• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Going forward into next season

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just got an inside scoop on a few things. According to some of the players, Grimes' knowledge and understanding is lightyears ahead of Newsome's.(not a big shock but good to hear) Grimes is also apparently a pretty big hard ass pushing and preaching toughness and working the guys in their voluntary stuff the OL does together. (he isnt hands on because he cant be yet but he passes the words on to the players kind of deal). Also the playbook seems to be about 60/40 run plays from what i've heard and Leoffler appears to be a funny guy with the team from what i've heard.

Some notes on players. They are moving a few guys around on the OL to add onto what hokiegrad listed. Wang is getting some work at center and will in the spring. Acree moved to OG. Conte has been working with the first team guys some in the voluntary stuff they do as group. Conte is also up to 295lbs.

Gibson at guard is suprising....who in the world is going to start at the tackle positions this year?

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess would be Shuman and Conte. I don't know that Gibson is out of the running there. He's flipped back and forth between OG and RT the last couple years, and could easily move back. Hokiesports doesn't reflect Acree's move to OG yet. For all we know, Shuman could be moving back to OT and that update just hasn't been posted either.

Thanks for the info, Nick. I am pumped to see how the line looks this spring...

Fetti

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I was told one of Trey Edmund's 40's was hand-timed at 4.33 (obviously a VT time) but still crazy in comparison.

The kid is a stud. I just wish he had a few weeks before 'Bama.

rockhead44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was told one of Trey Edmund's 40's was hand-timed at 4.33 (obviously a VT time) but still crazy in comparison.

The kid is a stud. I just wish he had a few weeks before 'Bama.

Cavanaugh said last year that he would be one of the best players we've ever had step foot on campus. Coming from Cav, that really resonated with me.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So while we wait on Spring Ball info, maybe we can discuss the first game of the season with our opener against Bama.

In speaking with some of the "Bammers," they tend to think we will be "embarrased."

Thoughts?

Personally:
I think this game mainly hinges on how well our o-line will be able to protect and how well we can get push up front to run the ball. Our RB (Edmunds) will need to step it up and "play to hit."

I think we will also need a break on ST (not just hope we don't fuck it up, but actually play a REAL game with Beamer Ball).

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
coming off last season, and with peoples expectations....i dont think we can get embarassed in this one. either peoples expectations will be met, and they'll beat the snot out of us...or we make it a game, or possibly even win and surprise a lot of people out there.

to make this a game, we are going to need major improvements in virtually all aspects of the game, compared to last years performance

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't think it's very likely that we're embarrassed. The defense should be good enough to keep that from happening. Even bammers should know that...

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't think it's very likely that we're embarrassed. The defense should be good enough to keep that from happening. Even bammers should know that...

But weren't we saying the same thing about our defense last year? The defense only looked like a Bud Foster led defense in games against FSU and Rutgers....and I guess UVA, but that ain't saying much.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I REALLY like our d-line against their new o-line. I dont think we'll get embarrassed. Of course, i can change my mind after spring. Really hope some playmakers step up on offense.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But weren't we saying the same thing about our defense last year? The defense only looked like a Bud Foster led defense in games against FSU and Rutgers....and I guess UVA, but that ain't saying much.

I hear ya, but they were playing pretty well by the end of the year. I think we may take a (hopefully small) step back to start the year (losing BT and Tweedy hurts, as does Exum's injury), but overall I think we're in a better situation than we were last spring, and should take another step forward on the year. Breaking it down by position group:

Secondary -- more settled than it was last year, even without Exum (Jarrett and Bonner aren't new, and Fuller is more settled at CB)

Linebackers -- where I have the most concern, but this was a big issue last year as well (adjustment period with BT moving to backer, which was not a natural fit + continuous struggle to find the right whip). This year, Tyler is well established at mike, but will Tariq be 100% and have the rust knocked off in week 1? Will RVD have settled into the whip position? I think we have better backer depth than last year, but less whip depth. Call it a push?

D-Line -- should be a year better, with even more talent working its way up and pushing the guys at the top. Losing Hop should not be a significant factor barring DT injuries.

amszete

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Dadi gets alot more starting time next year. He plays like a rabid dog and good things seem to happen when he is in...

I am not a fan of Bonner and hope that Kendall can come in and immediately contribute...

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My opinion is while its fun to say #BEATBAMA, reality is probably #Staywithin3TDsofBama

amszete

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My opinion is while its fun to say #BEATBAMA, reality is probably #Staywithin3TDsofBama

It's not fun - it's just desire. Honestly I feel the same about this game as I did in 2002 when we played #16 LSU. While we had Kevin Jones/Suggs, we had alot of unknowns at the time if I recall - especially on offense. We had an unproven Bryan Randall who in reality played mediocre at best that year. Grant Noel was just plain bad. Our receivers like Ernest Wilford (who turned out to be pretty decent towards the end of their careers) were playing mediciocre. But we had a pretty good D. Our OL (i.e. Jake Grove) turned out to be pretty solid but we had some newer faces who still needed to prove themselves as well.

This is what I love about college football - while a few people are expecting a big loss, I think if the offensive staff/players kick it up a knotch - this team could suprise.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not getting pumped till I actually see something with my own eyes be it at the spring game or in the season. I pretty much blow off all of our coach hype now. That's what happens after years and years of stuff like "the O-line is looking really good and progressing" and then the season comes around and they're still as big a weakness as ever.

jgHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so why no christian reeves on the roster on hokiesports?