• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Front Office @ Mgmt

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Much like Tom Rathman decided to leave. It was sad because I felt he's done a very good job with the RBs. I think there are only two holdovers from last year's coaching staff. I know Tarver (LB coach) was retained.

John Lynch was interviewed yesterday by Fitz and Brooks on KNBR. I really like his demeanor. He's transparent and doesn't beat around the bush. I know there are things that can't be said to the media, but he's a breath of fresh air compared to Baalke.

Hadley the defensive backs coach was retained. I think he worked with Shanahan before. Yea, Baalke loathed dealing with the media. He also had issues getting along with coaches as he feuded with Harbaugh and Kelly. He was insulated as a scout and apparently didn't have the people skills to work well with others.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tom Gamble is leaving the 49ers. Kind of sad to see him go but there probably wasn't a place for him in the new FO

No doubt there was no place for him.

Nothing against him personally, but if you're going to clean house and start over, then Gamble had to be 'cleaned' too. I would even have included Maraath as been mentioned by others, but oh well. He isn't part of the football decision making, but playing a support role instead.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt there was no place for him.

Nothing against him personally, but if you're going to clean house and start over, then Gamble had to be 'cleaned' too. I would even have included Maraath as been mentioned by others, but oh well. He isn't part of the football decision making, but playing a support role instead.

With Adam Peters and Mayhew there, what would be left for Gamble to do all day? Clean his office every day, lol

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hadley the defensive backs coach was retained. I think he worked with Shanahan before. Yea, Baalke loathed dealing with the media. He also had issues getting along with coaches as he feuded with Harbaugh and Kelly. He was insulated as a scout and apparently didn't have the people skills to work well with others.

That's why he and Harbaugh and apparently Chip Kelly couldn't get along with each other. One would think that in a GM position, it's imperative to have people skills. :L

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's why he and Harbaugh and apparently Chip Kelly couldn't get along with each other. One would think that in a GM position, it's imperative to have people skills. :L

no question

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope so. We have the worst front office and management of any professional sports team.

Right now I would say the Redskins are worse with Dan Snyder. I would also out the Knicks up there. That's just for starters

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now I would say the Redskins are worse with Dan Snyder. I would also out the Knicks up there. That's just for starters
No one can match the silliness of the Yorks; but I get your point. Jed just seems so pathetically over-matched in his capacity as team president. To top it off, we hire an untested amateur as GM? Good lord.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one can match the silliness of the Yorks; but I get your point. Jed just seems so pathetically over-matched in his capacity as team president. To top it off, we hire an untested amateur as GM? Good lord.

In a way Snyder is worse because he meddles in personnel decisions. To me there is nothing worse than an owner drafting players and forcing roster decisions on his coaches. For all of York's faults he never got to that level. We will see about Lynch. I'll reserve judgement for a couple of years.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a way Snyder is worse because he meddles in personnel decisions. To me there is nothing worse than an owner drafting players and forcing roster decisions on his coaches. For all of York's faults he never got to that level. We will see about Lynch. I'll reserve judgement for a couple of years.
No one tops York for coaching hire fiascos though.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Al Davis in his last decade was the worst by far.
The hiring of Dennis Erikson, Mike Nolan, Mike Singletary, the absurd firing of Harbaugh and subsequent hiring and firing of Tomsula followed by a one year stay for Kelly despite having the worst roster in NFL history cannot be topped for sheer buffoonery in the annals of professional sports.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The hiring of Dennis Erikson, Mike Nolan, Mike Singletary, the absurd firing of Harbaugh and subsequent hiring and firing of Tomsula followed by a one year stay for Kelly despite having the worst roster in NFL history cannot be topped for sheer buffoonery in the annals of professional sports.

Lets look deeper into this. Al Davis personally hired all his awful coaches. I won't even list how bad that group was. But lets start with Dennis Erickson. Erickson was the choice of Terry Donahue who was the GM at the time. Both Bill Walsh and Terry Donohue were involved in the coaching search and conducted interviews. Bill Walsh recommended Dennis Erickson to the Yorks. While I can fault the Yorks for many things, I cannot fault them for following Bill Walsh's advice. What non football person tied to the 49ers would question Bill Walsh? Terry Donohue was also Bill Walsh's chosen GM. Yes Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary were bad coaches. But at the same time Nolan actually cleaned house and brought in Scot Mcloughan who built most of the team that Harbaugh brought to the Super Bowl. While I roasted York for Tomsula, based on Gase's interview it turns out that may have been Baalke's decision more than anything. I won't fault an owner for leaving the decision to hire a coach with his GM. That is what should be done. York blew it by keeping Baalke around too long and hiring him in the first place was a bad one

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets look deeper into this. Al Davis personally hired all his awful coaches. I won't even list how bad that group was. But lets start with Dennis Erickson. Erickson was the choice of Terry Donahue who was the GM at the time. Both Bill Walsh and Terry Donohue were involved in the coaching search and conducted interviews. Bill Walsh recommended Dennis Erickson to the Yorks. While I can fault the Yorks for many things, I cannot fault them for following Bill Walsh's advice. What non football person tied to the 49ers would question Bill Walsh? Terry Donohue was also Bill Walsh's chosen GM. Yes Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary were bad coaches. But at the same time Nolan actually cleaned house and brought in Scot Mcloughan who built most of the team that Harbaugh brought to the Super Bowl. While I roasted York for Tomsula, based on Gase's interview it turns out that may have been Baalke's decision more than anything. I won't fault an owner for leaving the decision to hire a coach with his GM. That is what should be done. York blew it by keeping Baalke around too long and hiring him in the first place was a bad one
As Jed is so fond of saying, "the buck stops with me". I'll take him for his word. Its very easy to say when daddy owns the team.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As Jed is so fond of saying, "the buck stops with me". I'll take him for his word. Its very easy to say when daddy owns the team.

Ultimately, the owner is responsible for all that happens. I can understand the Donohue and Erickson hire because of Bill Walsh's involvement but they should have hired a high level front office person after they fired both Erickson and Donohue instead of hiring Nolan and giving him all that power in the first place. And after McGlouhan left, thet just gave the job to Baalke which again turned out to be a costly mistake.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ultimately, the owner is responsible for all that happens. I can understand the Donohue and Erickson hire because of Bill Walsh's involvement but they should have hired a high level front office person after they fired both Erickson and Donohue instead of hiring Nolan and giving him all that power in the first place. And after McGlouhan left, thet just gave the job to Baalke which again turned out to be a costly mistake.
One of many costly mistakes they have made. What's the last good draft pick they made?