• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game #2 - Virginia Tech at East Carolina

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FYI... my comparisons to Glennon were mostly made in the fact that people started taking shots at LT, not that their play is similar. I'm aware they are completely different QBs. I'm just not a fan of the people calling for Leal after 2 games. Some fans judge play too quickly, especially coming off a season like TT had. I'm just afraid that people will get impatient on his development and that's when the booing starts. I hate booing our own players, and the way fans treated Glennon was absolutely ridiculous.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FYI... my comparisons to Glennon were mostly made in the fact that people started taking shots at LT, not that their play is similar. I'm aware they are completely different QBs. I'm just not a fan of the people calling for Leal after 2 games. Some fans judge play too quickly, especially coming off a season like TT had. I'm just afraid that people will get impatient on his development and that's when the booing starts. I hate booing our own players, and the way fans treated Glennon was absolutely ridiculous.

i didnt want to put leal in with the intention that he was going to take the job.. i thought the offense needed a spark and the easiest way to do that is to switch out the qb.. LT is the apparently the better QB by a long shot according to the coaches, and i believe them, they know a hell of a lot better than i do.. i just throught it might be a nice spark to get an offense going

maybe it comes from my primary love being hockey where they change the lines all the time.. i just thought it might be interesting to throw leal in there to see how he does, see if he could get something going on offense.. others have pointed out that a lot of the drives stalled because of penalties, but a 5 yard penalty shouldn't stall a decent offense against an awful defense..

and we'll never agree on glennon, i thought he was a pompous ass (on the field, off the field, and away from the game of football) that wasn't half the QB he thought he was.. he deserved what he got IMO

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LT did about what I expected a QB to do with his first start on the road, maybe not what I would have wanted, but the key is we came out with a win. He didn't play great and he didn't play awful. He will improve. The coaching staff and the rest of the team have confidence in him and so do I. ECU is not the easiest place to play and win, as we seem to always struggle with them, and to play the way he did should be commendable. Some really good balls thrown (almost Marcus Davis TD) and some that very well could have been picked. Something you should expect from a rookie QB.

Just remember when Tyrod was playing the first couple years and what his passing skills were at the time. He was very inconsistent, but he improved vastly from year 2 to 3 and then again from 3 to 4. Face it, we got spoiled with Tyrod under center the last couple years and many were not prepared for the growing pains of a first year starter (even though some said they were early in the offseason).

Logan moved into the QB position because the team needed him and he wanted to help the team. He has great potential (much like Tyrod had during his first couple years) and it will take some time to reach it (much like Tyrod needed).

Let's give him more than one blow out win at home and a close win as his first road start before being too harsh. Yes, he didn't play up to what we would have liked him to have played, but we should expect struggles, especially early in the season. We're 2-0 for the first time in years, so let's enjoy this start and watch how the team improves on all fronts like they always do throughout the season, which could be a very special one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and we'll never agree on glennon, i thought he was a pompous ass (on the field, off the field, and away from the game of football) that wasn't half the QB he thought he was.. he deserved what he got IMO

Nobody got what he deserved. Ask him and his family what it was like getting threatening phone calls. Ask his sister who was getting sexually harassed on facebook. Even 2 years after graduating the guy still gets phone calls and e-mails. He's not even playing football anymore and he is still getting harassed by fans. He really deserved that? We preach on this site not to give 18-22 year old kids a hard time. Sean Glennon shouldn't be an exception.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't deserve what he got for sure. He did play pretty poorly though. I saw him on campus a lot when I was there and rarely was he in a group. He wore a Romo jersey a lot so maybe he was trying to mimic his uncanny ability to throw it to the other team at key times...

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hokies starting offensive line graded out exceptionally again Saturday, posting grades across the board as follows: Andrew Lanier 89, Greg Nosal 87, Andrew Miller 83, Jaymes Brooks 93, Blake DeChristopher 91***8230;The 88.6 average is the highest as far back as at least the end of 2009. Brooks***8217; 93 is the highest grade for a starter in over a year***8230;Michael Via will work at guard to help replace the injured David Wang, who broke his foot and will miss 8-10 weeks.[/QUOTE]

I cannot comprehend all the mixed reports on the O-Line's performance. The O-Line stunk up the joint according to this review: East Carolina Game Review (Focus on the Front 7) | The Key Play

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Hokies starting offensive line graded out exceptionally again Saturday, posting grades across the board as follows: Andrew Lanier 89, Greg Nosal 87, Andrew Miller 83, Jaymes Brooks 93, Blake DeChristopher 91***8230;The 88.6 average is the highest as far back as at least the end of 2009. Brooks***8217; 93 is the highest grade for a starter in over a year***8230;Michael Via will work at guard to help replace the injured David Wang, who broke his foot and will miss 8-10 weeks.

I cannot comprehend all the mixed reports on the O-Line's performance. The O-Line stunk up the joint according to this review: East Carolina Game Review (Focus on the Front 7) | The Key Play[/QUOTE]

Consider the source. I personally don't have any respect for their "articles".

