• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game #2 - Virginia Tech at East Carolina

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
logan thomas played poorly (as he did last week), and the play calling wasn't good.. i see no reason to call people out for stating those facts

ya there were drops, but getting mad at coale for dropping a pass that was 2 feet behind him and 2 feet high on a slant route in the end zone is expecting too much from your WR's

he's young (LT) and he's going to go through growing pains.. doesn't mean we cant say he played poorly..

My comments appear to have struck a nerve. Let's get one thing straight...your comments about LT and the play-calling are nothing but your personal opinions. They are NOT facts of any kind.

My observation about Coale not hanging on to what should have been a TD pass is backed up by different replay angles shown during the game.

Just so you know, I don't get angry about the actions of 17-21 yr olds during a game...I leave that to the chronic complainers who never seem to be happy about anything the Hokies do on the field.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgive me, but I don't completely understand the ECU defense emulating our snap count. Sure I get that it bothers the offense, but is it against the rules or anything?

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
and the play calling wasn't good..

Awaz, not intending to argue but a serious question: what did you find so wrong with our play calling? Again not trying to argue but maybe im missing something??? BTW I agree that DW should have been more of a factor early and that he should be more involved in general, so really just wondering outside of that what in your opinion was so bad?

BTW here is the play by play:

Virginia Tech Hokies vs. East Carolina Pirates - Play By Play - September 10, 2011 - ESPN

I didnt pick the game up until the 8:32 mark (freakin Iowa) so i really dont know what happened before then. On this drive we moved the ball straight down the field until a false start on 3rd and 2 from the 3, then on 3rd and 7 DC dropped the pass in the EZ (not an easy catch but one that DC will usually make), then a false start before the missed FG <--- so on that drive imo the play calling kept the ball moving, until a penaltie put us in a bad position. (10 play 42 yards got inside the 5)

We moved the ball well again on the next possession (even after the MD drop in the end zone). The drive was ended with the pick in the back of the EZ <---again a player error. nothing to do with play calling (17 plays 77 yards got inside of the 10)

Another drive where we kept the ball moving: started on the 36 drove all the way to the 14, until a penaltie put us in the hole. We could never dig out and had to settle for a FG. Again the ball kept moving until put in a hole by a penaltie.

1st drive of the 3rd: we go 8 plays for 78 and the TD.

next drive fumble. again player error

Next drive starts @ the 8. DJ coles drops a (poorly thrown)pass for a first down, then boykin drops another (the one that was almost a fumble) = PUNT. 2 dropped passes, IMO nothing wrong with the play calling.

The next drive starts with the reverse to Marcus Davis: I really dont think that was the greatest of play calls, we go 3 and out after a draw and LT almost getting picked. <--- IMO this was the worst drive of the game (play calling wise)

LT looked really rattled on the next drive: he picked up 5 on 1st then threw on into the stands, then a false start, then missed an open MD on the role out.

The next drive moved the ball straight down the field for JO's second TD (13 plays 89 yards and a td)

Our last drive really started bad when DW was stuffed on 1st down, he picked up 3 on second, but a false start made 3rd and 6:3rd and 11. Again we dug ourselves a hole.

IDK there were some times that the play calling could have been a little better, but overall i think it moved the ball well and put us in good position on most 3rd downs. Sure just like every game and every OC/coaching staff im sure there are some calls we'd like to have back, but i think we did a decent job of staying balanced and when we seen that LT was breaking down we stuck to the run (as much as possible). I would honestly much rather see the balanced game plan with multiple formations than the uber predictable play calling we've gotten used to.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Forgive me, but I don't completely understand the ECU defense emulating our snap count. Sure I get that it bothers the offense, but is it against the rules or anything?

yeah its illegal,a lot of teams have an alternate snap count/cadence to help prevent it, not saying that in necessarily was but that could have been the reason for a couple of the false starts. FWIW The false start during the FG, im pretty positive thats what beamer was on the refs about.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
:think:whoops: penalty not penaltie (i really need to download a spell checker)

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah its illegal,a lot of teams have an alternate snap count/cadence to help prevent it, not saying that in necessarily was but that could have been the reason for a couple of the false starts. FWIW The false start during the FG, im pretty positive thats what beamer was on the refs about.

