it, and they didn't inform the IOC beforehand. Now the are pointing the finger at everyone but themselves.

I guess you're right. Letting team Sweden know 2 hours before the start of the game is as legit as it gets. Sorry for bringing the issue up.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you're right. Letting team Sweden know 2 hours before the start of the game is as legit as it gets. Sorry for bringing the issue up.

That is my issue as well. If we are going to hold Sweden to following the letter of the law in regards to filling out a form for cold medicine, then the IOC needs to follow the same rules just as strictly with notifying the team of the result/punishment.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is my issue as well. If we are going to hold Sweden to following the letter of the law in regards to filling out a form for cold medicine, then the IOC needs to follow the same rules just as strictly with notifying the team of the result/punishment.

Sorry, what rule is that? I haven't seen any mention of an actual rule, just allegations of 'normal turnaround'. I could be wrong of course but until I see something concrete it just sounds okie blame deflection.

I think Backstrom was a victim of circumstance, but that circumstance was Swedish team doctors not properly checking his medication. They thought he would be under the legal threshold; he wasn't. Would it have been nice if he got the results back earlier to appeal? Definitely. But is that the IOC's priority when they are testing hundreds of athletes? Should Backstrom get priority over some cross country skier?

If his b sample comes back negative, or someone can quote a rule stating the results were due sooner, I will change my tune. But for now, it sure looks like Swedish team officials blaming everyone but themselves.

I've known multiple Olympians and they all knew to be extra careful around cold, sinus, flu, allergy, etc... medications. I'm just astonished Sweden dropped the ball so poorly.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right, the quote said IIHF officials and I mistook it for IOC officials. I do not know if there is a stated time frame to notify an athlete but I really don't feel like researching it. But I will say if the normal time is 48 hours and that allows for an athlete to submit a secondary sample, and the IOC took almost twice that time frame (which meant that Backstrom is then not afforded the opportunity to defend himself), I think that is bullshit.

I don't know about any intentions as alleged in a couple of articles but it is a shame for the athlete and the fans.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The limit is 150 micrograms/mL, the half-life calculations that I have seen estimate that the maximum dose of Zyrtec-D taken by someone Backstrom's size would put him in the ballpark of 55 micrograms/mL at the time of the test. He pissed 190 micrograms/mL.

Here's the anti-doping commission's medical director commenting on same... it's Finnish so doesn't translate perfectly, but I think we can still guess what he means by "it should be enjoyed at least at least three times larger than what has been agreed with the doctor, and even the smells would be secure"

Seppälä tyrmää ruotsalaiskäryn vahinko-väitteet - MTV.fi - Urheilu - Sotshi 2014 - Uutiset

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am still exhausted from Sunday morning lol

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree:

Bolded is the key part of this IMO. You can sing from the rooftops and have it tattooed on your forehead, if it's not on the proper form it didn't happen.

I use this line often:
the-rules-they-may-be-stupid-arbitrary-and-irritating-but-god-help-you-if-you-break-them.jpg

If you don't like the rules, fight to change them. Don't just break them for the sake of breaking them and then bitch when you get slapped. Sweden blew it. Trying to claim injustice at the timing is just deflection. "They caught us at an inopportune time!"