• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fear the Walking Dead

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a great trailer. So far the only thing I don't like is the name of the show. Yeah, I suppose I am being picky.
I dont disagree. Maybe they should have just gone with "Fear", but I think they wanted "The Walking Dead" in the title for marketing purposed.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This looks fantastic. Much larger scale than TWD. This will take us right up to the premiere of TWD.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont disagree. Maybe they should have just gone with "Fear", but I think they wanted "The Walking Dead" in the title for marketing purposed.

There's prolly all sorts of copyright nonsense if they branch too far from their title.

Fear is too vague. The Dead prolly couldn't get past Bob Weir's agent. Meh...the title could definitely be better, but at least it won't slide past anyone or go unnoticed.

Bunkamania

ESPN Defector
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the idea of this being a prequel. It will make for a good mini series. I don't know how they can prolong the outbreak to make the show last for more than a season or, two though. And, in my opinion, I don't feel that we need a 2nd TWD show. There isn't really a reason to over saturate the genre like they do with everything else, fat loser makeovers, singing contests, reality crap (keeping up with the honey boo-boo housewives of some city).

For the record, I really like TWD and look forward to this take on the series. I just don't want the show to get ruined because someone wants to capitalize on a cash grab.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way they've left everything unknown in TWD, regarding how, why or what.....as soon as they said it would be dealing with the onset and origins, I was intrigued.

This is dangerous ground they're treading on here now though. They don't want to follow down the Planet of the Apes path. Great original film but two different origin stories have been attempted in Conquest of the Planet of the Apes and Rise of the Planet of the Apes, and both were goofy as shit and made absolutely zero sense. Same argument could be made for the Alien franchise with Prometheus.

Not saying this is going to happen in this case, the trailer looks good, but sometimes it's better to leave the mysterious origins alone.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt they will actually deal with the "Why" or the "How". I think this will deal with the "What" and the "When".

Again, Kirkman has been very adamant that he does not want to deal with how it started or anything to do with a cure.

So is this just another group trying to survive in the ZA, only starting their story earlier? Will this be like The Strain?

I have no idea. I do fear that this will saturate the market, but if Kirkman doesn't do it, someone else will. There are already at least 2 other Z-shows out now. TWD's shelf life is not infinite. He has to strike while the fire is hot. Quality will likely suffer. Such is life.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think The Walking Dead is great enough on its own, to still stand alone and be great, even if Fear sucks bawls.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt they will actually deal with the "Why" or the "How". I think this will deal with the "What" and the "When".

Again, Kirkman has been very adamant that he does not want to deal with how it started or anything to do with a cure.

So is this just another group trying to survive in the ZA, only starting their story earlier? Will this be like The Strain?

I have no idea. I do fear that this will saturate the market, but if Kirkman doesn't do it, someone else will. There are already at least 2 other Z-shows out now. TWD's shelf life is not infinite. He has to strike while the fire is hot. Quality will likely suffer. Such is life.

Good news then, that's the right way to do it. I'd say that the market was already saturated with zombie stuff before The Walking Dead came out though. That's one of the reasons it took me so long to get into it. As long as the new show has a solid story and I don't think there is anything to be worried about.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TWD was the first ever zombie TV show. How could the market have been saturated?

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TWD was the first ever zombie TV show. How could the market have been saturated?

Agreed, TWD caused the saturation. There may have been stuff out there, but it exploded after TWD became a hit.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Zombie stuff was all over the place much before that. Every other movie that came out for several years seemed like it was zombie related. A bunch of Resident Evil films that never end, Dawn of the Dead, Fido, 28 Days Later and sequel, Zombieland, Dead Snow, I Am Legend basically got turned into a zombie film, Shaun of the Dead, even Pirates of the Caribbean was trying to cash in on that. Then there's the endless supply of zombie based video games like Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, Dead Rising 1 and 2, every Call of Duty after Modern Warfare 1 had zombie mode, Dead Nation, Red Dead Redemption tried to cash in on the zombie craze. That's just stuff that came out before the Walking Dead aired, there have been tons more since.

I get your point about there not being any zombie TV shows, but zombie shit was everywhere when the show premiered. I had no idea it was based on a graphic novel so I figured it was just another zombie related product trying to ride the craze when I first heard of it.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are including a bucket the size of about 20 years, so of course you can create a large list. When you look at the number of movies out there, what you listed is not that much at all. Especially compared to all the Vampire garbage that was out there.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never read the books but I know the original series got a lot of its source material from books. Is this show expected to be entirely original?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never read the books but I know the original series got a lot of its source material from books. Is this show expected to be entirely original?
Yes.

The original is probably 80% from the books. There are books for the new show to be base on, so it is 100% original.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are including a bucket the size of about 20 years, so of course you can create a large list. When you look at the number of movies out there, what you listed is not that much at all. Especially compared to all the Vampire garbage that was out there.

I'll agree with you there. The Vampire shit is saturated too, probably more so than the zombie stuff, but that doesn't mean the zombie genre wasn't saturated. Everything I listed only went back 8 years before the Walking Dead premiered unless you count the Resident Evil video games.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll agree with you there. The Vampire shit is saturated too, probably more so than the zombie stuff, but that doesn't mean the zombie genre wasn't saturated. Everything I listed only went back 8 years before the Walking Dead premiered unless you count the Resident Evil video games.

Have you seen the movie Afficted? Completely different take on Vampires.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you seen the movie Afficted? Completely different take on Vampires.

Just watched the trailer. Looks like one of those found footage types of films. I'm usually not a fan but I may check it out if it's adding something new to the genre.

I actually used to watch a lot of vampire movies until the Twilight crap came along. I've heard What We Do In the Shadows is really good, but it's more of a comedy. I'd recommend Let The Right One In or the English re-make Let Me In for a cool take on the genre and one of the best films out there.