• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Going forward into next season

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Because that's the definition of hit-and-run.

Ummm, maybe. There might be some gray area, since he didn't leave the area -- there are reports that he was a block away.

Are you also in agreement with the decision to charge guys with a felony account of "detonating an explosive device" for putting toilet bowl cleaner and aluminum in a plastic bottle? There was the lack of judgment in pulling the prank, but another one in charging the students with a felony.

I think sometimes the police could use a bit of judgment themselves. Why brand a guy for life with a criminal record if this could be avoided and the lesson still learned?

Rocco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ummm, maybe. There might be some gray area, since he didn't leave the area -- there are reports that he was a block away.

Are you also in agreement with the decision to charge guys with a felony account of "detonating an explosive device" for putting toilet bowl cleaner and aluminum in a plastic bottle? There was the lack of judgment in pulling the prank, but another one in charging the students with a felony.

I think sometimes the police could use a bit of judgment themselves. Why brand a guy for life with a criminal record if this could be avoided and the lesson still learned?

If he left the scene then he left the scene, even if it was just a block. The law is pretty clear- you need to stay as close as you can to the scene of the accident and wait for law enforcement to arrive. It's a felony charge not so much because he bolted but because he did more than $1k of damage, and will likely turn into a misdemeanor since he has no record and no one was hurt.

It's not that uncommon for police to charge the worst possible charge they can make against someone knowing that it will get reduced through a plea bargain. I had a client charged with wearing a mask in public (a felony) when he pulled his hood down over his face in school. We worked it out to something lower. It's part of negotiation- you come in high to eventually get what you want.

You could say that people learn without getting a criminal record, but often people don't learn unless there's some negative consequence, especially for athletes who are used to getting what they want.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he left the scene then he left the scene, even if it was just a block. The law is pretty clear- you need to stay as close as you can to the scene of the accident and wait for law enforcement to arrive. It's a felony charge not so much because he bolted but because he did more than $1k of damage, and will likely turn into a misdemeanor since he has no record and no one was hurt.

It's not that uncommon for police to charge the worst possible charge they can make against someone knowing that it will get reduced through a plea bargain. I had a client charged with wearing a mask in public (a felony) when he pulled his hood down over his face in school. We worked it out to something lower. It's part of negotiation- you come in high to eventually get what you want.

You could say that people learn without getting a criminal record, but often people don't learn unless there's some negative consequence, especially for athletes who are used to getting what they want.

Wait am I reading that correctly? I can't put on a halloween mask and go walking down the street? And I'll be charged with a felony for that!!!

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wait am I reading that correctly? I can't put on a halloween mask and go walking down the street? And I'll be charged with a felony for that!!!

Looks like you'll get charged with a felony for wearing a hoodie.

Who knew?

Rocco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

There's an exception for "traditional holiday costumes". I'm serious.

Legislative Information System

It's meant to be used as another charge to throw at bank robbers, but in practice it's not used that way. Sorry for the digression.

m477hokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol this is beyond off topic. I saw on virginiatechfan.com that it is expected that Holland Fisher won't qualify? Really bad news I think if that is the case. Seems like it makes the most sense for Kyle Fuller to slide out and replace Exum rather than throwing a sophmore or freshman out there. Kendall probably isn't ready for bama in his first ever college game, so I guess Manning and Riley will be most competing for that spot? Who would you guys rather have in that position?

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I really like Grimes. This is from Andy Bitter's column:

"Building an offensive line capable of paving the way for those kind of numbers will be his mission at Virginia Tech, a task made more difficult by the departure of senior offensive tackles Nick Becton and Vinston Painter and utility lineman Michael Via. Grimes thinks it starts by forging a camaraderie.

“If you look around on a football field and what everybody else is doing, they’re kind of playing football and doing stuff that they did when they were growing up in the backyard,” he said. “When you look over at us, you go, ‘Man, those guys are grunting for a living.’ …

“So I think going through the grind together is something that builds unity within that group. … It’s got to be done, because the five of us have to play more closely together in terms of communication and trust than any other position on the field. And because you have to do that, it’s non-negotiable on my part, you have to make sure that it does happen.”

I think they're going to be OK...

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Lol this is beyond off topic. I saw on virginiatechfan.com that it is expected that Holland Fisher won't qualify? Really bad news I think if that is the case. Seems like it makes the most sense for Kyle Fuller to slide out and replace Exum rather than throwing a sophmore or freshman out there. Kendall probably isn't ready for bama in his first ever college game, so I guess Manning and Riley will be most competing for that spot? Who would you guys rather have in that position?

Why do you think Holland won't qualify?

gobblercountry GobblerCountry.com

RT @chriscolston: #Hokies recruit Holland Fisher believes he's on track to qualify academically, according to Virginia Tech Hokies Football: HokieHaven.com

7 days ago

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

RT @chriscolston: #Hokies recruit Holland Fisher believes he's on track to qualify academically, according to Virginia Tech Hokies Football: HokieHaven.com

7 days ago

It's going to come down to the wire from what other people say. He had a poor start to his high school career, but has been catching up last year and this year. Time will tell.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's going to come down to the wire from what other people say. He had a poor start to his high school career, but has been catching up last year and this year. Time will tell.

Agreed. But that's different than "It's expected that he won't qualify."

I think the speculation is that it could go either way -- I prefer to think of it optimistically.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't worry. I've put on my voodoo hat and performed the necessary dance requirements and I can say that Exum will be medically ready to play in the Bama game. He's a quick healer

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of the young cornerbacks I have seen, I would want Riley out there over Manning. He played very well against FSU and UVA. He has more size and we are going to have to play press against Bama and have some over the top help, and hope like hell out DL can get pressure and our LBs can make tackles.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if Exum could be ready physically, I want that mental part of him to be 100% as well. Meaning he is 100% all in making plays which I can only imagine how hard that can be after coming back from such an injury. So hopefully the next person in line will be ready and oh yea - prefer for Bonner to sit the Bama game out. He tends to get burned alot.

Last edited by a moderator:

rockhead44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

7 days ago

I've followed recruiting since Screaming Lizard's site in 1996. The next recruit I see state "No way I'm qualifying" will be the first

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've followed recruiting since Screaming Lizard's site in 1996. The next recruit I see state "No way I'm qualifying" will be the first

Yes, and the next person who claims to be able to set the odds of qualifying without any facts at all will also be the first. That's called guessing, by the way, and is simply stating that the fact that there is any question at all about it means that they won't qualify.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Our kicker is an idiot. He set off a canister of pepper spray in BW3s and the place had to be cleared.

A BB gun and now pepper spray. We have a regular SAMCRO member on the team, eh.

What?

I'd love to believe you're kidding, but nothing about that would be funny.

*update* I read the CT article. At least nobody is pressing charges. It sounds like he was just being stupid/curious, without realizing the effects, and then immediately identified himself to the restaurant staff.

You're right though, he's not the brightest.