• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game #2 - Virginia Tech at East Carolina

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
East Carolina Pirates Roster and Depth Chart:

EAST CAROLINA OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE - Football

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/ecu/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2011-12/depth_chart_event/depth_chart.pdf

MY NOTES:

1. ECU plays a 3-4 defense. Again, we have played very well against this type of defense in the past to include last week against Appy State. South Carolina eventually scored 56 points against the Pirates last week.

*The starting nose guard (senior) and DEs (both sophs) are smaller on average than those of Appalachian State. The Nose guard is about 300 pounds, but both DEs are about 260.

*The LBs (one senior, two juniors, and one freshman) are about the same size on average, maybe a little smaller, as the Appy State LBs. It will be interesting to see if ECU sells out to stop the run based on what they will see in our Appy State film.

*The DBs are all 5'10"-5'11". The lack of size should be exploited by the taller, stronger Tech WRs.

2. ECU plays a spread offense. They played very well against South Carolina last week until the Gamecocks figured out what the Pirates were doing. The Tech staff should be studying that video even as we speak.

*The QB is a senior and he's pretty good at running the spread offense. He's an accurate passer and can run if he has to.

*The offensive line consists of one senior (the center) and four sophs. Their back-ups consist of two seniors, two juniors, and a freshman. Our DLs should be able to neutralize, if not overpower, this group.

*The four WRs consist of a senior, a junior and two freshmen. Will we counter by playing more nickel or will we stick to our standard 4-3? Foster will definitely throw a lot of different coverages and alignments at ECU's QB to confuse the heck out of him.

*The RB is a junior and is serviceable at best.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ECU is the type where we'll probably let them get a few easy yards then tighten up as they get closer to the redzone. The good thing is they lost Dwyane Harris who beasted us last year. Our tackling is much better this year so none of the short gains will turn into big ones. Our dline was beasting app state so hopefully we can continue getting pressure only rushing 4 or 3 so we won't have to blitz as much as we did last ECU game. I think we switch between the Nickle and 4-3 like we did versus App State. I saw Winslow and Cris Hill substitute a lot. I think both are fully capable of covering the slot, so we'll probably see some of both.

As for Offense, I can see us doing what we did versus App state. Heavy doses of Wilson and Oglesby early. However, O'Cain said that he would open up the playbook a bit of Logan Thomas. As a side note, I really love the read option where Thomas can run inside. I guess having a huge guy play QB is beneficial in that respect.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As a side note, I really love the read option where Thomas can run inside. I guess having a huge guy play QB is beneficial in that respect.

Opposing safeties are going to learn to hate it! :crutch:

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I think our DB's are the key to this game. They should be able to lock down the receivers long enough to allow Gayle/Collins time to get in the backfield. Their running game isnt the greatest but i think they will run it enough to "keep us honest". The one thing that does scare me is the QB run (after the play has broken down), we need to hit him early and often so he isnt so quick to take off.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if their defense is as poor as it was last year (which based on their performance last weekend, it is), all our defense has to do is allow less than 30 points and we'll win

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just general info: Coach Beamer will be going after his 200th win this coming Saturday.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this televised? I caught the end of an advertisement and it never gave the network it was for. It only mentioned the games available

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this game makes me nervous.. i hate playing ECU, they're so dangerous and they're always underrated cause they implode when they play their conference games

i have this as the hokies 3rd hardest game (behind UNC and GT)

thats right, suck it miami and clemson.. :thumb:

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is on DirecTV 642 here. CSN I beleive

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is on CSN here in Blacksburg. It's being broadcast on the HD channel, but that doesn't always mean it's really "high-definition".

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just woke up from a nightmare :fear: that we had lost this game. I was glad to wake up and see that it is only Thursday, but I am officially nervous about this one.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
East Carolina Rushing Defense 2010:

226.7 Yards Per Game (Rank: 117)
5.3 Yards Per Carry (Rank: 116)
41 Touch Downs Total (Rank: 120)

East Carolina Rushing Defense @ Virginia Tech 2010:

249 Yards
6.1 Yards Per Carry
4 Touch Downs

East Carolina Rushing Defense vs South Carolina 2011:

220 Yards
5.5 Yards Per Carry
5 Touch Downs

Anyone want to take a guess at the game plan?

HokieStone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Im nervous about every game but I think our team is a little more focused this year! Last year's loss to JMU couldnt have come at a better time!