• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Forty-Niners@Rams Post-Game Analysis: Rams Lose 17-31

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having lived through seven plus decades of Rams football, I have personally seen the behavior patterns of this franchise through good and bad owners and good and very bad teams. The present owner has very similar behavioral patterns to Dan Reeves and Robert Irsay, both who owned the Rams primarily for the money. Kroneke doesn't say much, remains in the shadow, and allows what he considers football people to run the show. Reeves and Irsay didn't do that but would periodically inject their brand of insanity into football decisions that had the sense of a maggot in your food. Kroneke doesn't appear to know enough about football to even make excellent decisons about his staff and he sure as hell has provided no focus for this club or at least in his silence it is not very clear to the rest of them what this team is about.

I also have lived through a great owner in Carroll Rosenbloom when we were the class of the NFL for nearly 12 years when every level of the franchise was run properly and succinctly and players wanted to play for the Rams. We had talent three deep multiple years and GM Don Klosterman was a master at recognizing talent and manipulating the NFL draft to gain maximum advantage in all categories of player and team analysis that translated into a powerhouse of a football team. When the Rams came to town, people were afraid. Under Rosenbloom's fierce yet compassionate direction, the Rams took seven consecutive NFC West championshops and were periennial favorites to go to the big dance. The team under his ownership contributed to the game's integrity and they had a team focus of one goal and that was to win a chamionship as the LA Rams despite being paid to play a kids game.

Fast forward to today. After nearly 15 years of inepititude and ownership incompetency of the highest order by a complete idiot, bubbleheaded, frikin buffoon of an owner, save a stretch of three years under a truely remarkable coach in Dick Vermiel and at last a modern-day championship with a remarkable team, this team once again has become a emulator of those 15 years of complete incompetency and inepititude to defy logic and the imagination. Mystifying is a better adjective. The team simply is a mess.

In a word, this team has no heart, soul, or purpose. It is listless, confused, and beyond recognition of a franchise that has no connection to its glory days. It has become for sometime now and object of derision and mockery rivaling the present-day Raiders as the rest of the NFL shakes and wags its collective heads at just how easily it is to play and beat these fools masquerading as coaches and NFL caliber players.:L We are the laughingstock of the NFL; Now the home of some of the most obscure and weird negative records the NFL has witnessed since they started keeping official records in 1970. We set two last evening.

All the while, the fans have endured this almost default behavior of finding ways to lose games they appear to be winning hoping for the return of those three recent years where all of us couldn't believe our eyes that in the last seconds of a Superbowl, we got to scream as loud as we could to release years of repressed anger, rage, and waiting for the vaunted Superbowl Trophy because indeed it was OURS. :yahoo: I remember standing in my living room yelling so loud, the neighbors dogs were barking with complete disbelief and shock yet unbridled joy that all those years of defeat and coming up short when it meant something special to be a Rams fan.

Being a Rams fans takes courage to endure this sort of humiliation and the weekly reminder that the hope of returning to that podium hoisting another trophy still eludes us even with the myriad of hopes provided for us by yet another salesman of positive outcomes that intuitively we know as fans may fall short like soooo many times before. We hear the rhetoric with each new administration and we all roll our eyes knowing that unless there is some positive signs of continued progress, we are going to be fooled again by yet another salesman selling us bullshit repackaged in a different container.

What happened last night is both/and. It is both the result of a 15 years of an ingrained mental default losing culture that is so defiant at being eradicated that many of us question whether it can ever be fixed no matter who the magician-du-jour is. And it is a function of adding so many new players every year as to defy the very stability needed to eradicte the very cancer that still plagues this franchise. Teams that are rebuilding must go through growing pains of which we seem to be stuck because our player turnover rate is so high because we find complete dopes to begin with. Grwoing pians implies progress beyond massive player turnover with the goal of winning the big one again. WE never get out of the rut at leat not in the last 10 years or so. WE are stuck in perpetual rebuild mode.

To break this stucknes, what is required begins at the top. It is a good business model both for business and football for the owner to state what he/she wants for the franchise, hire the right people, and get out of the way. But what isn't a good model is for the owner to be a jellyfish with no backbone and not to convey much of anything except the bottom line. Kroneke has provided no direction or goal, he has not made clear his mission in winning as a culture, and he has never stated pubically that he wants to win like say the Wellington Family or Robert Kraft in New England. Kroneke is like a bad cough or rash. You know its there, you just wish it would go away. All he ahs transmitted is a losing culture that he was part of when teh Queen Idiot was running this glorified dog and pony show.

Although Kroneke hired Snisher, he apparently has done little to articulate what he wants from them and left to their devices, we get this scatter-brained almost schizophrenic result that everyone just cannot believe their eyes. Something like we all witness last evening. This conflagaration of j.v. high school football mixed with professional level players and coaches getting schooled on the fundamentals of the game and snickered at when even multiple blitzes failed to reach the opposing QB ALL NIGHT LONG!!! This took place in a stadium that doesn't even have the team colors on the seats and more of the oppositon fans show up than the team's in a shit hole of a building that sends a message embodied by a completely spineless, overpaid QB standing on the sidelines, collecting an overpriced paycheck, and spitting sunflower seeds on teh fake grass like he has a no cares in the world. You don't find that sort of shit even at Raiders or Browns games.

