• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Flyers Select Ivan Provorov 7th Overall

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am encouraged that they got the signing out of the way quickly unlike Morin and Sanheim. Having already cleared up the Grossmann/Pronger hits may have made that an easier decision.

IMHO we could see two of the prospects before Thanksgiving in the Orange and black blue line. I am not sure which two...it never seems to be who you expect. Really it will come down to camp performance and roster space. IF they can move out at least one more "older" player than it is more likely.

Right now I think we going something like:

Streit-MacDonald
Schenn-Schultz
Gudas-Del Zotto
Manning

...but I think our FO might be itching to at least see if Provorov can stick in the NHL after a 9 game trial. Manning is easily waived and either Schenn or Gudas scratched. I don't think Sanheim makes the cut just because of how crowded our D is and that he either has to stay in the NHL or go back to junior. When someone gets injured it might be Manning coming back into the lineup, but I think we'd all rather see Gostisbehere or Morin get some time. Wonder who Hextall and Hakstol would give the first shot to.

I do think Provorov and Sanheim could easily both become dominant, top pairing defensemen. Perhaps the others are more of a project with lesser potential and a lower ceiling, but they can still be top four and that's perfectly fine with me.

At least we are finally drafting and developing defensemen. This homegrown talent stuff is fun.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is especially fun when the entire core of defensemen we have on the way are all around the same age and the top four show an absolute ton of potential for greatness.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...but I think our FO might be itching to at least see if Provorov can stick in the NHL after a 9 game trial. Manning is easily waived and either Schenn or Gudas scratched. I don't think Sanheim makes the cut just because of how crowded our D is and that he either has to stay in the NHL or go back to junior. When someone gets injured it might be Manning coming back into the lineup, but I think we'd all rather see Gostisbehere or Morin get some time. Wonder who Hextall and Hakstol would give the first shot to.

^^^
This.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that I look back out the defense I posted I forgot to include Medvedev. With the money the is making and the age that he is coming to America he must be guaranteed a spot.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really is less and less about how will be make the team next season it is more about who will be gone to make room for him. Just a great selection. Glad he spent another entire year in Juniors to really refine more aspects of his game.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really is less and less about how will be make the team next season it is more about who will be gone to make room for him. Just a great selection. Glad he spent another entire year in Juniors to really refine more aspects of his game.
I think the top 6 will be - Streit, Ghost, Gudas Schultz, MDZ and Provorov. A Mac will be #7 (no reason to send him down for a cap savings next year. Neither Medvedev or Manning will be resigned. Morin, Hagg and Alt are call ups if the injury bug hits.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the top 6 will be - Streit, Ghost, Gudas Schultz, MDZ and Provorov. A Mac will be #7 (no reason to send him down for a cap savings next year. Neither Medvedev or Manning will be resigned. Morin, Hagg and Alt are call ups if the injury bug hits.
I have a hard time believing Streit is on the roster next year. Very confident he gets moved at the draft.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Honestly, I think that's potentially a very strong top four and a very underrated bottom pairing.

And I think we do have the luxury of not having to deal Streit, but with Provorov on the way, we can take the right offer if it comes along.

chy1127

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I think that's potentially a very strong top four and a very underrated bottom pairing.

And I think we do have the luxury of not having to deal Streit, but with Provorov on the way, we can take the right offer if it comes along.

This is my thinking. If we were offered a 1st at the draft, I think he is gone. If he isn't he is still a decent dman with some offensive upside.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is my thinking. If we were offered a 1st at the draft, I think he is gone. If he isn't he is still a decent dman with some offensive upside.
I think they should move him if offered a 2nd or 3rd as well. He is slowing down and his offensive skills are not as valuable as before with the emergence of Ghost and Del Zotto. If nothing else, it clears his 5.25 cap hit. That paired with Umberger's buyout and that's roughly 7.5 million in cap space opened up.

chy1127

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they should move him if offered a 2nd or 3rd as well. He is slowing down and his offensive skills are not as valuable as before with the emergence of Ghost and Del Zotto. If nothing else, it clears his 5.25 cap hit. That paired with Umberger's buyout and that's roughly 7.5 million in cap space opened up.
Believe me, if he is moved, I wont lose sleep. I like the idea of young guys being around a veteran like Streit for a year. I think it would help for developmental purposes.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Believe me, if he is moved, I wont lose sleep. I like the idea of young guys being around a veteran like Streit for a year. I think it would help for developmental purposes.

I agree. Do any of us really think that our resurgence late this season doesn't have something to do with Streit finally getting 100% healthy? He's not putting up huge numbers (and he doesn't need to either), but he had a dominant February, then was perhaps overused some early this month. He was getting enormous minutes and now that has tailed off considerably, so perhaps we're preserving him a bit at this stage. This is also due to guys like Ghost, Gudas and MacDonald taking on more responsibilities and improving.

He's still getting 20 per game. If he's not a very effective player, then how are we winning so often? I think he fits in nicely if we keep him. I don't think his age is a factor here. Yes, he's 38, but he has only 10 years of Nhl wear and tear on his body. If there were ever a fresh 38 year old, it would be him.

Last edited: