• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Final Keeper?

SoShady

QB Factory
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not in love with any of my final keeper options. I have the choice of Piscotty, Mazara, Renfroe, W Davis and Giles. I have been shopping for a improvement with no luck. This league is pretty crazy with closer drafting. Within the top 2-3 rounds most of if not all of the top 3 tiers of closers will be drafted. That makes me think keeping a closer is a solid play. Not boxing myself into two closers in the first 3 rounds of our draft. While both are not super solid. Both offer plenty of upside for big save numbers. Mazara and Renfroe will be up and down but give me more power but more than likely will hurt my average. While Piscotty doesn't have much upside but is the safer OF option. I ended up with the 7th pick in the draft. We do random draft positions each season. No restrictions on keepers. So I can keep them forever with no round loss.

16 Teams Roto
R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG
W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP
C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, IF, 4 OF, UT, 2 SP, 2 RP, 3 P

Keepers
Rizzo
Arenado
Stanton
Darvish

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If closers are so tough to draft and your league values them so highly, then it is an easy answer... Keep Giles...

SoShady

QB Factory
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it's a bit of a madhouse on closers for some reason. Most of my leagues are full dynasty if they are 12 or larger. So I don't know if this is the norm for partial keeper 16 team leagues. But more than likely my 1st or 2nd round will need to be a closer as well if I want two quality options. One team looks like they are keeping Jansen and Chapman in his 5 keepers.

I could trade for Kimbrel. But that really depends on if you see him as a clear upgrade over Giles. Looking over the rankings that doesn't seem to be the case. While some have Giles ahead of Kimbrel. The difference is wide as some have Kimbrel just outside the top 10. While others have him top 5. But I don't think it makes much sense giving up a 3rd for Kimbrel and a 5th when I have Giles already.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He was my thought as well, but Milk has a good point about closer crazy leagues. Giles could also be a very nice keeper. Kinda goes against my grain, but there's no reason Giles couldn't end up as a top 5 closer, honestly. Just sayin'.

However, I really like Piscotty as a solid, solid pick with good upside.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The position players on your list are not difference makers.

If closers come at a premium, then your choice comes down to Giles or Davis. Davis is the safe veteran option, Giles has the upside.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No way.

I get that Piscotty has some upside, but he is not a keeper choice in league where you only take 6.

If you like Piscotty, you can easily redraft him, and it probably won't cost you a pick in the first 4 rounds. This selection is all about value. Giles and Davis will both cost more in the redraft, and Piscotty does not have elite upside.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way.

I get that Piscotty has some upside, but he is not a keeper choice in league where you only take 6.

If you like Piscotty, you can easily redraft him, and it probably won't cost you a pick in the first 4 rounds. This selection is all about value. Giles and Davis will both cost more in the redraft, and Piscotty does not have elite upside.

Yeah, I get that, but Giles has been up and down and certainly has capable guys behind him should he struggle. Davis had a bad second half last year coupled with an elbow injury and a new crazy ass manager.

I get the appeal, but I'm not keeping closers that aren't elite.

Piscotty is not elite either, I get that, but he's a pretty safe bet for 170+ R/RBI, 60+ 2b/HR, with a good AVG.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I get that, but Giles has been up and down and certainly has capable guys behind him should he struggle. Davis had a bad second half last year coupled with an elbow injury and a new crazy ass manager.

I get the appeal, but I'm not keeping closers that aren't elite.

Piscotty is not elite either, I get that, but he's a pretty safe bet for 170+ R/RBI, 60+ 2b/HR, with a good AVG.

Sure.

I don't want safe with a keeper in a 6 keeper league though. If closers go early, a closer is the choice here.

Odds are Piscotty will never be a high quality keeper option (I think he has a 4th/5th round ceiling). Giles had elite closer potential, which is similar in terms of round value, but Giles is more valuable today. The only way I am keeping one of those OFs is if I think they have Mookie Betts potential. I do not think these guys do.