Coupled with failed drafts for 15 years and coaches who are selling one thing and producing another and you have what we witnessed last night and will probably see again for the next ten weeks. Get used to it Rams fans because unless this owner takes the reins of his own franchise and begins a new vision that provides the basis for a winning culture by establishing and fostering an environment for a team to have a heart, soul, and a goal of winning, little will change except for that once-in-a-100 years happenstance when we again will luck out and hoist another Superbowl trophy.

Afterall, even a blind squirrel stumbles onto a nut once and awhile!:lol:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And now for the statistical side of last night's "event". After scoring quickly on two nice and methodical drives in the first quarter with little errors and a defense holding the Niners to 0 points, we completly came apart and got our assess handed to us.

On Offense. The Positives. In the first quarter, the offense was clicking. Even Shittenheimer got praised by Gruden in the booth for being masterful and spreading the offense around to everybody and calling a great game. Davis was hitting receivers, receivers were catching the ball, the O-line was run and pass blocking, Greg Robinson was having a very good game against Justin Smith. Tavon Austin was playing, and suddenly we had two quick scores. Tre Mason and Benny Cunningham were hit huge holes and then it all fell apart.

Davis finished the game going 21 of 42 for 216 yards compared to Kaepernick who went 22 of 36 for a whopping 343 yards. Tre Mason was the high man in the running game going 5 carries for 40 yards. Top man on receiving was Jared Cook with 4 catches for 74 yards followed by Kenny Britt with 3 catches for 39 yards. In the first quarter, the O-line was not penalized and we gave up no sacks. They blocked well and the production reflected their play.

On Offense. The negatives. Beginning the second quarter, the blocking began to break down, three and outs began to show up, and we started dropping passes primarily by Jared Cook. Jake Long was getting beat and we had numerous problems handling the Niners D-line stunts and blitzes that caused men rushing free to take shots at Davis. This conflaration just got worse as the game went on. Davis threw a pick six late in the game that simply ended a long an agonizing game of ass whippin that seemed to have no end.

On Defense. The Positives. Our run defense last evening was excellent. This was the first game we held the opponent to under 100 yards from a runner, Frank Gore that has had career games against us in the past. We held the Niners to a paltry 89 yards while we rushed for 93 yards. We also played some decent pass defense in the first quarter until things came undone. E.J. Gaines, T.J. McDonald, and LaMarcus Joyner can flat out hit people and all three, if properly coached will be great players.

On Defense. The Negatives. The refs got into the mix with an unbelievable defensive series right before the half that cost us a go ahead TD on a defense called by Williams that had no saftey help for Jenkins who bit on a fake by an ex-Ram receiver. Aaron Donald was so blatantly held twice in that series that were not called after this same ref crew called Jared Cook on an illegal pick block that simply could not be found and totally snuffed our momentum for the rest of the game. I could not believe my eyes. Janoris Jenkins was simply beat all night long. When he wasn't holding, he was getting beat and he hates to tackle apparently. Time to sit this fellow.

On STs. The positives. They managed to keep the negatives to a minimum and Hekker punted well and Zuerlein added a FG late in the game to keep us in contention.

On STs. The Negatives. A blocked punt and the usually penalties continued last evening.

Overall, I am not sure this team is ever going to get unstuck from rebuild mode. But starting Sunday, we shall see if they took any positive steps under a coach that the game has apparently passed him by. We are now 1-4. We have been here before many times. Unfortunately too many times.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to disagree with anything you posted. Nice write up!

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I just know what to say. LOL

I'm at that point in the season again where I go do something else on sundays. I check my phone for the score, but it's not a high priority.

And our schedule is brutal.

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I just know what to say. LOL

I'm at that point in the season again where I go do something else on sundays. I check my phone for the score, but it's not a high priority.

And our schedule is brutal.

Ugh... Don't remind me. Speaking honestly... remove the luck factor and the only truly "winnable" game left is against the Raiders. And even that one is iffy.

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugh... Don't remind me. Speaking honestly... remove the luck factor and the only truly "winnable" game left is against the Raiders. And even that one is iffy.

