• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Extra Inning Pace of Play Experiments

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Among other "Pace of Play" experiments they're trying a new rule in the minors, where extra innings would start with a runner on 2nd. How would they determine which runner is on 2nd?? Would it be the last out from the previous inning or what?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Among other "Pace of Play" experiments they're trying a new rule in the minors, where extra innings would start with a runner on 2nd. How would they determine which runner is on 2nd?? Would it be the last out from the previous inning or what?
Id imagine each team would pick a pinch runner.

Youd have to throw out stats once the 10th inning hits otherwise it'd be a mess.

I could see this being a good thing but it's also not real baseball.

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id imagine each team would pick a pinch runner.

Youd have to throw out stats once the 10th inning hits otherwise it'd be a mess.

I could see this being a good thing but it's also not real baseball.
Yeah, I think it's actually a good idea for Minor League Baseball but a bad one for the Majors. Good for minors to speed things up and reduce wear and tear on pitcher's arms in what is basically an irrelevant game. For Majors I think it's too much of a change from tradition.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think it's actually a good idea for Minor League Baseball but a bad one for the Majors. Good for minors to speed things up and reduce wear and tear on pitcher's arms in what is basically an irrelevant game. For Majors I think it's too much of a change from tradition.
It isn't nearly as game altering as the DH since extra inning games are so rare.

I'm open to see them try this out in the minors permanently and if it's a rousing success then maybe bringing it up for the regular season. 95% chance that doesn't happen.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck this noise.

I hate how other sports change the rules for overtime or have ties. That's shit's for pussies. They're professional athletes getting paid millions of dollars to play a game - play the damn game until theres a damn winner.

"but, but, they won't get their beauty sleep!" It's pathetic.

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck this noise.

I hate how other sports change the rules for overtime or have ties. That's shit's for pussies. They're professional athletes getting paid millions of dollars to play a game - play the damn game until theres a damn winner.

That's a very valid point. Makes a lot of sense to me to just keep playing the normal rules until there is a winner.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not some brand new scheme, folks.

The international tiebreaker iwas used in a couple of indy leagues and was used for one year only in the American Association, another indy league. In the 11th, the last hitter from the 10th takes a spot on 2nd base. The outcome is usually a joke since a sac bunt gets the guy to 3rd and from there it's just ... it sucks.

The AA dropped the rule for the playoffs, which I thought was wrong, and finally scrapped it completely after 1 year.

The point was to keep people from dizzying out over extra innings but the fact was, it had zero effect on the game because fans were already leaving the ballpark after the 9th inning. Indy ball is like that. The strategy it included was typical, predictable and achieved none of the goals it wanted.

The Can-Am still used it last year. I have NO idea how they count the stats. Clearly there is not a total base to be included. Run scored, RBI, etc ... still real numbers, however.

There are simply not enough 11-inning games to make the rule practical. Even if there were, it doesn't make any difference. It was a despised rule in the AA.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck this noise.

I don't disagree with your rant but almost none of the players affected by this rule are making millions of anything.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I watched it for a whole season and it had none of these effects. All it did was give the visiting team the advantage because they usually scored first. Guy on 2nd, none out, sac him to 3rd ... hit anything that drives him in. The rule does nothing positive for the game other than make it interesting at the end.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn't nearly as game altering as the DH since extra inning games are so rare.

I'm open to see them try this out in the minors permanently and if it's a rousing success then maybe bringing it up for the regular season. 95% chance that doesn't happen.

Last year, 185 out of 2,357 MLB games went into extras. That's 8%, so let's not act like it's some incredibly rare occurrence.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
S8rVo3b.gif

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year, 185 out of 2,357 MLB games went into extras. That's 8%, so let's not act like it's some incredibly rare occurrence.

I botched this figure. I quickly added up the wins and losses of each team and apparently went too fast. What's crazy is that the wins and losses I tallied both added up to 2,357, so I thought I was accurate. I only counted 9 of the Marlins' 79 wins and only 6 of the Cardinals' 76 losses. I missed two key strokes, both sevens, one in the win column and one in the loss, which explains why the totals were equal.

I'm getting old. I used to be like greased lightening and accurate as fuck on a ten key. Two errors out of sixty entries. Getting old's a bitch.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were 2,427 MLB games in 2016. Fortunately for my point, 185 extra inning games is still about 8%. 7.5% if you want to split my pubes.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you talking about the minor leaguers?
The only regular use of the extra-inning rule I've ever seen is in the indy leagues (not affiliated).

I can say with a fair degree of certainty that the extra-inning rule would be cursed by everyone in baseball if anybody tries to apply it after spring training. And in ST, they don't play past 9 anyhow so nobody will get to use it. The rule was a fucking disaster in the American Association and was scrapped for the playoffs the same year it was used in the regular season (which meant it was used to help determine the playoff teams.)

MLB won't ever use this if they make a couple of phone calls to George Tsamos at St. Paul and Greg Tagert at Gary.

Extra innings past 10 is probably a little less common. FWIW, I don't get the sense that you support this ridiculous rule but the conversation seems to be pretty vibrant. To me, there's nothing like a 19-inning fiesta to screw up a pitching rotation!

And I think we'd all have been disappointed if the 2016 W.S. had gone past the 10th inning if this rule had been in place.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can say with a fair degree of certainty that the extra-inning rule would be cursed by everyone in baseball if anybody tries to apply it after spring training.

Check it out:

“Let’s see what it looks like,” said Joe Torre, the longtime major league manager who’s now MLB’s Chief Baseball Officer and a strong proponent of the testing. “It’s not fun to watch when you go through your whole pitching staff and wind up bringing a utility infielder in to pitch. As much as it’s nice to talk about being at an 18-inning game, it takes time.

“It’s baseball. I’m just trying to get back to that, where this is the game that people come to watch. It doesn’t mean you’re going to score. You’re just trying to play baseball.”

I understand that it's just being looked at, and you may think I'm being overzealous, but I hate the whole idea and I want to smash this maggoty egg before it hatches.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB won't ever use this if they make a couple of phone calls to George Tsamos at St. Paul and Greg Tagert at Gary.

And I'm sure Torre has those cats on speed dial. Probably looks to them for guidance on a daily basis. . .

Also, it's Tsamis. Not to give the impression that I knew that, had to google him.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that it's just being looked at, and you may think I'm being overzealous, but I hate the whole idea and I want to smash this maggoty egg before it hatches.

Torre is over-reacting to something that happens twice a year. I also laugh at managers who go through 4 pitchers in 2 innings of a game that's tied at 1-1 in the 8th inning. Having seen a lot of baseball over the centuries, I'd say there's a chance that it's not the game's fault, it's the managers. Looking back over the 20-inning games, there's usually about 3 situational pitching changes that happened in the 6th inning. Maybe teaching starters to go more than 99 pitches would help.

This is another bullshit idea, just like scrapping the IBB.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Extra innings past 10 is probably a little less common.

Yes, and extra innings past 11 less common than that. And extra innings past 12 even less still. So on and so on.

So if the impetus is to avoid the 18-inning marathon (that most people like talking about), what the fuck are we talking about here?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, it's Tsamis. Not to give the impression that I knew that, had to google him.

Thanks. I probably knew that, just didn't bother. You might be surprised who knows who in baseball. The guys I mentioned are pretty active in supplying talent to the affiliated leagues.