• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Extra Inning Pace of Play Experiments

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks. I probably knew that, just didn't bother. You might be surprised who knows who in baseball. The guys I mentioned are pretty active in supplying talent to the affiliated leagues.

I wouldn't disagree. However, I'm not confident that Torre would be calling them for advise on rule changes.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if the impetus is to avoid the 18-inning marathon (that most people like talking about), what the fuck are we talking about here?

I just wanted to voice my opinion about how stupid this proposal is, based on how stupid it is when it's actually applied.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hate the whole idea.

They fucked up when they eliminated collisions because Buster Posey doesn't know how to block the plate. Don't want to see any more fuck ups.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're gonna have fiestas at Encarnacion's this year in leu of parties at Napoli's.

When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's Na-poli.

I wouldn't disagree. However, I'm not confident that Torre would be calling them for advise on rule changes.

At least, I hope somebody in MLB actually DOES call somebody who was victimized by this rule. These days, I wonder if anybody actually researches anything. Lucky we have the Internet to make us all stupid.

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fuck that stupid rule. I'd rather see ties

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fuck that stupid rule. I'd rather see ties
Honestly, thats a better solution but I'd at least give a 10th inning as an 'overtime' inning of sorts. Its something that would still test a team's pitching depth without having them do something super silly that would compromise them for the next game.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck you both.
Eh, its better than having Lady Gaga come out for half an hour during the 7th inning.

Baseball still has the whole 'boring' image problem with like half of the country. Things like this and a pitch clock could speed the game up for newer generations.

That said, there is part of me that still says 'f all that, get rid of the dh and give me the real stuff' but we all have some 'get off my lawn' in us.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is part of the whole "we need to attract young fans to the sport and they've all got ADD, so we need to increase the pace of play" bullshit.

First of all, this wouldn't change the pace of play. It would shorten some games, but that's it.

Secondly, someone on MLB Channel this morning had an idea - if you want to attract more young fans, instead of fucking with the rules, maybe trying adjusting ticket/concession prices so that families (with young kids) could afford to go to more games live. I thought that was a good idea.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, thats a better solution but I'd at least give a 10th inning as an 'overtime' inning of sorts. Its something that would still test a team's pitching depth without having them do something super silly that would compromise them for the next game.
But compromising them for the next game is kinda the point. 162 games is a marathon. Everything you do today affects tomorrow. That is the beauty of baseball.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, its better than having Lady Gaga come out for half an hour during the 7th inning.
giphy.gif

Baseball still has the whole 'boring' image problem with like half of the country. Things like this and a pitch clock could speed the game up for newer generations.

Pitch clocks fine. They do speed up the pace of play and don't change the game in any material way. Changing extra innings? Does not increase pace and drastically changes what is, in my opinion, part of the soul of baseball - you play until there's a winner.

That said, there is part of me that still says 'f all that, get rid of the dh and give me the real stuff' but we all have some 'get off my lawn' in us.

I can't really relate to that. I was born in '76, so I wasn't even swimming around in my dad's balls when AL pitchers were hitting.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But compromising them for the next game is kinda the point. 162 games is a marathon. Everything you do today affects tomorrow. That is the beauty of baseball.
The 'beauty of baseball' also creates that disconnect between the 'winning 95 games and not the 11 or 12' as you put it. The deepest teams and the best playoffs teams are often different breeds.

I'm pretty indifferent. The best managed teams will figure out a way to build their teams around the new rules. The question becomes whether or not it makes the game better. The runner on 2nd thing is risky. Reminds me of the whole 'NBA pushing the ball to halfcourt on timeout' thing and I think that would make the end of most baseball games look too similar.

In some ways, the beauty of baseball is that it seems like you see something new every game even though there are so many games. Extra innings does add to that.

I just don't see how people can be defensive about this stuff when the DH exists. Thats a massive alteration of basic rules and changes many things.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know we've had our differences in the past, but would you like to go camping?

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hot girls get in free.

That would increase attendance for the younger generation

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 'beauty of baseball' also creates that disconnect between the 'winning 95 games and not the 11 or 12' as you put it. The deepest teams and the best playoffs teams are often different breeds.

For sure. Just because the playoffs aren't infallible at determining what the best teams in a given season are, doesn't mean we have to change the game so much.

Also, bring collisions back. Fucker.