• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN Insider - Ranking every QB into fantasy tiers

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part 1 of 2

Ranking every QB into fantasy tiers
Eric Karabell

One of my favorite reactions to the annual positional tiers blogs is when readers think we’re talking about tears, as in the considerable salty ones shed for those who invested first-round picks in Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck last season. Sure, it didn’t go quite so well, but there’s no need for such an emotional response! Just find another quarterback! And when we’re talking about using a tiered system for position-by-position purposes, that’s precisely what we’re attempting to do -- quantify the value of similar options prior to drafts.

Ranking fantasy football options in tiers is wise for standard drafts as well as auctions, and it’s an easy way to quickly react to sudden or unusual dips in value and gauge supply versus demand. For example, you’re sitting there in Round 5 and debating the next pick, time’s a-runnin’ out, and you see plenty of quarterbacks and wide receivers available in coveted tiers you trust but just one running back at the end of a tier with a significant drop-off to follow. That’s the likely pick -- the running back at the end of the tier -- because when you pick next, you can probably still secure a quarterback or wide receiver you like.

Regardless, using my personal rankings as the guide – and yours should differ! -- here are what I view as draft-day tiers at quarterback. In the weeks ahead, we’ll move on to running back and wide receiver. I urge you to create your own rankings and tier them off, so you can evaluate for yourself how the talent is distributed across these positions and where the depth is in certain ranges, from early rounds to later. Perhaps you want no part of certain players I recommend, which will make your own tiers looks considerably different. And remember, preparation is critical, even in online drafts, for you don’t get much time to make these picks. A tiered system helps.

Tier 1: Round 4

Cam Newton, Carolina Panthers: He finished atop the overall scoring leaderboard in 2015 and, obviously, due to his lofty perch atop the position rankings, a major drop-off isn’t expected. But wait, the fourth round? Yeah, sorry, one shouldn’t be using first- and second-round selections on quarterbacks, at least not these quarterbacks, and because I view these three established veterans similarly for overall fantasy value, I’d just keep waiting. Of course, it’s far more likely Newton goes in Round 1 of average live drafts than Round 4, but it doesn’t bother me.

Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers: So talented, but we do know he needs some help to be a fantasy star. The return of Eddie Lacy and Jordy Nelson provides that. I do trust Rodgers over the other quarterback chosen in Round 1 last year, but again, that never should have happened. Wait a few rounds, at least.

Russell Wilson, Seattle Seahawks: Nine touchdown passes in eight games prior to the bye week. Then he tossed 25 touchdown passes after that. He’ll likely end up in between, but with his legs helping out, he’s certainly reliable enough even for this top tier.

Tier 2: Round 7

Tom Brady, New England Patriots: Surprise! Alone on my island with this one, but I can defend it. Yes, he’s going to miss four games, but the quarterback depth is so great and so many usable quarterbacks with enticing September schedules are unlikely to be selected in most leagues. Also, consider how few are docking Pittsburgh Steelers running back Le’Veon Bell out of Round 2, but he’s scheduled to miss the same four games! Trust me, it’s easier to pluck a suitable September quarterback in Round 12 than it is to secure DeAngelo Williams, because now everyone’s going to want Williams, and not just as a handcuff. Let Brady slide if you desire, but from Week 5 on, I think he might be fantasy’s top player – or it could be Bell, by the way -- and that’s what matters to me. I can be patient.

Tier 3: Round 8

Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers: The weapons change from time to time, but at least he’s got Antonio Brown, the No. 1 overall pick. No reason why Roethlisberger can’t duplicate his outstanding 2014 campaign. Well, health would be a reason, but I wouldn’t call him brittle.

Andrew Luck, Indianapolis Colts: If Luck returns to his 2014 level, then he’s not ranked properly here, but it’s tough to ignore what happened last year. Sure, expect better health, but Luck wasn’t playing well prior to the injuries and interceptions might always remain a problem. Nothing wrong with being in Tier 3, by the way.

Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints: A fine 2015 season that ended with him as the No. 6 quarterback, but I do have a bit of trouble getting past the fact that except for the seven-touchdown monster performance in Week 8, he wasn’t special. He was borderline top-10. Still formidable, but one of these years you’ll regret choosing him. I doubt it’s this year, thus he’s my No. 7 QB.

Tier 4: Round 10

Carson Palmer, Arizona Cardinals: He’s hardly too old to have another great season, especially with those weapons. And by the way, I do not have 10 quarterbacks among my overall top-100. There’s no need. Enjoy the depth later.

