• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Examining Popular Trades

BearerOfGoodNews

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's thread on the Rams board that got me thinking about all the big time trades I can think of. Add to the thread others you think of.

I want to know which team you think made off with the better end of the trade.

Redskins - Rams (draft picks to move up and get RGIII or Luck, whoever was going to be available)

Giants - Chargers (Rivers + picks for Eli)

Saints - Redskins (Saints trade entire draft + 1st and 3rd of the following year for Ricky Williams)

Vikings - Cowboys (Cowboys receive 5 players and 6 draft picks, Vikings receive Hershel Walker)

-----

Redskins/Rams is too early to tell, IMO.

Giants/Chargers: Giants clearly won this trade.

Saints/Redskins: Redskins won this trade yet it baffles me how they didn't build a perennial winner with all those draft picks.

Vikings/Cowboys: lol, Cowboys clearly won this trade. Probably the most epic trade in both success and failure in NFL history.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's thread on the Rams board that got me thinking about all the big time trades I can think of. Add to the thread others you think of.

I want to know which team you think made off with the better end of the trade.

Redskins - Rams (draft picks to move up and get RGIII or Luck, whoever was going to be available)

Giants - Chargers (Rivers + picks for Eli)

Saints - Redskins (Saints trade entire draft + 1st and 3rd of the following year for Ricky Williams)

Vikings - Cowboys (Cowboys receive 5 players and 6 draft picks, Vikings receive Hershel Walker)

-----
Redskins 'win' the trade unless RG3 doesn't play for awhile or Rams get a HOF player out of the deal. The Rams have drafted 3 SEC defensive players (Brockers, Jenkins, Ogletree) with the deal so they have the right idea. I think this will be a rare 'win/win' trade like when the Rams got rid of Bettis to get Faulk back in the day.

Philip Rivers wins at least 2 Super Bowls on the Giants, imo. Its really a push, though, and I think its easy to just say 'Giants won' because everything else fell into place

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Chargers-Giants one is a tough one to pick. Yes the Giants have won two Superbowls but more because of their defense than actual play by Eli Manning. This is why the whole one player does not win a Superbowl thing has to really be taken into consideration. Rivers up until the last couple of years has been a top 5 quarterback in this league and has helped in the quick turnaround of the Chargers being the laughing stock of the NFL to for a while considered one of the most talented teams in the NFL. I do have to give this one to the Giants because of the two Superbowls but actual quarterback verse quarterback Rivers has had the better career of the two statistically other than in the one that matters most and that is Superbowl wins.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Clinton Portis for Champ Bailey & a 2nd rounder (I think): I think Denver won that trade.

BearerOfGoodNews

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Chargers-Giants one is a tough one to pick. Yes the Giants have won two Superbowls but more because of their defense than actual play by Eli Manning. This is why the whole one player does not win a Superbowl thing has to really be taken into consideration. Rivers up until the last couple of years has been a top 5 quarterback in this league and has helped in the quick turnaround of the Chargers being the laughing stock of the NFL to for a while considered one of the most talented teams in the NFL. I do have to give this one to the Giants because of the two Superbowls but actual quarterback verse quarterback Rivers has had the better career of the two statistically other than in the one that matters most and that is Superbowl wins.

Here's the trade in full:

Giants got Eli

Chargers got Rivers, Merriman, Oben and Kaeding

Rivers is a good QB, but he's been on incredibly talented football teams and hasn't really won anything.

Merriman can be considered a joke. Since the roids bust the dude fell off the face of the Earth.

Kaeding was a fine regular season kicker, but he choked how many post seasons away? 3?

Oben is a non-factor

As for the Giants defense won the two SBs more than Eli, that's a complete cliche. Yes in 2007-08 SB the Giants DL put a hurting on Brady. But the Giants defense also gave up the go ahead TD with less than two minutes to go. Eli put together his second 4th quarter go-ahead/game-winning TD drive in a SB. Only one other QB did that in NFL history.

Eli went on to put together a 3rd game winning TD drive in the SB in 2011 as well. After he lead the Giants to the post season with the 27th ranked defense and 32nd ranked rushing attack.

And look at his two SB postseason numbers... they are phenomenal.

By no means am I saying Eli is a phenomenal QB all around, but his 2007 SB run, 2011 season and 2011 SB run alone make this a no-brainer Giants win in the trade, IMO

BearerOfGoodNews

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clinton Portis for Champ Bailey & a 2nd rounder (I think): I think Denver won that trade.

You being a 49ers fan reminds me:

49ers - Buccaneers: 2nd and 4th round picks for Steve Young

Pretty sure the 49ers won that trade, lol

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the trade in full:

Giants got Eli

Chargers got Rivers, Merriman, Oben and Kaeding

Rivers is a good QB, but he's been on incredibly talented football teams and hasn't really won anything.

Merriman can be considered a joke. Since the roids bust the dude fell off the face of the Earth.

Kaeding was a fine regular season kicker, but he choked how many post seasons away? 3?

Oben is a non-factor

As for the Giants defense won the two SBs more than Eli, that's a complete cliche. Yes in 2007-08 SB the Giants DL put a hurting on Brady. But the Giants defense also gave up the go ahead TD with less than two minutes to go. Eli put together his second 4th quarter go-ahead/game-winning TD drive in a SB. Only one other QB did that in NFL history.

Eli went on to put together a 3rd game winning TD drive in the SB in 2011 as well. After he lead the Giants to the post season with the 27th ranked defense and 32nd ranked rushing attack.

And look at his two SB postseason numbers... they are phenomenal.

By no means am I saying Eli is a phenomenal QB all around, but his 2007 SB run, 2011 season and 2011 SB run alone make this a no-brainer Giants win in the trade, IMO

Ummmm you might want to recount how many Superbowls Eli has won because well your math is off. Hard to have 3 superbowl game winning drives when he has only been to 2 Superbowls.

I can get on board in Eli was at least a part of them winning those Superbowls heck even maybe a big part but for the most part the guy has been mediocre through most of his career. He has great games and has been great especially in 4th quarters of games but he has also cost his team some games and has struggled to really lift his team especially to the playoffs on a regular basis. He does seem to elevate his game come playoff time and that has to be taken into account but if your team doesn't make it to the playoffs it is hard to win a Superbowl.

Now as for Rivers...Yes he has been on some very talented teams and has not quite gotten it done but he has other than the last couple of years where he had no OL to speak of been a top 5 quarterback since starting in this league. Like I said other than the Superbowl titles he has outplayed Eli in about every way possible in their careers. I still give the nod to the Giants in this trade because they do have the Titles but Rivers has been no slouch. This is one of those few trades where both teams actually got good players out of it. The Giants won the trade but I think San Diego has been pretty happy with Rivers as well.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That statement emphasizes mistakenly confusing team accomplishments with QB play when trying to compare the two QBs. Rivers has played better than Eli over the entire courses of their careers. And getting Meriman in that deal definitely puts SD on top in that trade. He was a monster for a few years. Giants won two SBs while SD did little of note, but that isn't indicative of which team got the better players in the trade.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A really banged up Chargers team did go toe to toe with the Pats the same year Eli's Giants beat them. The Giants front office and coaching is just so much better than the Chargers. I don't think Eli would have ever developed in San Diego

Eriko212121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about Jerry Jones having the distinction of making the all time greatest trade and 2 of the worst. 2 #1's for Joey Galloway and a #1 and #3 for Roy Williams. That's 3 #1's and a #3 for a pair of complimentary WR's. Sweet! And we couldn't have used Shaun Alexander anyway lol