• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GAME 9 - VT @ DUKE.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'd like to throw in my perspective about acouple comments:

Our defensive secondary blanketed in Duke receivers all day. You can't really see from the TV broadcast, but our corners were right on the receivers (about the same level of physical play as always- on the high side but within the rules). Duke receivers were trying to push off, but still couldn't get much space. There was a ton of animosity amongst the Duke receivers throughout the game about this and it clearly spread to the Duke team by the fourth quarter.

Tech players were rushing to help each other off the piles more than usual, I suspect a result of the previously mentioned comments from Gayle and Wilson. Clear, in the face style trash talk from Duke in the second half, along with your basic ref baiting tactics. I twice saw a Duke DLine player chop down a Tech Oline what I'd call "after the play". I CLEARLY saw Duke's defensive back #40 PUNCH DJ Coles. At one point during the second half, Duke's entire team was on the field jumping around. Very similar to the old Miami "logo stomp" routine. Some of it was the usual football stuff, but IMO there was some over the top crap going on too. Duke was in rare form Saturday - very bizarre behavior for Duke football. IMO, we should be proud our guys kept their cool, and I credit the coaches and captains on both O and D for huddling up every time they were off the field.

A few more observations:

We survived a horrible game. Defense was on edge. Offense was totally lost at one point. Special teams were horrible. But, again we survived.

As stated before, Tech's secondary was glued to Duke's receivers. Duke's usually efficient offense was extremely inefficient Saturday as a result. <50% completion. 0 TDs, 3 INTs, Eff Rating < 80. All worst for Duke this season. Their typical short passing game, got replaced by some desperation heaves, that unfortunately resulted in acouple PI calls. Besides the one drive with three 15 yard fouls on Tech, I was satisfied with the defense.

I thought that the offense lost confidence during the game. Combine that to the terrible field position we had and the turnovers, and it's not hard to understand why Tech scored so little. We piled up yards, but had tons of things going wrong. I think that once Beamer saw that Duke had no more confidence in their kicker, and that the defense had stabilized, the staff went into their shell.

David Wilson had a good performance, besides that weird fumble. Logan Thomas struggled and had a very weird fumble himself, but I think he had acouple bright spots, including staying calm during another tough win. My biggest beef on O was Marcus Davis: In person he didn't look like he wanted to be there, and the TV guys I saw on replay were on him too throughout the game.

WTF is up with the special teams this year? I know the guys are working hard, but the inconsistency is killing us. A 75 yard punt is great, but the whole long interception, review, overturn, shanked punt, sequence was way to predictable. We had our third weird KR muff, scramble, tackle deep in our territory play of the year. I give Weiss a one time pass for that field goal. He still should have made it, but he was never supposed to see the field, let alone play in an ACC road game. It's getting to the point where I might only feel comfortable with Danny Coale doing everything. This is something that must get fixed before GT. They're special teams are horrible and could be a huge advantage for us.

I was stressing big time during the game, but looking back I think our team is still alright. The Hokies aren't a great team this year, compared to the nation's best, but they're working together to grind out some wins. I think this was just one of those games when nothing goes right. It happens to very talented teams every year, and only a few teams can win games like we just did. Plus, the bye has come at a great time.

Go Hokies!

PS. Very cool to have the Highty Tighties at the game!

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to throw in my perspective about acouple comments:

Our defensive secondary blanketed in Duke receivers all day. You can't really see from the TV broadcast, but our corners were right on the receivers (about the same level of physical play as always- on the high side but within the rules). Duke receivers were trying to push off, but still couldn't get much space. There was a ton of animosity amongst the Duke receivers throughout the game about this and it clearly spread to the Duke team by the fourth quarter.

Tech players were rushing to help each other off the piles more than usual, I suspect a result of the previously mentioned comments from Gayle and Wilson. Clear, in the face style trash talk from Duke in the second half, along with your basic ref baiting tactics. I twice saw a Duke DLine player chop down a Tech Oline what I'd call "after the play". I CLEARLY saw Duke's defensive back #40 PUNCH DJ Coles. At one point during the second half, Duke's entire team was on the field jumping around. Very similar to the old Miami "logo stomp" routine. Some of it was the usual football stuff, but IMO there was some over the top crap going on too. Duke was in rare form Saturday - very bizarre behavior for Duke football. IMO, we should be proud our guys kept their cool, and I credit the coaches and captains on both O and D for huddling up every time they were off the field.

A few more observations:

We survived a horrible game. Defense was on edge. Offense was totally lost at one point. Special teams were horrible. But, again we survived.

As stated before, Tech's secondary was glued to Duke's receivers. Duke's usually efficient offense was extremely inefficient Saturday as a result. <50% completion. 0 TDs, 3 INTs, Eff Rating < 80. All worst for Duke this season. Their typical short passing game, got replaced by some desperation heaves, that unfortunately resulted in acouple PI calls. Besides the one drive with three 15 yard fouls on Tech, I was satisfied with the defense.

I thought that the offense lost confidence during the game. Combine that to the terrible field position we had and the turnovers, and it's not hard to understand why Tech scored so little. We piled up yards, but had tons of things going wrong. I think that once Beamer saw that Duke had no more confidence in their kicker, and that the defense had stabilized, the staff went into their shell.

David Wilson had a good performance, besides that weird fumble. Logan Thomas struggled and had a very weird fumble himself, but I think he had acouple bright spots, including staying calm during another tough win. My biggest beef on O was Marcus Davis: In person he didn't look like he wanted to be there, and the TV guys I saw on replay were on him too throughout the game.

WTF is up with the special teams this year? I know the guys are working hard, but the inconsistency is killing us. A 75 yard punt is great, but the whole long interception, review, overturn, shanked punt, sequence was way to predictable. We had our third weird KR muff, scramble, tackle deep in our territory play of the year. I give Weiss a one time pass for that field goal. He still should have made it, but he was never supposed to see the field, let alone play in an ACC road game. It's getting to the point where I might only feel comfortable with Danny Coale doing everything. This is something that must get fixed before GT. They're special teams are horrible and could be a huge advantage for us.

I was stressing big time during the game, but looking back I think our team is still alright. The Hokies aren't a great team this year, compared to the nation's best, but they're working together to grind out some wins. I think this was just one of those games when nothing goes right. It happens to very talented teams every year, and only a few teams can win games like we just did. Plus, the bye has come at a great time.

Go Hokies!

PS. Very cool to have the Highty Tighties at the game!

Nice analysis there sir.