Kirk Cousins, Washington Redskins: I rank him higher than most because I actually believe what we saw in the second half of the season was real. I know it seems crazy, but we’ve seen the upside, and if he’s a dud, it won’t be difficult to find another QB.

Philip Rivers, San Diego Chargers: Safe, reliable, underrated and as long as Antonio Gates is a target, he should be fine.

Blake Bortles, Jacksonville Jaguars: Fourth last season in standard scoring, but as with Luck, concerns about the interceptions. Also, it’s tough to rely on so many fourth-quarter fantasy points with the Jags trailing. They should improve and could also opt for a more balanced attack with Chris Ivory joining up.

Eli Manning, New York Giants: Pretty reliable, but he’s finished better than No. 10 among fantasy quarterbacks just once in the past decade, so upside is likely capped.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part 2 of 2

Tier 5: Round 12

Tyrod Taylor, Buffalo Bills: Better last season than most realize, and his legs are a big reason why. Seems sustainable to me.

Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys: I’m an annual defender of his, but yeah, I think we have to worry about him breaking down.

Andy Dalton, Cincinnati Bengals: Solid 2015 season before injury took him out, and it’s not likely a repeatable issue. Still, he’s been a top-10 quarterback only once and not terribly close the other seasons.

Matthew Stafford, Detroit Lions: Losing Calvin Johnson will hurt, but there’s so much volume here, Stafford should top 4,000 passing yards and 25 touchdowns again.

Tier 6: Round 13

Jameis Winston, Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Strong rookie campaign and clear upside here, but expecting 30 total touchdowns (passing and rushing) might be premature. Still, a fine fantasy backup, and it’s worth pointing out most 10-teamers don’t even bother choosing more than one passer.

Marcus Mariota, Tennessee Titans: Only real concern would be the franchise seeming so intent on running the ball more often. Tough to see Mariota approaching 4,000 passing yards.

Tier 7: Round 14 and later

Derek Carr, Oakland Raiders: Lots to like here despite a pretty underwhelming second half of the season. From Week 10 on he reached 20 fantasy points once. More emergence from Amari Cooper should help.

Matt Ryan, Atlanta Falcons: Overrated in statistical circles for years, he’s now settled into deep backup territory, which is fine. Plug him in for a week or two.

Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins: Relatively similar season to when he finished top-10 in 2014, but with a lot fewer rushing yards. Could bounce back with talent around him.

Brock Osweiler, Houston Texans: Anyone who says they know for sure what this former Bronco will do is lying. I think he’ll be inconsistent -- at times very good, at times not so much. That’s a fantasy backup.

Tier 8: Free agents

Joe Flacco, Baltimore Ravens: He’s never reached 4,000 passing yards in a regular season or approached 30 touchdown passes, so don’t confuse January success with fantasy relevance.

Jay Cutler, Chicago Bears: I know it sounds silly, but he was a lot better for our purposes in 2014, when he was turning the ball over, because it came with yards and touchdowns and fun stuff too. Ultimately, he’s so overrated, regardless of his offensive coordinator.

Alex Smith, Kansas City Chiefs: Nobody ever says they have to own this guy, but when you really don’t turn the ball over, it creates some fantasy relevance.

Teddy Bridgewater, Minnesota Vikings: Yep, he’s got some young, exciting weapons now, but nope, I still can’t buy into a breakout. Not with a Hall of Fame running back at the center of the offense.

Ryan Fitzpatrick, New York unemployment line: For a while, I simply assumed he would return to the New York Jets and all would be well. Fitzpatrick just missed being a top-10 quarterback last season. I don’t hold Geno Smith in similar regard.

Jared Goff, Los Angeles Rams: Rookies; they break hearts.

Sam Bradford, Philadelphia Eagles: Give me the rookie instead.

The rest:Robert Griffin III, Cleveland Browns; Paxton Lynch, Denver Broncos; Blaine Gabbert, San Francisco 49ers; Geno Smith, Jets; Colin Kaepernick, 49ers.

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice - although league scoring will alter that list a bit. ... as for the rds, I doubt Luck and Brees make it to rd 8 in 6pt passing TD leagues and Palmer will probably never make it to rd 10.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the list...

But no matter how much the experts preach to wait on QBs Most leagues will not do this... Having a top QB is a must by many owners... and then the problem is that the sooner the first QB goes, the sooner some others go... The market depends on the draft flow