Oh ok thanks for clearing that up. Hopefully that, coupled with the refs, is a big reason why we had so many penalties- as opposed to our players being undisciplined or unprepared

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Oh ok thanks for clearing that up. Hopefully that, coupled with the refs, is a big reason why we had so many penalties- as opposed to our players being undisciplined or unprepared[/QUOTE]

False starts were a big problem during the spring and summer, i think some of it may have to do with getting used to the cadence of a new QB and Logan not having as consistent of a cadence as Tyrod (or any other veteran). From the sound of Beamers interview after the game, it didnt seem like they had a very focused week of practice either. I think these 2 things in combination with the officials and ECU interfering with the cadence all caused probs for our Oline.

EDIT: also ECU has a pretty rowdy atmosphere (as i said before its like WVU without the batteries) and im sure that was having some effect also.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
penalties were a problem, but the fact that ECU had no penalties called on them is just ridiculous. there are always penalties that can be called; these refs just chose not to call them.

anyways, here's to a drubbing this coming weekend and a non 12:00 game. WOOOO

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue I had with the play calling was the timing now that I have had a chance to look back. In the 2nd Q we were running a spread. I like adding that to the playbook and practicing it basically but wait until we have a decent lead. Also we were running LT way too much. It was working no doubt but we don't need him taking shots the 2nd game of the year. I think we should have played our game, gotten the lead using our RBs, who are good behind DW still, and then started working new pieces. LT missed a lot of throws but i feel he didn't play awful. The Int was a great play by the defender who had position. The ball could have been more to the corner but it wasn't an awful play.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding the Playcalling: I think in the second half O'Cain called the plays (run, run, run) he knew would keep the drives going which I agree with to an extent. But at the same time it almost seemed like the coaches had lost confidence in the passing game and abandoned it in the second half. What kills me is the lack of calls for short passes, screen passes, dump offs, etc.. This is what we need to get LT in a good flow and build his confidence. I am somewhat worried that ArkSt and Marshall will be easier opponents and the passing game will not get tested and then LT will be in a heap of trouble come ACC play. If we get up by 20+ against ArkSt and Marshall, O'Cain needs to keep calling a balance of pass and run plays. This is the only way LT is going to get better.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if we are winning we will throw the ball more as funny as that sounds. We know we can move the ball running so far so that is what we finally did in the 2nd half last week. When we get the lead we will throw more because we have margin for error at that point. LT threw a good bit in the App State game. I agree we need short passes,screens, dumps, etc. I notice we don't run any hooks it seems. Send the WR 10 yards down the field and have him come back to the ball 2-3 yards. It is impossible to defend if done correctly(against man coverage). Against zone we need digs and crossing routes. Let the WRs find holes and sit in them. I also think we need to use DW more in the passing game. Screens as well as wheel routes and regular routes. Get him matched against a LB or safety and they will never be able to cover him.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My comments appear to have struck a nerve. Let's get one thing straight...your comments about LT and the play-calling are nothing but your personal opinions. They are NOT facts of any kind.

My observation about Coale not hanging on to what should have been a TD pass is backed up by different replay angles shown during the game.

Just so you know, I don't get angry about the actions of 17-21 yr olds during a game...I leave that to the chronic complainers who never seem to be happy about anything the Hokies do on the field.

i apologize for calling them facts.. but i think we can both agree that the majority of people who watched the game will share the opinion that LT did not play very well

we'll just have to agree to disagree on coale i guess.. i didnt think that was a terrible drop, though there were others that were terrible drops and i referenced that.. there were also occassions where LT missed open recievers or threw passes to very covered recievers

and i'm not angry either.. i was frustrated during the game sure.. i just didnt think it was necessary to call people out for saying the hokies played poorly.. cause on offense, they did.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awaz, not intending to argue but a serious question: what did you find so wrong with our play calling? Again not trying to argue but maybe im missing something??? BTW I agree that DW should have been more of a factor early and that he should be more involved in general, so really just wondering outside of that what in your opinion was so bad?

