• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game #11 - UNC @ VT

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe an uninspired ugly win is what we needed. The coaches will have ten days to chew these guys out going into UVA. There will be no short practices or nice compliments when this film is reviewed. Those guys are going to be ready for UVA.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without the Houston fumble late in the first quarter, this would have been a different game. Very fortunate to win this one, but hey, that's what good teams do. Glad we get a couple extra days to rest and heal up for UVa.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe an uninspired ugly win is what we needed. The coaches will have ten days to chew these guys out going into UVA. There will be no short practices or nice compliments when this film is reviewed. Those guys are going to be ready for UVA.

Maybe so. You know UVA's players will be up for the game. It's the kind of situation where if you sleepwalk through the game, they could pull an upset.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe so. You know UVA's players will be up for the game. It's the kind of situation where if you sleepwalk through the game, they could pull an upset.

I am just looking forward to seeing Tra Nicholson get burned by Boykin and if he is covering Coale.......wow!!!!! Nicholson needed to shirt this year.

Don't forget how NFL good this defensive line that we just faced was.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Damn it was cold out there!

Sorry if any/all of this has already been discussed but just a few thoughts about the game. BTW a win is a win and i'll take it 10x's out of 10 but.....

DW has got to do a better job of holding onto the football.

Marcus Davis should have had a big TD grab, He has got to do a better job of finding that ball. still not seeing what i/most expected of him.

Danny Coale and Boykin are both known for their catches and yards but they deserve some credit for their blocking abilities.

Michael Via gets a helmet sticker from me. Except for 1 bad snap he played a hell of a game @ center.

Hosley played a pretty bad game (especially early on) but we gave him no safety help all night long.

I dont know if it was the size and skill of UNC's DL or the different blitz's they were bringing but i thought our OL played poorly tonight.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont know if this was mentioned, but this might have been the worst national broadcast i've ever heard.. you could literally hear the pain in their voices when that last onside kick was 'a half yard' (aka 2 yards) short.. that was absolutely brutal.. and if you say 'look for renner to roll out here' on every play, you're going to get it right sometimes.. please stop saying that.. and we get it, coples is going to play in the NFL.. we had that one figured out before you mentioned it 27 times in the first quarter.. and saying butch davis was a good recruiter.. really? REALLY?.. you dont think that paying them helped him be a good recruiter? and you're really going to speak of him in a positive light after all the CHEATING he did? really? Fuck. you. espn.

the hokies could've played better, but i thought LT had a solid game.. got off to kind of a rocky start, but then settled in pretty well and made a lot of good decisions.. as one who said leal should've come in during the clemson game, i retract my statement, it was probably good of him to stay in there and learn.. this is why i do not coach haha

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From The Key Play:

bvXHg.jpg

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont know if this was mentioned, but this might have been the worst national broadcast i've ever heard.. you could literally hear the pain in their voices when that last onside kick was 'a half yard' (aka 2 yards) short.. that was absolutely brutal.. and if you say 'look for renner to roll out here' on every play, you're going to get it right sometimes.. please stop saying that.. and we get it, coples is going to play in the NFL.. we had that one figured out before you mentioned it 27 times in the first quarter.. and saying butch davis was a good recruiter.. really? REALLY?.. you dont think that paying them helped him be a good recruiter? and you're really going to speak of him in a positive light after all the CHEATING he did? really? Fuck. you. espn.

:burt: :burt:

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were a UNC fan, I would be livid with Davis, Blake and Thorpe. They sold the good name of the school for a chance to compete. Maybe when the punishment comes out, the fans will understand how much those guys fucked you over.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were a UNC fan, I would be livid with Davis, Blake and Thorpe. They sold the good name of the school for a chance to compete. Maybe when the punishment comes out, the fans will understand how much those guys fucked you over.

Nobody likes Blake and Thorpe. But what did Butch do wrong? The school performed background checks on all of his coaching candidates and approved them before he hired John Blake. And Butch wasnt named in any of the reports. There is no reason whatsoever to even believe that Butch Davis paid players, cheated, or had any way of knowing what was going on. It makes no sense for anyone to put blame on Butch. And if Thorp is firing Davis because Davis should have known and he wanted to clean house...then Thorp shouldve stepped down as well. I understand Carolina football is done forever now. I get that. But there is no reason to think that Butch was involved in a cheating scandal and absolutely no reason for anyone to think players were paid to play here, and no reason to think Butch had any involvement in students cheating to pass classes or remain eligible or anything of the sort.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carolina football is not done forever. North Carolina is an international brand and after 5 or 6 years they will be able to get another elite coach. Davis HAD to have known about John Blake and his background. Hell, I knew about it and I am a college football fan. He was poison. Anyway, I wouldn't worry to much. You have talent for a couple more years of solid performance and then there will be a dry spell of 6 or 7 years depending on the punishments. They will be back and competitive again, but a lot of these guys painted the program in a terrible light, and made it a punchline. The head of the AA Studies department (don't remember if he was a dean or dept. head), Blake, Austin, these guys should be despised by UNC fans right now. I am a teaching fellow at a major university (Pitt) and the cheating stuff is what bothered me the most, but I don't know.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carolina football is not done forever. North Carolina is an international brand and after 5 or 6 years they will be able to get another elite coach. Davis HAD to have known about John Blake and his background. Hell, I knew about it and I am a college football fan. He was poison. Anyway, I wouldn't worry to much. You have talent for a couple more years of solid performance and then there will be a dry spell of 6 or 7 years depending on the punishments. They will be back and competitive again, but a lot of these guys painted the program in a terrible light, and made it a punchline. The head of the AA Studies department (don't remember if he was a dean or dept. head), Blake, Austin, these guys should be despised by UNC fans right now. I am a teaching fellow at a major university (Pitt) and the cheating stuff is what bothered me the most, but I don't know.

