• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

French Open 2017 Thread

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isner with a great chance to make it to the 2nd week as Berdych went down today and Isner is now facing 53rd ranked Karen Khachanov on Saturday.

Have to watch out for those 53rd ranked players. :(

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was coming here to post that same thing. I'm so glad I don't care about this tournament too much. If Tennis Channel and NBC had coverage of Wimby and the US Open, I have no idea what I'll do.

I like Tennis Channel's coverage.

The complications come from NBC also having coverage. NBC dictates too much with their tape delays, and only showing certain matches.

When Soderling was beating Nadal, all Tennis Channel could do was say that "there's a major upset happening, but we can't show it to you because another network has exclusive rights to that match. You'll have to wait until later in the day to see that match on that network."

I think if Tennis Channel had rights without NBC, then their coverage would be about as good as ESPN's.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It also seems like they cover all of the AO too. Maybe they start 1 hour late during the early rounds, but that's not too bad. I rarely remember a match I wanted to watch being 1st played during an early round AO day.

Yeah tennis channel coverage is like the first 2 hours which is usually nothing important

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defending champ on the women's side is down a break in the 3rd but tennis channel refuses to show that match.

As I'm reading this thread, I'm starting to see what the problem is with Tennis Channel.

I didn't watch the first week of the FO live, but instead watched the first 9 days of matches all this past Monday. So I was browsing a lot, and wasn't paying as much attention to what other matches with competitive scores were happening.

I would pause every now and then when they showed all scores from all matches in progress, to see what other matches were occurring at the same time. But I didn't fuss over it, since I knew I was confined to whatever the broadcast recorded.

So do you think ESPN does a better job of going to competitive matches during the AO and Wimbledon?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Tennis Channel's coverage.

The complications come from NBC also having coverage. NBC dictates too much with their tape delays, and only showing certain matches.

When Soderling was beating Nadal, all Tennis Channel could do was say that "there's a major upset happening, but we can't show it to you because another network has exclusive rights to that match. You'll have to wait until later in the day to see that match on that network."

I think if Tennis Channel had rights without NBC, then their coverage would be about as good as ESPN's.

Their coverage is hit/miss. IMO they're too focused on showing one single featured match instead of showing different matches. Only way you can watch other matches if you have tennis channel plus

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah tennis channel coverage is like the first 2 hours which is usually nothing important

That sounds right. Whenever my DVR adds the AO to my To Do list, I manually remove all of the Tennis Channel ones that are for the first 2 hours, because I know I've never missed anything important.

I do keep the Tennis Channel broadcast for the middle Saturday of the AO. They usually have a 4-6 hour night session, and there's usually a good match.

This year, it was FED vs. Nishikori I think. In 2011, it was a 3+ hour Kuznetsova vs. Schiavone match with an extended 3rd set.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their coverage is hit/miss. IMO they're too focused on showing one single featured match instead of showing different matches. Only way you can watch other matches if you have tennis channel plus

Yeah, it's annoying how they put too many matches on Tennis Channel Plus, which isn't free.

I see the featured match vs. showing different matches as a good/bad thing. It's good if the featured one is competitive. It helps keep the excitement level if you can see more of a competitive match, and not have to jump to different matches so often.

It's bad if the featured match isn't competitive, and you're stuck.

At least with ESPN, they'll have the matches on-demand, so if I really wanted to focus on one match, I could.

One thing I hate about the FO scheduling is how they always have QF matches at the same time. They then have to do the split screen. I can't get into a match having the split screen. It's too hard to see.

It's not because there were rain delays this year, and all 4 QFs were on the same day. They always schedule QFs to play at the same time. I run into this every year.

I don't think they're really adding new courts at RG, just renovating them. So I don't know if this will get alleviated.

Maybe if they have lights and there's no curfew, they won't schedule the matches so close together in terms of multiple at the same time.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy Stan is something else. Dude legit basically only shows up for the GS events. It is incredible lol. Before winning on the Clay in Switzerland a week prior to the French, his results looked like this for the last 2 months

3rd round in Rome- Won 1 match
2nd round in Madrid- didn't win any matches
3rd round in Monte-Carlo- Won 1 match
4th round in Miami- Won 2 matches

It's annoying to follow him at a non-major, lol.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just catching part of my Thiem-Nole recording before I go to work. I'm as excited for Thiem-Rafa match as I've been for any non-Federer match in several years. Not only have neither lost a set, but Nadal hasn't given up more than four games and Thiem has only faced two tiebreaks (against a great server in Stevie and Novak). The only shame in this is that it isn't a final.

And wouldn't it be typical if Thiem and Nadal played a 5-set classic in the semis and then an in-form Stanimal manages to beat the winner in the finals.

I don't know if that's typical, because Stanimal hasn't been favored in any of his GS Finals.

Plus at the USO, Djokovic had it easy in the SFs with Monfils.

And at the 2014 AO, Stanimal had a hard 4 setter with Berdych, while FED's new racquet couldn't help him conquer Nadal.

Only at the 2015 FO did Stanimal's Finalist opponent have the harder SF.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

I had her and Kvitova in the Finals. ;)

As of now, I can still get 3 of the 4 Mens and Womens Finalists right.

Pliskova went further than most would have expected on clay. Expect her to make the finals at Wimby. Maybe even win it.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pls knock the annoying Dirtball-pretender out!!

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stan up a break in the 3rd.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stan you are the fucking man!!!!!!

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One down one to go. Let's go Thiem!!! I want to see two one handed backhands go at each other instead of robotic two handers that are both unappealing and unfair.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thiem is done for! Nadal about to take a two set lead!

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Match is history! Nadal takes a two set and two game lead. I think Thiem got a case of nerves!

Vegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,631.83
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Match is history! Nadal takes a two set and two game lead. I think Thiem got a case of nerves!

I was really hopeful that the buttpicker would lose today when he lost serve in the first game. No such luck.