• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN out to get Duke...

Blaise Winter

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blaise gonna Blaise.

Nothing to see here. Move along

What are you talking about? Answer the question. If Krzyzewski did a "great job" coaching this year, how would you describe what Gard did against far greater odds?

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are you talking about? Answer the question. If Krzyzewski did a "great job" coaching this year, how would you describe what Gard did against far greater odds?
A better job. Did I ever say anything to the contrary? You act like someone acknowledging that K did a great job means Garb didn't. Like I said, Blaise gonna Blaise

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should beat Indiana. Duke beat the shit out of them earlier this season.

11-20, 2-16 Wake Forest also beat Indiana in November. Indiana is a way different team now. IU would'e beaten the shit out of Wake during conference play and would've had a competitive game with Duke. Tom Crean did a great job in re-focusing his team and they are going to give Carolina a run for their money.

Blaise Winter

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A better job. Did I ever say anything to the contrary? You act like someone acknowledging that K did a great job means Garb didn't. Like I said, Blaise gonna Blaise

I just don't think someone fortunate enough to field a team primarily made up of McDonalds All-Americans should get a pat on the back when he bows out at the Sweet Sixteen. It wasn't one of his best campaigns, let's quit pretending it was.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duke is now starting to move to the Kentucky method. It's tough to win titles when your guys are so young. Sometimes the talent overcomes but often the chemistry just never really develops. Don't get me wrong I'll take talent every time but if talent or recruiting alone won titles then UK would have won the last 6 or 7 titles. I honestly believe Coach K would much prefer the old way Duke won ( like the early 90s teams) but it's just not viable anymore. You either get studs and have to reload every year or you recruit good players and hope to make a deep run every 3 or 4 years.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaching has far less to do with it the more 1 and done type guys you get. The guys either gel together and want to win or th r yre just biding their time waiting for the NBA.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaching has far less to do with it the more 1 and done type guys you get. The guys either gel together and want to win or th r yre just biding their time waiting for the NBA.

That's still on coaching.....he recruited those players. Duke has more AAs than damn near every team in the nation.

I'm sorry, that's not a good coaching job to only beat the teams that are VASTLY inferior to you in talent. Coach K has done better in the past. I'm sure he'll do better in the future.

But this season he was ASS-TASTIC, no way around it.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again... You aren't getting the point everyone's making... Just because Duke didn't win it all doesn't mean he did a bad job. I guess you can only do a good job if you win the National Championship in your opinion.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
K is a great coach. Easily one of the best ever. Duke gets talent. Kentucky gets talent. It's easy to look at the stars, but occasionally it just doesn't click. Sometimes raw talent doesn't make that leap in year 1. Both Kentucky and Duke failed to meet expectations. I remember watching them play each other early in the season and I thought neither would be team would be top 5 if Cal and K were not the coaches. Sometimes expectation have more to do about the past, than the present

Blaise Winter

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's still on coaching.....he recruited those players. Duke has more AAs than damn near every team in the nation.

I'm sorry, that's not a good coaching job to only beat the teams that are VASTLY inferior to you in talent. Coach K has done better in the past. I'm sure he'll do better in the future.

But this season he was ASS-TASTIC, no way around it.

Absolutely - how the hell can anyone say he did a "great" job this year when there are teams with FAR less talent (Notre Dame, Syracuse, Wisconsin, and many more) that had more successful seasons? He is definitely a great coach, but this year was NOT a great coaching job, and I'm not going to allow that comment to fly when it's bullshit. And if it's "so hard" to do it with the best players in the country, maybe his system is fucked up and he should go back to developing 4-year players? Either way, he did a poor job with that team this year, period.

Also, he's proving to be a liar and a pompous, sanctimonious ass. I'll gladly level the same accusation to Bo Ryan (my team) and numerous others; but for some reason, Coach K doesn't get the amount of flak he deserves.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely - how the hell can anyone say he did a "great" job this year when there are teams with FAR less talent (Notre Dame, Syracuse, Wisconsin, and many more) that had more successful seasons? He is definitely a great coach, but this year was NOT a great coaching job, and I'm not going to allow that comment to fly when it's bullshit. And if it's "so hard" to do it with the best players in the country, maybe his system is fucked up and he should go back to developing 4-year players? Either way, he did a poor job with that team this year, period.

