• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game 3 - Arkansas State at Virginia Tech

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did Dyrell break his arm? Was it gross??

opening kickoff i think.. they didnt show a replay, or the injury.. just showed him going to the locker room holding his arm.. sucks for roberts

i thought the hokies played pretty well today.. couple more drops from the receivers and a couple bad decisions by LT that led to picks, but i thought he played much better this week.. he was much more accurate

defense looked real good again, especially hosley and fuller

demler still needs to go though

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hosley dominated the battle between him and the former 5-star receiver. Awesome day. Defense played really well other than the opening drive.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sucks for dyrell. Hope he gets a medical redshirt. Good game overall looked like Ak st only prepared for Wilson

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Much better overall game today.

Pros:

-LT3 had a great first half. O'Cain and Stiney finally did what I (and many others) have begged them to do for years and that's use shorter routes. LT3 really got into a nice rhythm with lots of short, simple routes. We need more of that.

-DANNY COALE! Thank you, offensive staff, for finally remembering he was on the team. The dude is a beast. Not only does he catch 95% of what's thrown to him, he blocks great as we saw today

-I liked the play calling for most of the game. I already mentioned the shorter routes, but they also did a good job drawing up stuff for multiple guys including TEs and FBs. TE'S AND FB'S!!!! WE ACTUALLY USED THEM AGAIN! Awesome!!

-Jayron Hosley totally shut down their best WR.

-Defensive frontline totally shut down their run game

Cons

-Dyrell Roberts. :( I hope he can get a redshirt. Kid seems to have bad luck.

-This is probably me just overreacting, but I felt the secondary could have done a better job overall than they did. Ark St had a few chances but blew them for various reasons. Need to tighten up some of the gaps once conference play rolls around Oct 1st.

- Too many carries for Wilson. 20 for DW, 5 for JO. FIVE. The game was wrapped up in the 4th and Wilson is still in there taking hits. C'mon, Shane. Sub out.

-LT3's second half. After a great 1st half with short to intermediate routes, he started throwing deeper routes with little success. Both picks were poor throws and he forced others into coverage despite the checkdown (Wilson) being wide open several times. Maybe they decided to open it up more, but whatever happened, it didn't work. At least it was against a lesser opponent when we had the lead.

-Special teams still leave a lot to be desired

Overall, a good game that could have been great had the offense produced in the 2nd half. It's a step in the right direction as we gear up for what looks to be a tougher than expected conference play.

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the guys that watched at home, was that penalty on Fuller at the end of the 3rd quarter legit? As soon as the fans saw the flag, we went ape shit and I didn't hear the call. I'm only assuming it was for leading with his helmet?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the guys that watched at home, was that penalty on Fuller at the end of the 3rd quarter legit? As soon as the fans saw the flag, we went ape shit and I didn't hear the call. I'm only assuming it was for leading with his helmet?

they only showed 2 replays, and only 1 was a good angle.. but it did look like it was helmet to helmet.. not intentional, but the helmets collided for sure

^if i'm remembering the right play that is.. watching like 4 games in one day some of the penalties blend together haha

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In my opinion, it looked like he led with his shoulder, had shoulder-to-shoulder contact, and maybe a little incidental helmet contact. It looked like a clean hit to me

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

It was a borderline call, but with the added attention to helmet-to-helmet collisions I don't think the referee had any choice about whether or not to make the call.

Fuller was in a position to make the hit with his shoulder, but the Arky State receiver appeared to duck his head at the last second which caused the helmet-to-helmet contact.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Good news for Lanier...his left knee injury is considered to be an MCL sprain. Looked pretty bad on TV yesterday.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good news for Lanier...his left knee injury is considered to be an MCL sprain. Looked pretty bad on TV yesterday.

GREAT NEWS! You are right. When he went of and watching the replay, I thought it was much worse and we can I'll afford injuries at tackle right now.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
@Dyre11_Roberts Dyrell Roberts
To answer everyone questions I will be back next year! Medical redshirt is the plan! Thanks for all the love and support!
32 minutes ago

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
On the interceptions i think LT is trying to force things a little bit too much, hopefully when we hit the meat of the schedule he will learn to protect the football a little better. He was 11-16 for 195 and 2 TDs @ the start of the 3rd, so i think as long as we continue to call plays to his strengths and he protects the football a little more, we should be fine @ QB. Just like the last 2weeks im sure there are a few passes LT would like to have back, but i think he showed more of his potential than we've seen so far.

To be honest the offensive line worried me a little in this one. May have a lot to do with this being the first 4man front and arky st stacking the box on top of that, but as a top 15 team we should have no problem opening holes against arkansas st.

the WR's seemed to have gotten over "the dropsies", DC seemed to be back in his "groove" and it was nice to see Davis and Cole get involved.
:pout: hate to see Roberts go out like that, wonder if he will be eligible for a med RS?EDIT: some how missed TAE's post above

The running backs didnt seem to have the holes to run through that they have up until now, but seemed to grind it out when given the chance. David Wilson is a freak and will prob carry this team at times this year, but he could use a lesson from holmes on patience and vision. There were several times (on zone plays) where he simply picked the wrong hole, another time he tried to get to the edge but could have cut it inside for at least 10yards.

On defense i really liked the gameplan (for this game), It seemed like Bud was bringing a blitz on about every down. Gouveia(sp?) has surprised me this year, he has looked better in coverage, but is looking great bringing pressure. Edwards seemed to do a great job of mirroring their RB yesterday and taylor has been steady as expected. The DL seems to be playing at a high level and IMO when the DL plays good, it makes everyone else look that much better. The secondary played great (as usual), fuller is showing that he is one hell of a football player (i.e. run support, coverage, just an all out play maker). The one knock i do have on Fuller though is that he needs to get his head around in coverage a little better, a lot of times he is all over the receiver but doesnt get his head around to play the ball.

Special teams are still a work in progress at best IMO, Journell is an excellent kicker but i think the "scale" of the game is getting him a little, Jayron is a possible AA punt returner but needs to realize that every return cant be a TD, Demler had a few decent punts yesterday but he is still no Danny Coale

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Dyre11_Roberts Dyrell Roberts
To answer everyone questions I will be back next year! Medical redshirt is the plan! Thanks for all the love and support!
32 minutes ago

great news. he could really feature for us next season whereas this year he was behind boykin, coale, and davis.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll still probably be the 3rd option behind Davis and Coles, but his addition does give us a receiver core with lots of experience. That's a big plus for LT in his 2nd year.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
He'll still probably be the 3rd option behind Davis and Coles, but his addition does give us a receiver core with lots of experience. That's a big plus for LT in his 2nd year.

Hate it for Roberts, but looking toward the future he may be the experienced leader this WR group needs next year. FWIW it makes me feel a lot better about our WR's next year.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd suggest not having return kicks next year. He gets too banged up.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'd suggest not having return kicks next year. He gets too banged up.

I know he took a hell of a hit on the KR, but is it official that is when he hurt it? the reason i ask is because im pretty sure he was in on the next play:then came out.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he took a hell of a hit on the KR, but is it official that is when he hurt it? the reason i ask is because im pretty sure he was in on the next play:then came out.

Everything I saw and heard said he broke it on the KR.