• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GAME 9 - VT @ DUKE.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe it is ALREADY GAME 9. WTF - cfb is too short. Ok, on to discussions about Game 9. :)

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wallace Wade will sell out for the first time all year, being 68% Hokie fans

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wallace Wade will sell out for the first time all year, being 68% Hokie fans

I'll be there! That stadium was only a quarter full for the Duke-Wake game last week....pathetic.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LT will put up big numbers, DW will rush for ~150, VT will start slow but still win...

We really need to take control from the start for a change. That said, I'd rather struggle early like we have lately against Duke and save the complete game for Georgia Tech.:bounce:

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I can't believe it is ALREADY GAME 9. WTF - cfb is too short. Ok, on to discussions about Game 9. :)

I know! i deleted it because it became a bunch of rambling but in my op i said that i was kinda glad we played on the road this wk. i love going to games @ Lane but its an all day event and i've only seen about 4 or 5 non VT games this year. So im actually pretty stoked to sit on my couch and watch football.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
reports on twitter sound like tweedy is advancing quickly and maybe wont be out as long as expected.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would almost like gayle and hosely to sit this game out to rest up and get healthy.

duke is not a very good team, bottom line. this should be a win, and i see it being a big one. 48-21 hokies

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree to rest Gayle and Hosley. We will need them healthy for GT and the experience the back ups get will benefit us more in depth later. The key to getting our guys rest is the offense coming out hot early and getting us up big at the half.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i say we get david wilson more than 7 carries in the first half..

HokieChamp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Score big and fast and rest the D. That should be the strategy.

hokiecat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i say we get david wilson more than 7 carries in the first half..

No kidding. This is an opportunity for Wilson to pad his stats as the NCAA's leading rusher. Aside from the light duty in the BC first half, the Hokies have done a nice job of keeping Wilson's touches up but not in the insane zone (like Kevin Jones getting 30-40 carries).

I'm hoping the Hokies can start fast for a change and then eat the clock with the running game and try and keep the D as healthy as possible for GT.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't Duke have a somewhat respectable passing game? I almost feel like this is going to be one of those frustrating games where Duke stays fiesty and we struggle to put them away, but ultimately do late. Something like 35-20.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't Duke have a somewhat respectable passing game? I almost feel like this is going to be one of those frustrating games where Duke stays fiesty and we struggle to put them away, but ultimately do late. Something like 35-20.

I agree. IF we start slow again, I see this definitely happening and no padding of the stats will occur. IF we start calling plays that slowly get our offense into a groove (and our receivers step up) then I see this being more like a game we would think this to be. Its all about keeping their defense on the field and keeping ours off.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

no joke, this season is flying by

dear god i hope we get through this game with no more injuries!

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to keep the offense on the field; all of our injuries are occurring on the defensive side of the ball. As such, we should play this game like a game of madden: go for it on every 4th down no matter the situation

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all honestly... more interested in the GT/Klempson game right now.

I think we got Miami at the right time. I think they finish 2nd in the Coastal.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I HATE playing at Wally Wade, almost as much as the Big East days travel to Temple. Tech's spring game has more atmosphere (and higher attendance). I honestly think that the atmosphere actually helps Duke in someways, as there is little to no way to get pumped up down there. That's why it's important for Hokies to get to Durham Saturday, if at all possible. Our fans can get alittle energy going, and maybe even get loud enough to give our wounded defense a quick first step.

Statistically speaking, Duke's defense is about the same as Boston College's. Duke is actually giving up less yards on the ground, but are giving up afew more points than BC. An interesting note is that Duke has given up 14 TDs in the passing game, with only 3 INTs. That should mean good things for the passing game. I suspect we will see a balanced attack, similar to last week.

I do hope, however, that David Wilson gets more carries in the first half. From what I've seen of Duke, I think David can benefit from more missed tackles, than the dependable tackling from Boston College we saw last week. Particularily I hope for some power running plays right up the gut, as I think that is a relative weakness for Duke but a huge weakness for Georgia Tech's defense, and something our offense hasn't been up to par with past VT teams.

On the other side of the coin, our defense is facing a team that loves to throw the ball around. The odd thing here is, that despite being third in the ACC in passing yards, they are last in passing touchdowns, with 6 in 7 games. Even more odd, Duke is second in the conference in Time of Possession (behind only the Hokies). Well the answer isn't in the stats, it's in the playbook. Duke likes to use the short passing game to move down the field, limiting mistakes, but overall is very efficient. Unfortunately for them, the defenses usually tighten up in the red zone, and Duke becomes arguably the least effecient offense in the league. I foresee Duke nickel and diming down the field, but having a lot of trouble in the redzone. We could see Tech's corners breaking on some short passes, possibly resulting in a pick six.