Heck, they may get a great coach very soon. They've already been in contact with Boise State's coach and Gus Malzan.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Before Carolina the last time Davis and Blake coached together was with the Cowboys in 1994. John Blake was known as a great recruiter, thats all you could have known. What did you know about him, because i think its more of a situation where, now that this came out we can all assume why he was such a great recruiter everywhere else. I dont think there was any reason before this scandal to assume Blake was dirty. And regardless of what you want to believe...Blake, Marvin Austin, Little, and Quinn are all hated by Carolina fans. The video board that shows UNC players in the NFL doesnt show Little, Austin, or Quinn. It shows Da'Norris Searcy, Ryan Taylor, TJ Yates, etc. And the cheating stuff is what bothered everybody. That was the whole problem with the investigation. The parking ticket allegations were a joke. Austin, Quinn, and Little that stuff shouldnt have happened, but it was dealt with properly and they didnt play. The cheating was the major concern. As far a hiring another coach...why in the world would Chris Peterson leave Boise for Carolina? lol. And with the Penn State job and the Ohio State job open now too, the only decent head coaching candidates will go there. There arent enough coaches to go around to assume carolina has a shot at getting a decent coach. And when we suck for the next few years why would players want to ever come to Chapel Hill. they can go to VT, UVA, USC, UT, Vandy, State, ECU, Wake, Duke etc.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before Carolina the last time Davis and Blake coached together was with the Cowboys in 1994. John Blake was known as a great recruiter, thats all you could have known. What did you know about him, because i think its more of a situation where, now that this came out we can all assume why he was such a great recruiter everywhere else. I dont think there was any reason before this scandal to assume Blake was dirty. And regardless of what you want to believe...Blake, Marvin Austin, Little, and Quinn are all hated by Carolina fans. The video board that shows UNC players in the NFL doesnt show Little, Austin, or Quinn. It shows Da'Norris Searcy, Ryan Taylor, TJ Yates, etc. And the cheating stuff is what bothered everybody. That was the whole problem with the investigation. The parking ticket allegations were a joke. Austin, Quinn, and Little that stuff shouldnt have happened, but it was dealt with properly and they didnt play. The cheating was the major concern. As far a hiring another coach...why in the world would Chris Peterson leave Boise for Carolina? lol. And with the Penn State job and the Ohio State job open now too, the only decent head coaching candidates will go there. There arent enough coaches to go around to assume carolina has a shot at getting a decent coach. And when we suck for the next few years why would players want to ever come to Chapel Hill. they can go to VT, UVA, USC, UT, Vandy, State, ECU, Wake, Duke etc.

If Barry Switzer and Howard Schellenberger distance themselves from you, you have a bad rep, when it comes to rules violations. Look into his past a little more at Oklahoma and Nebraska.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sorry if any/all of this has already been discussed but just a few thoughts about the game. BTW a win is a win and i'll take it 10x's out of 10 but.....

DW has got to do a better job of holding onto the football.

Marcus Davis should have had a big TD grab, He has got to do a better job of finding that ball. still not seeing what i/most expected of him.

Danny Coale and Boykin are both known for their catches and yards but they deserve some credit for their blocking abilities.

Michael Via gets a helmet sticker from me. Except for 1 bad snap he played a hell of a game @ center.

Hosley played a pretty bad game (especially early on) but we gave him no safety help all night long.

I dont know if it was the size and skill of UNC's DL or the different blitz's they were bringing but i thought our OL played poorly tonight.

Good (COLD!!) game tonight. We had some breaks go our way (turnovers, questionable penalties) and did just enough to win. Hats off to UNC, their defense especially the DLine and LB's were tough and they just about got us in the end. Glad we get that one behind us and put the heat back on UVA this weekend..I think FSU beats them close and we won't even need to win next week..

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear you. But someone also mentioned in another thread that to trying to be a finalist for a Heisman is a actually a two year campaign. I definitely agree with this person and think this mindset also extends to early Top 10 rankings / the NC race as well.

In order to get that early ranking within the Top 10 and become a legit factor in the NC race, teams have to have a solid performance the prior year (or at least end the year on such note). So I think if we want to take that next step (next year), we need to execute and finish the regular / post season with a solid performance and win all possible games going forward.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
We had some breaks go our way (turnovers, questionable penalties) and did just enough to win. .

dont get me wrong im not a big enough homer to say we didnt catch some breaks, but i'd just like to say that UNC caught some also. There were several times that blatant holding went uncalled (especially in their run game) i know "you can call holding on about every play" but these werent ticky tacky holding: they were obvious. UNC also did a lot of pushing and shoving after the whistle, nothing too outta hand but im surprised they were never flagged for it. Oh and BTW London and whoVa get a lot of talk for "working" the officials but withers and co. take the cake imo. On the (questionable) pi against boykin one of their assistants is 5 yards out on the field on his hands and knees. wtf?

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching the last two or three Clemson/VT games, it's pretty clear that both teams are not hitting on all cylinders. With two more weeks prior to the ACCCG, I expect both teams to fix the issues on defense and turnovers on offense and come into Charlotte ready to play.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's still no excuse for some of the complete whiffs he had. I thought we had DeAngelo Hall out there for a minute. Fuller should pull him aside and teach him how to tackle. Jayron's had quite the noticeable decline over the last 3 to 4 games. I'm not sure what's gotten into him