i didn't like all the spread stuff.. having it in there as another option is good, but for most of the first half we did that almost exclusively and with all the drive summarized above i guess it was working until a false start stalled a drive.. but i really don't think thats the hokies best option for succeeding in the future.. if we got 17 points against one of the worst defenses in the country, i dont think its something we should stick to as a primary offense.. as evidence in the 2nd half when we put LT back under center and started handing the ball off.. 1st drive of the 2nd half, which was something like 7 runs and 1 pass or something, and we drive down the field for a TD..

also, in LT's defense, and this was mentioned earlier, i saw 2 or 3 calls that were confidence builders for him.. almost all of the pass plays were 15+ yard routes and i dont think thats exactly what they needed.. short passes and let the recievers do the work.. get the kids confidence up.. screen passes to recievers and RB's

but the real key to my frustration was not featuring DW earlier, which you already covered.. it took like a quarter and a half for DW to have more carries than LT which is ridiculous IMO.. i know they were running the read option and ECU was taking away DW every time, but you have to get the ball to your best player, and the read option wasn't a way of doing that.. DW is a threat to score every time he touches the ball, as good as LT looked running the ball, i dont think he's a threat to score every time.. and lining up in the spread isn't going to get DW to make an impact.. line up behind the QB, and get him going downhill when he gets the ball..

VT has been trying to run out of the spread for as long as i can remember (significantly shorter than most of you on here) and it has rarely worked.. i actually called it the -2 yard play while tryod was there because almost every time it was stuffed

and one play that really stuck out to me.. was on the drive you mentioned as being our worst.. 2nd and 10, and they went 5 wide and called a qb draw.. that play call fooled people 10 years ago.. you have a QB that hasn't had a good day throwing (but has had a good day running), and you send out 5 wide.. i wonder what they're going to do.. its just too predictable.. same goes for the spread.. 4 wide with DW and LT in the backfield, 97% chance its a read option.. and VT is no oregon, that wont work for VT

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I have no problem with the offensive play calling. The staff had put together a gameplan coming into the game. Like so many teams across the country every week, their plan didn't work out. ECU's offensive gameplan didn't work out either. The fact is, when our team was in trouble, the coaches made adjustments to win the game. It's that simple!

It wasn't pretty, but it never is with us.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked the part where we won.

Let's stop all this in-fighting... especially over a GD W fellas.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i apologize for calling them facts.. but i think we can both agree that the majority of people who watched the game will share the opinion that LT did not play very well

we'll just have to agree to disagree on coale i guess.. i didnt think that was a terrible drop, though there were others that were terrible drops and i referenced that.. there were also occassions where LT missed open recievers or threw passes to very covered recievers

and i'm not angry either.. i was frustrated during the game sure.. i just didnt think it was necessary to call people out for saying the hokies played poorly.. cause on offense, they did.

He did not play well, but he didn't play as poorly as people are making him out to be. The drops, penalties, poor field position from terrible punt returns, fumble, and missed FG killed momentum we had. Once the momentum took a turn, LT started to press and did not look comfortable. That is expected. What is not expected is the veterans not being in sync and playing to their ability. Also, I heard that LT was sick for game and played through it. If that's the case, others besides Wilson and Oglesby need to step up to help our ailing QB.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, at least it looks like Logan is taking the right kind of attitude about this past saturday:

"Oh, I'm putting all of it away for a learning experience," Thomas said. "We came down here, and they gave us a battle. They gave us one of the hardest games I've ever been a part of. It's only my first year starting in college. I'll definitely remember this one for the books. First road win, but also the beating I took here today."

"I need to step up in the passing game," Thomas said. "I've had too many incompletions and too many bad passes, but it's right around the corner. I think we'll get better throughout the year and once we do, it's going to be a tough offense to stop."

Growing pains come for Logan Thomas in Hokies' win - Washington Times

and another positive from this weekend...we've got our first 2-0 start since 2006.