Also, he's proving to be a liar and a pompous, sanctimonious ass. I'll gladly level the same accusation to Bo Ryan (my team) and numerous others; but for some reason, Coach K doesn't get the amount of flak he deserves.

I'm still failing to see how this Duke team had great talent. Fact of the matter is that they didn't have elite talent this year, especially with Jefferson going down. He got the most out of this team. Duke was still a top 15 team this season.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
K is a great coach. Easily one of the best ever. Duke gets talent. Kentucky gets talent. It's easy to look at the stars, but occasionally it just doesn't click. Sometimes raw talent doesn't make that leap in year 1. Both Kentucky and Duke failed to meet expectations. I remember watching them play each other early in the season and I thought neither would be team would be top 5 if Cal and K were not the coaches. Sometimes expectation have more to do about the past, than the present

Thank you. Common Sense!

and no one said Coach K did a "GREAT" job this year... But it wasn't his worst and he didn't "suck" as everyone is saying.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still failing to see how this Duke team had great talent. Fact of the matter is that they didn't have elite talent this year, especially with Jefferson going down. He got the most out of this team. Duke was still a top 15 team this season.

Idk dude. They had Ingram who is clearly elite, plus tripper, jeter and the good lefty with feminine hair were both 5 star recruits. Plumlee is a very good defensive center and can rebound.

The team lacked depth like duke teams of old. But compared to say, the 2010 title team which had a bunch of nobodies on it, this team was loaded.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never got why the Mets brought him back.

They really got what the needed from De Aza. A lefty to split to time with Largares. Maybe add a good rightly platoon guy with Granderson (Ruggiero?) and they'd be in business.

If they were gonna spend money it should've been to upgrade the MIF.

Blaise Winter

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and no one said Coach K did a "GREAT" job this year... But it wasn't his worst and he didn't "suck" as everyone is saying.

Close enough, here's one example:

I'm amazed at what he got out of that team. Now, I'm not amazed at them making the S16 because, well, UNC Wilmington and Yale.

But I thought this was one of K's best coaching jobs, and I hate admitting that. They really weren't that good, and he got a ton out of them after losing their (not best, but) most important player pretty much the entire season

How is what he did with all those top recruits "amazing" and/or one of his best coaching jobs??? It's so ludicrous in light of much better coaching jobs with far less talented rosters right there with him in the Sweet Sixteen: Notre Dame, Syracuse, Wisconsin, Iowa State, Gonzaga, just to name a few.

I know hyperbole when I see it, and this is hyperbole.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Close enough, here's one example:

How is what he did with all those top recruits "amazing" and/or one of his best coaching jobs??? It's so ludicrous in light of much better coaching jobs with far less talented rosters right there with him in the Sweet Sixteen: Notre Dame, Syracuse, Wisconsin, Iowa State, Gonzaga, just to name a few.

I know hyperbole when I see it, and this is hyperbole.

Not all McDonald's AA's are created equal. Chase Jeter and Luke Kennard were McDonald's AA's in name ONLY. There needs to 12 on a roster to fill out a team. The 2015 recruiting class was one of the weakest ever. Plumlee was also a bad choice for a McDonald's AA. I mean seriously just look at the top teams this season. Kansas, UNC, UVA, Oregon, OU, Nova, Michigan State, Miami, Texas A&M, and Utah simply had better rosters.

Also Duke was without it's best front court player for 75% of the season. And K still had them in the top 15, which is where there roster suggests they should be. People saying they have top 10 roster, simply don't know what they are watching.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Tyus Jones returned instead of going to the NBA, and Jefferson doesn't get hurt(averaged a double-double), then we wouldn't be having this discussion. Duke lost their Top 5 players from a Championship team a year ago. When Kentucky did the same thing in 2013 after coming off a National Title, Robert Morris beat them in the first round of the NIT. Remember? On that team? Kyle Wiltjer, Willie Cauley-Stein, Alex Poythress, Nerlens Noel, etc. Coach K got at least got them into the Sweet Sixteen no matter who the fuck they had to play. Those teams beat somebody not good enough to make it. And Oregon was pretty damn good too. Damn, Duke was going to get beat by somebody sooner or later. But because they didn't get a Final Four Coach K did a terrible coaching job? How many teams would have loved to reach a Sweet Sixteen for their season but didn't? Pretty much all of them except 8 teams, right? The 8 that won those games? I bet you don't hold yourself or your team to that high of a standard.