SoShady

QB Factory
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm getting some trade interest in Mazara now as the deadline looms. How much would it take for you guys to give him up? I have a trade available to me but I feel like it's a overpayment. I can get B Hamilton but he wants me to drop 3 picks in the 3rd and 5th rounds while giving up my 6th for his 9th. I love the steals but everything else he does is horrible.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm getting some trade interest in Mazara now as the deadline looms. How much would it take for you guys to give him up? I have a trade available to me but I feel like it's a overpayment. I can get B Hamilton but he wants me to drop 3 picks in the 3rd and 5th rounds while giving up my 6th for his 9th. I love the steals but everything else he does is horrible.

I would say you should be able to sell Mazara as having more long term value than Billy. That said, Billy gets a bad rap, and if the Reds would just leave him at the top of the lineup, he would be more than fine. With 600 at bats, he can hit .250/.320 OBP, 85 R, 70 SB. He has to stay healthy though, otherwise you're left with 65 R, 55 SB (still not bad)... but I wouldn't trade Mazara for him if I'm giving up more in the picks part of the deal; and I'm not even a big Mazara fan.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no sleeper arms with upside worth mentioning?

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no sleeper arms with upside worth mentioning?

the trendy one is Lance McCullers... But honestly, i don't know how comfortable i am with a pitcher who has yet to pitch 130 innings... Chances are that that his ceiling in innings is 175...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say you should be able to sell Mazara as having more long term value than Billy. That said, Billy gets a bad rap, and if the Reds would just leave him at the top of the lineup, he would be more than fine. With 600 at bats, he can hit .250/.320 OBP, 85 R, 70 SB. He has to stay healthy though, otherwise you're left with 65 R, 55 SB (still not bad)... but I wouldn't trade Mazara for him if I'm giving up more in the picks part of the deal; and I'm not even a big Mazara fan.

the only reason Hamilton should stay at the top is because the reds suck... He is not a top of the lineup guy, not until he learns how to take a walk.... you say a .320 OBP, but that is pretty bad for a lead off, even if he can steal 70+ bases...

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the only reason Hamilton should stay at the top is because the reds suck... He is not a top of the lineup guy, not until he learns how to take a walk.... you say a .320 OBP, but that is pretty bad for a lead off, even if he can steal 70+ bases...

yup... thing about that, they do suck... but 90 runs, is 90 runs. 69 in 411 ab's last year, so 90 in 600+ isn't a stretch... 36 walks can also turn into 50 with 200 more ab's.

SoShady

QB Factory
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TKO those are two separate deals. Sorry if that was a confusing post by me ;). I have one owner who is interested in Mazara and another who was shopping Hamilton. I have one other SP on my protection list and that is Z Greinke. A couple owners are shopping G Cole, DeGrom and Sale. I inquired on the first two and have yet to get a response back from 4 days ago. While I have no inquired for Sale at this point.

If we are talking about random sleeper SP's. How about T Walker for the D Backs. Was a big time prospect. But never put it together in Seattle. He could put up big numbers if it's finally coming together for him.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yup... thing about that, they do suck... but 90 runs, is 90 runs. 69 in 411 ab's last year, so 90 in 600+ isn't a stretch... 36 walks can also turn into 50 with 200 more ab's.

if i was Bryan Price(had to look that up) during the preseason i would for every PA by Hamilton and Peraza, i would have them quizzed on whether a pitch was a ball or a strike... Once they get good pitch recognition(if it ever happens) they would be monsters on top of that lineup... without it they are doomed to become pinch runners...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TKO those are two separate deals. Sorry if that was a confusing post by me ;). I have one owner who is interested in Mazara and another who was shopping Hamilton. I have one other SP on my protection list and that is Z Greinke. A couple owners are shopping G Cole, DeGrom and Sale. I inquired on the first two and have yet to get a response back from 4 days ago. While I have no inquired for Sale at this point.

If we are talking about random sleeper SP's. How about T Walker for the D Backs. Was a big time prospect. But never put it together in Seattle. He could put up big numbers if it's finally coming together for him.

Eh... the easy saying is never trust a pitcher who changes leagues... But i would add to that(as i don't totally agree with that)... I think you should never trust a pitcher who changes leagues and goes from a pitching friendly ballpark to a hitters friendly ballpark..

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was asking about any arms you didn't mention in your OP... as opposed to keeping a closer or Piscotty.

:suds: