• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game of Thrones

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there were a couple no name wildlings who gave their lives to the cause beyond the wall. Jon doesn't mourn for them though. He mourns for the loss of a dragon. Those men who bravely gave their lives left families behind. They were also son's of someone. I hope they have the foresight to burn the bodies.

I don't know how animals become wights. I guess they have to be physically touched by the Night King, like the dragon? Are bears just naturally bigger beyond the wall?

I did jump when the bear attacked. That was pretty good.
That's a good question because even Jorah (his sigil is a bear) said he was a big fucker.
Wildling red shirts.

It is now obvious that certain re-animated figures are 'tied'/'bound' to a white walker if they are under their control. Jon sliced through a white walker and lots of re-animated skellies (wights) dropped. So, white walkers can exert some kind of control over these things. However, I would not call all of the reanimated beings 'white walkers'.

The Night's King has reanimated humans, giants, a polar bear, horses, and now a dragon.
My guess is that anything dead can be brought back that has not been burned.
Maybe even decapitated.

White walkers are created when an existing white walker touches a finger to a newborn baby humans head. I guess it has to be male. Which begs the many questions that I now have..... do white walkers go through puberty? Can they get acne? Does it take years for them to grow to full height? Or days?

Is it me or does the new Night's King actor have a big nose and is starting to look a lot like Bran....hmmmmmm.
The question is why are the wight animals roaming free when the dead men and horses who are wights are tightly controlled by the white walkers?

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question is why are the wight animals roaming free when the dead men and horses who are wights are tightly controlled by the white walkers?

The polar bear appeared to have better mobility.
Maybe it was a scout, out ahead of the regular undead army?
Though, I'm sure the Night's King must have come across a dead raven by now....

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a good question because even Jorah (his sigil is a bear) said he was a big fucker.

I think they mentioned the bear in the post show talky thing, saying they needed something to break up the long march through the snow, so they threw a bear in there.

Which makes me even more bothered by Gentry running back to the Wall so quickly.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but it isn't something that has bothered me until they got past the books. When they were following the source material, with slight changes here and there, I was ok. I loved it. But now, they are throwing together shit I just have issue with.

<sigh> You're making a big assumption again.

They're NOT throwing shit together. AGAIN, in George's own words, he writes from an outline, so even IF he was just 10% done with the next book, they'd STILL know exactly where he's going.

Not all authors write that way.

If GRRM wasn't one of those guys, then sure, your supposition would probably be spot on.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
<sigh> You're making a big assumption again.

They're NOT throwing shit together. AGAIN, in George's own words, he writes from an outline, so even IF he was just 10% done with the next book, they'd STILL know exactly where he's going.

Not all authors write that way.

If GRRM wasn't one of those guys, then sure, your supposition would probably be spot on.
I expect George's writing to be much better calculated.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are too big a fan of the series and the books to have any kind of objective view on this. If anyone has a comment on any of the material that is less than 100% adulation you will jump in with several comments about how they just don't understand, or they missed something. Failing to have anything in that bank you lean heavily on S.O.D.

The fact is the issues with season 7 are piling up and any non-biased observer can see it. Suspension of Disbelief is fine, but it should have a limit. Teleportation and timeline inconsistencies in the Doctor Who? Fine, the show premise fits it. In a fantasy series though? it is not really acceptable. For GoT I have no problem suspending disbelief for resurrections, magic, or dragons.

The root of the issue is of their own making, the books and the show did an unbelievable job of world building. So now when things need to condense it sticks out. The show is unraveling under a compressed timeline, you are just to close the the material to see it.

Nope, I'm not.

Look this is simple. You ever read comments on youtube?

This thread is like that.

And c'mon don't bs a bs'er. ill is a perfect example. He agrees with someone else that he likes the fucking show MORE than the books. And yet he uses language like 'terrible' writing.

Pick one.

You guys are spoiled by the damn show you're now picking apart. People mentioning ravens? The capacity of flasks? FFS.

But I agree, the show IS a victim of having to condense. It always has had to do that (thus no Oldtown, no Golden Company, no zombie Catelyn, no, no, no, no etc etc etc.

Why is NOW any different than then?

I'll give you one guess.

It's because you don't have the luxury of having read the book first.

Boo-hoo.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Like his abysmal decision to split the POV's?

GRRM ain't perfect. (by his own admission).

Hubris and no editor will get you into all kinds of shenanigans. Despite my reputation as a blatant defender of all things ASOIAF and GOT, neither is perfect.

They're STILL seminal works. <shrug>

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, I'm not.

And c'mon don't bs a bs'er. ill is a perfect example. He agrees with someone else that he likes the fucking show MORE than the books. And yet he uses language like 'terrible' writing.

Pick one.

You guys are spoiled by the damn show you're now picking apart. People mentioning ravens? The capacity of flasks? FFS.

But I agree, the show IS a victim of having to condense. It always has had to do that (thus no Oldtown, no Golden Company, no zombie Catelyn, no, no, no, no etc etc etc.

I'll give you one guess.

Boo-hoo.
yet you talk down to anyone who posts in this thread. I would say the same shit if it was any kind of show and there was no source material. If the story has plot holes, I am going to pick up on them. If there is sloppy writing, I am going to criticize it.

This season has both.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yet you talk down to anyone who posts in this thread. I would say the same shit if it was any kind of show and there was no source material. If the story has plot holes, I am going to pick up on them. If there is sloppy writing, I am going to criticize it.

This season has both.

'Talk down.'

Pfft. It's a fucking message board sunshine. If I can fucking take it, you can too.

I'm going to criticize what I want to as well, JUST LIKE YOU.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As of right now, if we're going with calculations, he would have to live to be 170 to finish it the way he wants, so let me know how that works out..... :pound:

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of right now, if we're going with calculations, he would have to live to be 170 to finish it the way he wants, so let me know how that works out..... :pound:
this concerns me. He isn't exactly the pinnacle of healthy either.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This season has both.

It is what it is.
I can see the arguments for both.

At the end of the day, are you entertained by the show?
That's all that really matters.

Reactions: ill

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, I'm not.

Pick one.

I'll give you one guess.

Boo-hoo.

I am one that did not enjoy the books, so I have been without source material for most of it. And there is a MASSIVE difference for cutting out something (Like Zombie Catelyn) and condensing a seasons worth of plot into a single episode. The shows creators set an arbitrary season limit, and once it became clear it was not feasible they chose cut out all the story building that made the show so great in the beginning and turn it into action packed fan service. I am not saying that is not also entertaining, but it is a far cry from what made the show great to begin with.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so for the next episode, we have Brienne reuniting with Jaime and likely The Hound and Tormund? She is going to be a very busy lady.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am one that did not enjoy the books, so I have been without source material for most of it. And there is a MASSIVE difference for cutting out something (Like Zombie Catelyn) and condensing a seasons worth of plot into a single episode. The shows creators set an arbitrary season limit, and once it became clear it was not feasible they chose cut out all the story building that made the show so great in the beginning and turn it into action packed fan service. I am not saying that is not also entertaining, but it is a far cry from what made the show great to begin with.

I agree. I love the one on one scenes when two people are discussing 'game theory'.
To that extent, we have been spoiled by these subtle nuances and now the show has to wrap up.
So, I appreciate all the sentiments echoed on here.
Seldom right, never wrong.....

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so for the next episode, we have Brienne reuniting with Jaime and likely The Hound and Tormund? She is going to be a very busy lady.

but at the new pacing what will they do after those 5 minutes?

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I didn't get the impression that Tormund was going south.
Figured the gang at East Watch would reinforce Castle Black or make their way to Winterfell.
Not sure about Beric.
Maybe they are all going south.