• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Going forward into next season

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whip is the hardest spot to play on the VT defense. It would most likely have been 2-3 years before McKinnon ever saw the field at whip. They are taking the RVD approach and gaining him some practice time in the secondary before expecting him to do similar things at whip. They do the same thing with almost all the whips. If they get a year under their belt at safety and the coaching staff feels they may have a shot at whip...they put them there.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think about this:

2014:

BC = Fuller
FC = Manning
Nickelback = Riley (I really like that kid's head man)
Rov = McKinnon
FS = Fisher

:shocked:

They might be swapped with McKinnon starting at FS in camp.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also can look at:

RVD at whip, Wright at Mike, Clarke at Backer for that year.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fuck, you could do a whole 2 deep if you want. Hopefully, by then we will be two deep across the board:

Jones, Smith, Harley, Marshall

True that.... then have the 2014 guys coming in after that...maaaaan

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't understand the need at RB now thing. Holmes, Scales, Coleman/Gregory BEFORE any true freshman come in. And hopefully Harris will join next spring. How many do they want?

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand the need at RB now thing. Holmes, Scales, Coleman/Gregory BEFORE any true freshman come in. And hopefully Harris will join next spring. How many do they want?

Not to slight anyone, but I don't want to be heavily reliant on Scales or Gregory for our run game. That leaves 2 guys that are totally unproven so far. I would assume Edmunds would have gone straight to LB if Harris was able to enroll this fall.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't like Gregory either but I thought I read Scales impressed people in the spring. They've got 3 solid guys now

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they are viewing JC and Scales as more of "situational" type backs right now, and not every down backs. They want a guy they can put in every down if Holmes gets injured, and if Edmunds shows more promise as that guy during summer camp he will... if not he will probably move to backer and take a redshirt.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I guess you've lost track of the topic. It was about me questioning why Beamer said that they needed RBs now and that's why Edmunds is starting out as a RB. Edmunds just adds to the unproven list

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The only thing I can think of is that they are worried about Coleman and don't want to say anything to the media. That's the only possible explanation. Nobody needs that many friggin running backs

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing I can think of is that they are worried about Coleman and don't want to say anything to the media. That's the only possible explanation. Nobody needs that many friggin running backs

I am sure they are worried about Coleman, Scales, Holmes and everyone as they have ZERO game tape to evaluate any of them. Meanwhile, they have two entrenched starters at Mike and one at Backer (with a backup that has two seasons in the system and some game tape).

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Coleman is a 5'7 175 pound true-freshman... do you really want him being the starting running back if Holmes goes down at this point when you haven't even seen him in a game? Neither do they. They are creating a backup plan.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think they are viewing JC and Scales as more of "situational" type backs right now, and not every down backs. They want a guy they can put in every down if Holmes gets injured, and if Edmunds shows more promise as that guy during summer camp he will... if not he will probably move to backer and take a redshirt.

I think that's a pretty good analysis of the situation. JC isn't a power back, he's more of a situational back in a committee. For that to work, you need a power back and a backup as well, so the numbers build quickly.