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody got what he deserved. Ask him and his family what it was like getting threatening phone calls. Ask his sister who was getting sexually harassed on facebook. Even 2 years after graduating the guy still gets phone calls and e-mails. He's not even playing football anymore and he is still getting harassed by fans. He really deserved that? We preach on this site not to give 18-22 year old kids a hard time. Sean Glennon shouldn't be an exception.

i wasn't talking about all the extra stuff.. thats just uncalled for.. but getting boo'ed on the field, i dont see a problem with that.. it was mostly his peers doing that anyway, and booing someone is very mild compared to the stuff college kids say to one another on a daily basis

the other stuff is garbage though, i'll agree w/ that.. i didnt know you were including all the stuff post-career.. i was just talking about during the game antics

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's give him more than one blow out win at home and a close win as his first road start before being too harsh. Yes, he didn't play up to what we would have liked him to have played, but we should expect struggles, especially early in the season. We're 2-0 for the first time in years, so let's enjoy this start and watch how the team improves on all fronts like they always do throughout the season, which could be a very special one.

i think that hit it on the head.

through out spring and summer we've been hearing all this great stuff about him, hearing comparisons to Cam Newton and what not, so i think a lot of people are forgetting the fact that he is a first year starter who had only taken 26 (i think) snaps in his college career before the first game....i think some of those preseason articles had peoples expectations too high, and they wanted to see him come in and and be Cam Newton, ver 2.0 right off the bat....sorry folks, not gonna happen, its going to take some time, but like has been said, i have got confidence in him, he will develop, and i feel he will be a great VT QB.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i wasn't talking about all the extra stuff.. thats just uncalled for.. but getting boo'ed on the field, i dont see a problem with that.. it was mostly his peers doing that anyway, and booing someone is very mild compared to the stuff college kids say to one another on a daily basis

the other stuff is garbage though, i'll agree w/ that.. i didnt know you were including all the stuff post-career.. i was just talking about during the game antics

"Booing someone is very mild"??

Just my opinion, but I see a MAJOR problem with booing ANY Hokie in any sport. Those Tech athletes are giving everything they have, on and off the field. They don't deserve the kind of crap they get from drunken "fans" who somehow believe they're entitled to say and do whatever they want from the total safety of their seat in the stands. If they think they can perform better than the person they're abusing, then they should report to the head coach of that particular sport and demand a try-out.

But let's talk specifically about Glennon. While he was at Tech his parents received abusive phone calls all hours of the day and night, particularly after games. His sister was verbally abused on campus, especially if she tried to defend Sean. If you knew so-called Tech "fans" were doing that to your family, how would you react? If you knew some of your own TEAMMATES were trashing you behind your back, how would you react? And he's STILL being trashed...just read this thread.

I had to laugh out loud when people, to include some of the same people who flamed Sean endlessly, seriously wondered why Sean's younger brother expressed no interest in being recruited by Tech.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But let's talk specifically about Glennon. While he was at Tech his parents received abusive phone calls all hours of the day and night, particularly after games. His sister was verbally abused on campus, especially if she tried to defend Sean. If you knew so-called Tech "fans" were doing that to your family, how would you react? If you knew some of your own TEAMMATES were trashing you behind your back, how would you react? And he's STILL being trashed...just read this thread.

Being fairly close friends with Kaite, I think you are WAY over estimating the 'verbal abuse' she ever got.

As far as the students go, I think much of their dissatisfaction with Sean was his attitude off of the field and the fact that he was a dick to a lot of people for no reason and constantly full of excuses. Many of the players didn't even like him because of how much he would blame his issues on others - and that comes first hand from one of his O-line men that I lived with...

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Being fairly close friends with Kaite, I think you are WAY over estimating the 'verbal abuse' she ever got.

As far as the students go, I think much of their dissatisfaction with Sean was his attitude off of the field and the fact that he was a dick to a lot of people for no reason and constantly full of excuses. Many of the players didn't even like him because of how much he would blame his issues on others - and that comes first hand from one of his O-line men that I lived with...

Two sides to the story...

1. Despite being "fairly close friends", I doubt seriously you heard half of what Glennon's sister had to deal with on- and off-campus;

2. The Tech offensive line has been the subject of a ton of criticism from roughly the end of the 2004 season until this year for poor run- and pass-blocking. Glennon was lucky to complete as many passes as he did because he took a major beating during almost every game. The same was true for Tyrod, but he had the legs to escape;

3. Several of the Tech players blamed Glennon for the losses during his career, but they didn't know what he and his family was having to deal with;

4. Tech fans on the message boards tend to want to blame failures on a single player or coach. They seem to forget that football is a team sport, and games are rarely lost because of a single error by a single player, or a bad play-call by a coach in the booth;

5. All of the players who were critical of Glennon should have been spending more time in front of a mirror thinking about their own mistakes.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Booing someone is very mild"??

Just my opinion, but I see a MAJOR problem with booing ANY Hokie in any sport. Those Tech athletes are giving everything they have, on and off the field. They don't deserve the kind of crap they get from drunken "fans" who somehow believe they're entitled to say and do whatever they want from the total safety of their seat in the stands. If they think they can perform better than the person they're abusing, then they should report to the head coach of that particular sport and demand a try-out.

I had to laugh out loud when people, to include some of the same people who flamed Sean endlessly, seriously wondered why Sean's younger brother expressed no interest in being recruited by Tech.

like i said all the extra stuff was BS, nobody deserves that.. but ya, i consider boo-ing to be pretty mild.. a college athlete at a big time program should be able to handle getting boo-ed when they play poorly.. they should have enough mental toughness to get over that.. the other stuff maybe not.. but lets not treat college kids like children that need to be coddled at every turn.. they have a little tougher skin than you're giving them credit for

i cant comment on the sister stuff cause i have no idea, but the rest of it i agree w/.. if he manned up to playing a few games poorly he wouldn't have gotten nearly as much abuse from the fans

and we got back on the subject of the line again.. ya it wasn't great, but i remember a bunch times where glennon just stood there for what seemed like ages looking for a reciever.. every sack isn't the fault of the o-line, you cant expect them to block for an eternity