:lame:

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks retro, exactly well put on our past, present and to the point now, the future. I agree with everything you said about the game. For some reason Shotts can not get out of the locker room after the half. Even with the blow of the 80 yd TD before half, the bright play calling that gave the Rams a 14-0 lead was never brought out after half. example: We lined Austin up at tailback and he juiced for 9 yards on a burst, he was never in the backfield again. Really? I coached high school football for 15 seasons and the golden rule is make your opponent stop what is working. The 49ers didn't have to because we didn't do it again. That is just lame and stupid. It will be a long season because the schedule even gets rougher. As good as it looked early with Robinson, Donald and others playing well with finally a chance, it is the coaches and culture that turn even a great start into a shit hole mess in the end. Austin Davis did his best to wear the Rams colors proud but it is a 53 man game and the sideline idiots must look at themselves to turn what appears to be a #5 pick around. I don't think the mentality to do that is there. I will watch ever minute but understand that until it changes at the top, the bottom will hit the barrel.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree Blue. That "make-your-opponent-stop-what's-working has never been an axiom the Rams have cultured since Vermiel among the coaching ranks. I am always amazed how quickly Shittenheimer goes away from something that works and the more spectacular, the more he runs from it. I have often commented to myself in watching a game: "Why don't we do x, y, or z that worked earlier?" It is yet another observation that supports the evidence that this franchise has no culture of winning in their heads but the default system is find a way to lose because we are the Rams.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another great writeup Retro, being a Ram fan is a dead end job.

We are sick in the head.

Jermaine133

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've reached an epiphany that Ram football can be compared to capitalism, in a since that not everybody can be at the top as there has to be someone at the bottom. The rams are just that bottom feeding team and that's the conclusion that i draw from it. Other teams can get a good coach turn the club around and have success for years, however the rams are just meant to be a shitty football team. It is that simple, a door mat for others to become successful. I don't get the point in moving the club to LA just to be shitty there. The team is straight ass from head to toe and has been for the last 10 years and sad to say I really don't see it changing anytime soon. But its cool; I've also compared them to a cast system where there is no real mobility within the culture to move up. Sad but True, they are just mean to be losers.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's sad how much this game paralleled the Bills/Pats game I suffered through on Sunday. Bills are a better team right now though, just missing the QB (and maybe coaching as well). I wonder if that's a good landing spot for Bradford next year...

RamsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great post Retro and you are so right, this owner has to hire a new GM which in turn will hire a new coach. This Snead and Fisher regime has just been terrible with their overall draft picks the last three years.

With all the QB's, WR's and RB's that have been drafted in the last three years and with all the high draft picks we had, don't you think we could have done better than this group :

QB - Garrett Gilbert and free agent Austin Davis
RB - Isiah Pead, Zac Stacy, Bennie Cunningham, Tre Mason
WR - Brian Quick, Tavon Austin, Steadman Bailey, Chris Givens

There is not one player on that list that would start for any other NFL team . That list should be shown to Kroneke every day after the end of this horrible season and he should be asked : Do you really want these two guys to run another NFL Draft for your team ?

Let's just hope there is someone in the organization that cares enough to show Kroneke how bad these two are at talent evaluation and that he makes the right decision and starts over.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB - Garrett Gilbert (6th round) and free agent Austin Davis (UDFA)
RB - Isaiah Pead (2nd round), Zac Stacy (5th round), Bennie Cunningham (UDFA), Tre Mason (3rd round, looked good Mon night)
WR - Brian Quick (2nd round), Tavon Austin (1st round), Stedman Bailey (3rd round), Chris Givens (4th round)

How many late round and undrafted players become starters? Sure, Pead has been a bust, and Givens appears headed that way, I'll give you that. Quick has been the Rams best receiver this year, Bailey needs more reps (in place of Britt?), and Austin unfortunately is in Schitty's hands. Based on Monday night's production, I would expect Mason to get worked in more and more. Stacy could start (or at least be involved in a 2 back rotation) for many teams.

RamsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point is that the Rams skill players on offense might collectively be the weakest in the NFL. The talent level is very low compared to what could have been drafted in the last 3 years. It is not like they didn't have the draft picks to use , they just essentially did not evaluate the talent correctly.

Look at the example of the Herschel Walker trade with Dallas and the Vikings, the key to the trade wasn't getting the picks, it was choosing the right players in the draft. Jimmy Johnson and Jerry Jones made the right choices and the Rams with Fisher and Snead did not when they had extra draft choices from the RG3 trade.

I will give Fisher the benefit of the doubt because of his prior success and give him another year but Les Snead has to be replaced after these drafts and then not signing a better back up this year then a 13 year veteran who hadn't started in 4 years.

The organization needs to make a change if the Rams go 4 -12 this year and Snead is the logical choice to go.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you know Ramsfan that Jimmie made 55 total trades with those picks he got from the Vikes over a three year period. He kept his number ones and chose Emmitt Smith among others but he added value FAs like Charles Haley and Ken Norton Jr. He built his O-line with those picks and trades. Very shrewed indeed. Not us. We get a gift like Washington gave us and we, by default, eff it up selecting projects and second and third tier players along with FAs whose careers are over. Just nuts.

Jermaine133

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That falls on the GM, and the idiot coach who chose to let the project players stay projects instead of giving them direct instruction on what THEY will be playing. Fisher has not earned his salary, and honestly needs to be paid like the bottom feeding coach he is; there is hope that both will be canned at the end of the season.