• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Engelland experiment needs to stop

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many years do you give Letang to develop into a Dman??? Lordy! you don't pay someone top $ to develop! Make him a winger. Pull up kids from below to play D and let Engelland walk or take Tanner Glass' spot

To be honest, I wouldn't mind just trading Tang once our pipeline comes up. Ever since he signed that contract he doesn't have the same appeal to me as before.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many years do you give Letang to develop into a Dman??? Lordy! you don't pay someone top $ to develop! Make him a winger. Pull up kids from below to play D and let Engelland walk or take Tanner Glass' spot

I wouldn't say we're waiting for Letang to develop. He was a finalist for the Norris trophy last year, and was the only D-man in the league to average over a point per game last season.

He missed the end of camp this season, plus the first month of games. He's obviously still rounding into form. And I have faith in Shero that he made the correct decision to sign Letang long term. Ray is a disciple of Scott Piole, the Preds GM, and a GM who stresses the need of two-way defensemen in a league that is heavy with parity.

You can't just have two world class talents on your top six and expect to win in this league. Look at the past cup winners; Duncan Keith, Drew Doughty and Zdeno Chara were major reasons why their teams won it all. We need Letang to be that guy for Pittsburgh and I believe he has the necessary talent to be that guy for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember a couple seasons ago I used to think Paul Martin was the most overpaid Penguin, now I feel that way about Tang. Unless he ups his game to the point where he's a top 3 dman in the league, I don't see any justification for that contract. $7.25 million per year for Kris Letang, absolutely ridiculous.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember a couple seasons ago I used to think Paul Martin was the most overpaid Penguin, now I feel that way about Tang. Unless he ups his game to the point where he's a top 3 dman in the league, I don't see any justification for that contract. $7.25 million per year for Kris Letang, absolutely ridiculous.

It's part of the risk you take as a GM/organization hedging your bets on a certain player to be worth league high contracts. If Shero didn't pay him over the summer, he might have ended up playing himself out of Pittsburgh. Maybe with a little more focus on performing in a contract year, his game would look different right now. I hope that isn't the case. Only time will tell.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's part of the risk you take as a GM/organization hedging your bets on a certain player to be worth league high contracts. If Shero didn't pay him over the summer, he might have ended up playing himself out of Pittsburgh. Maybe with a little more focus on performing in a contract year, his game would look different right now. I hope that isn't the case. Only time will tell.

True, but $7.25 million for Tang never made sense to me. I never thought we would've given him more than $6.8 million. Only Shea Weber & Ryan Suter make more than Tang right now, and those 2 are 2 way dmen, unlike Tang who is only an offensive dman. IDK, with our pipeline, was it really necessary to sign Tang to $7.25 million? He's a great offensive dman, but IDK if he's that ELITE.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure which is more over paid and hyped, letang or malkintent. I have to go with the soft Russian...I wish they would have traded his sorry ass

Letang has value as a winger and would be a top scorer in this league...as a Dman, he is average at best. He's offensive...in more ways than one!

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure which is more over paid and hyped, letang or malkintent. I have to go with the soft Russian...I wish they would have traded his sorry ass

Letang has value as a winger and would be a top scorer in this league...as a Dman, he is average at best. He's offensive...in more ways than one!

Geno is the 4th player in NHL history to have won the Calder, Art Ross, Hart, & Conn Smythe (others are Bobby Orr, Bryan Trottier, & Mario). I would say Tang is mover overpaid and overhyped by a long shot.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but $7.25 million for Tang never made sense to me. I never thought we would've given him more than $6.8 million. Only Shea Weber & Ryan Suter make more than Tang right now, and those 2 are 2 way dmen, unlike Tang who is only an offensive dman. IDK, with our pipeline, was it really necessary to sign Tang to $7.25 million? He's a great offensive dman, but IDK if he's that ELITE.

Suter and Weber were also the last two of the ridiculous 12+ year contracts before the strike. The overall value of those deals far outweighs what Shero paid Letang. He happened to be the first D-man in the new CBA to get a eight year top dollar deal, but I can almost guarantee you his days among the top three in regards to his contract will be short-lived, likely as soon as the end of this season when new deals for expiring contacts can be negotiated for next seasons ufa's.

Letang really isn't all by himself, either. Duncan Keith averages 7.6 million in salary dollars, and Drew Doughty, Bryan Campbell and Erik Karllson are all within 500k to 1mil among cap hits per season.

Pietrangelo signed a deal that has him paid above Letang by the end of its term, as well. Letang really got around what the law of averages allow amongst offensive D-men.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno is the 4th player in NHL history to have won the Calder, Art Ross, Hart, & Conn Smythe (others are Bobby Orr, Bryan Trottier, & Mario). I would say Tang is mover overpaid and overhyped by a long shot.

What has he done this year or last? He's not even a top 35 forward! He's worthless and only gets points on the PP...he fucking sucks, is prone to long bouts of not giving a shit on the ice, never plays an entire game like he wants it, and believes his own hype.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What has he done this year or last? He's not even a top 35 forward! He's worthless and only gets points on the PP...he fucking sucks, is prone to long bouts of not giving a shit on the ice, never plays an entire game like he wants it, and believes his own hype.

No he doesn't suck, he just doesn't have his head in the game right now. We've seen countless times in the past when Geno has stepped up his game with the absence of Sid, we need that insurance policy on the team and having the 2 headed monster is what defines this team. Also, considering all he's done for the franchise, it makes perfect sense to reward him with that money. I have no problems with Geno getting paid, he deserves it regardless of his performance this season.

Tang on the other hand hasn't done anything to live up to the contract. A great offensive dman no doubt, but not worth $7.25 million.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL..."he doesn't have his head in the game right now"..."Geno has stepped up his game with the absence of Sid."

Isn't that what I mean by he pouts, doesn't seem to give a shit but for the occasional spurt during a game and truly only shines on the PP...Weak ass Russian. Hasn't done shit for pushing the second year and is paid top dollars and flounders as a top 40 winger...fucking Kunitz is outshining him! He has one more goal than Tanner Glass and the same number as Adams! He fucking blows and is owed a shitload of money for a bunch of years with a No Trade...Putrid POS

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL..."he doesn't have his head in the game right now"..."Geno has stepped up his game with the absence of Sid."

Isn't that what I mean by he pouts, doesn't seem to give a shit but for the occasional spurt during a game and truly only shines on the PP...Weak ass Russian. Hasn't done shit for pushing the second year and is paid top dollars and flounders as a top 40 winger...fucking Kunitz is outshining him! He has one more goal than Tanner Glass and the same number as Adams! He fucking blows and is owed a shitload of money for a bunch of years with a No Trade...Putrid POS

Geno is on a 5 game scoring streak, give it a rest, he's not doing that bad.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW it's funny, I make this thread about Engelland and you make it about Letang. I oblige you in making it about Letang so you make it about Geno. Are you trying to troll me here?

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No....certainly not...just the progression of ranting about Engelland while ignoring the ginormous Russian elephant in the room is redonkulous...and I brought in Letang because if any dman should be made a winger, it should've been him...

And if you think Malkintent is fine...then I think you need your eyes checked as well as doing some research on where he stands in the league and review his contract while you are at it. He is far far far away from fine...9 of his points are on the PP (1G, 8 assists)...he is shooting 6.3%...he fucking sucks.

and he is a -5...

How much does this tank get paid????

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until 5 games ago I would've agreed that Geno needs to pick up his game, but he's for sure picked up his game as of late. Not yet where it should be but getting there. Tang on the other hand has been a liability on defense and not running the PP like we need him to be. Really don't know what more you want from Geno, he's been about as good as Sid as of late.